digitalmars.D - types

reply Timo Sirainen <tss iki.fi> writes:
I was wondering if D included size_t type at all, and if not what the type
of .length would be. Finally I noticed "32 to 64 Bit Portability"
mentioning it in portability section. How about mentioning it and
ptrdiff_t at least in types section too?

So, since it exists, shouldn't it also be used in Phobos library rather
than restricting everything to uint?

I also noticed std.file.getSize() is documented to return uint, shouldn't
it be at least ulong?

It would also be nice to be able to get compiler warnings with
signed/unsigned comparisions and when assigning/passing an integer
potentially truncates it.
Jun 12 2004
parent "The Dr ... who?" <thedr who.com> writes:
"Timo Sirainen" <tss iki.fi> wrote in message
news:pan.2004.06.12.17.25.52.733397 tss.iki.fi...
 I was wondering if D included size_t type at all, and if not what the type
 of .length would be. Finally I noticed "32 to 64 Bit Portability"
 mentioning it in portability section. How about mentioning it and
 ptrdiff_t at least in types section too?
It does have them. There's some mileage in Java's utilitarian type-system - i.e. you only get what come with the language - and I think Walter hates typedefs/aliases (from having been forced to eat too much bad C food), but I do think there's a middle ground. It's sensible, to me at least, to have these two well-established aliases in our standard (Phobos) bad, since they abstract away concerns of the architecture.
 So, since it exists, shouldn't it also be used in Phobos library rather
 than restricting everything to uint?
Yes. Wherever appropriate.
 I also noticed std.file.getSize() is documented to return uint, shouldn't
 it be at least ulong?
Most certainly.
 It would also be nice to be able to get compiler warnings with
 signed/unsigned comparisions and when assigning/passing an integer
 potentially truncates it.
Oops. You've opened one of our pet hornet's nests. I am honour bound not to comment, so I'll just stand back and watch the debate spring to life, as a Phoenix from the flames ...
Jun 12 2004