digitalmars.D - The Great Computer Language Shootout

reply =?iso-8859-1?q?Knud_S=F8rensen?= <knud NetRunner.all-technology.com> writes:
Hi

It might be a good idea to get D
in to the great computer language shootout.
http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/

Knud
Jun 17 2004
next sibling parent Ben Hinkle <bhinkle4 juno.com> writes:
Knud Sørensen wrote:

 Hi

 It might be a good idea to get D
 in to the great computer language shootout.
 http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/

 Knud
see also http://www.functionalfuture.com/d/ I remember poking around with the hashing example and the performance improves when you preallocate the hash table. Otherwise the size of the hash table is 10 slots and it isn't much of a hashing test. Other ways of speeding it up is to use malloc instead of the GC but that is kindof cheating.
Jun 17 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Kevin Bealer <Kevin_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <pan.2004.06.17.20.44.56.165080 NetRunner.all-technology.com>,
=?iso-8859-1?q?Knud_S=F8rensen?= says...
Hi

It might be a good idea to get D
in to the great computer language shootout.
http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/

Knud
I think this is a great idea but for some of the examples, it may be better to wait until the DTL is available. Once the "standard library" can do basic data types above the array level, the lines of code will go way down. The shootout is not just about performance, but features. C++ does well because of the STL. I think the contest sort of stipulates that only very-standard libraries can be used. To be eligible, the DTL may need a "blessing" in the form of being distributed with the compiler or something. (This assumes the DTL does the sorts of things I'm expecting it to, ie container classes, etc?) Kevin
Jun 17 2004
next sibling parent "Matthew" <admin stlsoft.dot.dot.dot.dot.org> writes:
"Kevin Bealer" <Kevin_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:cat9ck$2iuf$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 In article <pan.2004.06.17.20.44.56.165080 NetRunner.all-technology.com>,
 =?iso-8859-1?q?Knud_S=F8rensen?= says...
Hi

It might be a good idea to get D
in to the great computer language shootout.
http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/

Knud
I think this is a great idea but for some of the examples, it may be better to wait until the DTL is available. Once the "standard library" can do basic data types above the array level, the lines of code will go way down. The shootout is not just about performance, but features. C++ does well because of the STL. I think the contest sort of stipulates that only very-standard libraries can be used. To be eligible, the DTL may need a "blessing" in the form of being distributed with the compiler or something.
It will be, as a peer of Phobos.
 (This assumes the DTL does the sorts of things I'm expecting it to, ie
container
 classes, etc?)
It will. Just give me three weeks, and we'll all be laughing. :)
Jun 17 2004
prev sibling parent "Martin M. Pedersen" <martin moeller-pedersen.dk> writes:
"Kevin Bealer" <Kevin_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:cat9ck$2iuf$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 I think this is a great idea but for some of the examples, it may be
better to
 wait until the DTL is available.
 I think the contest sort of stipulates that only very-standard libraries
can be
 used.  To be eligible, the DTL may need a "blessing" in the form of being
 distributed with the compiler or something.
But remember that http://www.digitalmars.com/d/index.html mentions: "C++ implements things like resizable arrays and string concatenation as part of the standard library, not as part of the core language. Not being part of the core language has several suboptimal consequences." as one of the motivations for D. Regards, Martin
Jun 18 2004
prev sibling parent Mark T <Mark_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <pan.2004.06.17.20.44.56.165080 NetRunner.all-technology.com>,
=?iso-8859-1?q?Knud_S=F8rensen?= says...
Hi

It might be a good idea to get D
in to the great computer language shootout.
http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/

Knud
"2004-05-27 The shootout is revived as a Debian Alioth project! All interpreters and compilers updated to Debian unstable revisions. Anything unavailable as a Debian package omitted from project. At this point that means bigforth and mercury are not included." D is not in Debian package form (why should it be) maybe the Win32 shootout http://dada.perl.it/shootout/
Jun 18 2004