digitalmars.D - helloworld example doesn't work

reply kellywilson nowhere.com writes:
Hey everyone,

I just tried out the helloworld example posted at
www.digitalmars.com/d/index.html

and I get this error (with dmd 0.149):

/hello.d(49): function hello.main.argspecs () does not match argument types
(char[][])
/hello.d(49): Error: expected 0 arguments, not 1

/hello.d(49): function hello.main.argspecs () does not match argument types
(char[][])
/hello.d(49): Error: expected 0 arguments, not 1

I can fix things so that they appear to run correctly (except the "argc=..."
part at the end of main(), of course) by just commenting out line 50.

Any ideas as to why it is dying with this version of the compiler? Just too old?
Or is it dying for others?

Thanks,
Kelly Wilson
May 09 2006
next sibling parent "Tony" <ignorethis nowhere.com> writes:
<kellywilson nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:e3ra8h$1gds$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]

Oops. Nothing to do with the compiler version. The following line: specs argspecs() Needs to be changed to: specs argspecs(char[][] args) Tony Melbourne, Australia
May 09 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent "Tony" <ignorethis nowhere.com> writes:
[...]

I'd like to retract my last post :) Since the example is supposed to demonstrate an inner function referencing outer variables, it would be better to change the line: argspecs(args).count, argspecs(args).allocated); to: argspecs().count, argspecs().allocated); Tony Melbourne, Australia
May 09 2006
prev sibling parent reply Derek Parnell <derek psych.ward> writes:
 I just tried out the helloworld example posted at
 www.digitalmars.com/d/index.html

 and I get this error (with dmd 0.149):

 /hello.d(49): function hello.main.argspecs () does not match argument types
 (char[][])
 /hello.d(49): Error: expected 0 arguments, not 1

 /hello.d(49): function hello.main.argspecs () does not match argument types
 (char[][])
 /hello.d(49): Error: expected 0 arguments, not 1

 I can fix things so that they appear to run correctly (except the "argc=..."
 part at the end of main(), of course) by just commenting out line 50.

 Any ideas as to why it is dying with this version of the compiler? Just too
old?
 Or is it dying for others?

 Thanks,
 Kelly Wilson
This code is buggy. I added corrected and expanded code at the wikibooks site. http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Programming:D/First_Program_Examples#Example_3 -- Derek (skype: derek.j.parnell) Melbourne, Australia "Down with mediocracy!" 10/05/2006 1:50:09 PM
May 09 2006
parent kellywilson nowhere.com writes:
Right. I knew I saw that code with a lot of comments somewhere...but the first
example seen on digitalmars/d should be bug free, if possible. So I guess Tony,
or someone, should fix it if possible.

Thanks,
Kelly Wilson

In article <1r9mj4arbawc1$.1qxauyo3805qi.dlg 40tude.net>, Derek Parnell says...