digitalmars.D - Logo sketches for D

reply Gal Tiberiu <Gal_member pathlink.com> writes:
http://dworks.marte.ro/logos.png

I made some logos for the new D look.
They are free for anyone in the D comunity for any project, contact me if you
need the sources...
May 05 2006
next sibling parent reply kris <foo bar.com> writes:
Gal Tiberiu wrote:
 http://dworks.marte.ro/logos.png

 I made some logos for the new D look.
 They are free for anyone in the D comunity for any project, contact me if you
 need the sources...

Very nice! How do we reach you? The "contact" tag on the above site seems to be broken?
May 05 2006
parent Gal Tiberiu <Gal_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <e3eun1$2dkj$1 digitaldaemon.com>, kris says...
Gal Tiberiu wrote:
 http://dworks.marte.ro/logos.png

 I made some logos for the new D look.
 They are free for anyone in the D comunity for any project, contact me if you
 need the sources...

Very nice! How do we reach you? The "contact" tag on the above site seems to be broken?
i'll fix it someday, till then: un_guru yahoo.com
May 05 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent EricH <Eric.Heaton.UK -AT-Removegmail.com> writes:
Gal Tiberiu wrote:
 http://dworks.marte.ro/logos.png

 I made some logos for the new D look.
 They are free for anyone in the D comunity for any project, contact me if you
 need the sources...
Excellent work, my artwork is at best bad these are great thanks!
May 05 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent lanael <lanael_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <e3etvn$2cb9$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Gal Tiberiu says...
http://dworks.marte.ro/logos.png

I made some logos for the new D look.
They are free for anyone in the D comunity for any project, contact me if you
need the sources...
Very nice ! The 1st logo is my favorite one. ( would be even better in red ! ) The 4th one looks like the Starfleet logo ! Very geeky :)
May 05 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent reply pragma <pragma_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <e3etvn$2cb9$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Gal Tiberiu says...
http://dworks.marte.ro/logos.png

I made some logos for the new D look.
They are free for anyone in the D comunity for any project, contact me if you
need the sources...
Most impressive. :) I have to say, I like how inspired and edgy some of the others are (most notably 2 and 7) but the first one sticks in my mind as the clear winner. One critique/request: can you do that one using red and a second smaller 'moon' as to further seal in the Mars references we have going on around here? I think that might give that particular logo a truely "D" feel. - EricAnderton at yahoo
May 05 2006
parent Fredrik Olsson <peylow gmail.com> writes:
pragma skrev:
 In article <e3etvn$2cb9$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Gal Tiberiu says...

http://dworks.marte.ro/logos.png

I made some logos for the new D look.
They are free for anyone in the D comunity for any project, contact me if you
need the sources...
Most impressive. :) I have to say, I like how inspired and edgy some of the others are (most notably 2 and 7) but the first one sticks in my mind as the clear winner. One critique/request: can you do that one using red and a second smaller 'moon' as to further seal in the Mars references we have going on around here? I think that might give that particular logo a truely "D" feel. - EricAnderton at yahoo
Yes, nice indeed. And I could not help myself but to play with the red Mars and moons idea. This is my quick and dirty result: http://peylow.no-ip.org/~peylow/marsd.png http://peylow.no-ip.org/~peylow/marsd-banner.png Could use a slight gradient for the red. But overall I believe less design, is better design. // Fredrik
May 06 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent Olaf Pohlmann <op nospam.org> writes:
Gal Tiberiu wrote:
 http://dworks.marte.ro/logos.png
The forths look great, even though I have no idea what it should be. If I had the skills I would try something like an anology to this formation on Mars that looks like a face, but in the shape of a D instead. http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&q=%22face%20on%20mars%22&btnG=Google+Search&sa=N&tab=wi The proportion would have to be changed "a bit" to recognize it as a planet. op
May 05 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent Brad Anderson <brad dsource.org> writes:
Gal Tiberiu wrote:
 http://dworks.marte.ro/logos.png

 I made some logos for the new D look.
 They are free for anyone in the D comunity for any project, contact me if you
 need the sources...

http://www.dsource.org/chrome/common/d-logo-1.png Um okay, I'm no graphic artist... back to the salt mines. BA
May 05 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Sean Kelly <sean f4.ca> writes:
I like 1 the best, though 8 has a lot of geek appeal.  However, since
this is a Mars theme, perhaps the blue in 1 should be red instead?

Sean
May 05 2006
parent reply Dave <Dave_member pathlink.com> writes:
Sean Kelly wrote:
 I like 1 the best, though 8 has a lot of geek appeal.  However, since
 this is a Mars theme, perhaps the blue in 1 should be red instead?

 Sean
Ditto.
May 05 2006
parent reply Gal Tiberiu <Gal_member pathlink.com> writes:
ok, red mars, two moons ...

http://dworks.marte.ro/template1.png
http://dworks.marte.ro/template2.png
May 06 2006
next sibling parent reply "Alberto Simon" <lugaidster gmail.com> writes:
Amazing!!! Could you please share those logos? I loved them both and the
templates also.

"Gal Tiberiu" <Gal_member pathlink.com> escribió en el mensaje
news:e3hori$26ui$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 ok, red mars, two moons ...

 http://dworks.marte.ro/template1.png
 http://dworks.marte.ro/template2.png

May 06 2006
parent BCS <BCS_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <e3hpa5$27fu$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Alberto Simon says...
Amazing!!! Could you please share those logos? I loved them both and the
templates also.

"Gal Tiberiu" <Gal_member pathlink.com> escribió en el mensaje
news:e3hori$26ui$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 ok, red mars, two moons ...

 http://dworks.marte.ro/template1.png
 http://dworks.marte.ro/template2.png

book. I go back and forth between a 56Kb and 2.5Gb uplinks, which makes me really notice slow web-pages.
May 06 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent kellywilson nowhere.com writes:
In article <e3hori$26ui$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Gal Tiberiu says...
ok, red mars, two moons ...

http://dworks.marte.ro/template1.png
http://dworks.marte.ro/template2.png
Looks great! Template1 is definately better for me, as far as overall page design. Links blend well and then the "D Programming" logo stands out. K.Wilson
May 06 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent xs0 <xs0 xs0.com> writes:
Gal Tiberiu wrote:
 ok, red mars, two moons ...

 http://dworks.marte.ro/template1.png
 http://dworks.marte.ro/template2.png
I quite like the first one, with two comments: - making the logo orangish instead of purplish would work better, I think, and would also match the actual planet better - why "D programming" instead of "D language"? xs0
May 06 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent Hasan Aljudy <hasan.aljudy gmail.com> writes:
Gal Tiberiu wrote:
 ok, red mars, two moons ...

 http://dworks.marte.ro/template1.png
 http://dworks.marte.ro/template2.png

Wow, very impressive! <thumbs up> I like the first one better.
May 06 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent Nils Hensel <nils.hensel web.de> writes:
Gal Tiberiu schrieb:
 ok, red mars, two moons ...

 http://dworks.marte.ro/template1.png
 http://dworks.marte.ro/template2.png

The first template looks very clear and professional. Very good work! The second one is too red and too flat IMHO. Nils
May 06 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent "charles" <admin tdjonline.com> writes:

D.

prev sibling next sibling parent reply John Demme <me teqdruid.com> writes:
Gal Tiberiu wrote:

 ok, red mars, two moons ...

 http://dworks.marte.ro/template1.png
 http://dworks.marte.ro/template2.png
Number 1 is amazing, but the blue globe doesn't relate. What's it got to do with D, Digital Mars, or programming? I also agree with the comment about the D logo being a bit more orangish. ~John Demme
May 06 2006
parent Justin C Calvarese <technocrat7 gmail.com> writes:
John Demme wrote:
 Gal Tiberiu wrote:

 ok, red mars, two moons ...

 http://dworks.marte.ro/template1.png
 http://dworks.marte.ro/template2.png
Number 1 is amazing, but the blue globe doesn't relate. What's it got to do with D, Digital Mars, or programming?
Maybe it could be changed to a red Mars globe? http://www.google.com/mars/#map=visible -- jcc7
May 06 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Walter Bright <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
Gal Tiberiu wrote:
 ok, red mars, two moons ...

 http://dworks.marte.ro/template1.png
 http://dworks.marte.ro/template2.png
Getting better! 1) The moons should be different sizes. 2) Try making the night side black, the day side red. 3) The moons should have the night side black, the day side white (or grey). 4) It would be fun to perhaps make it an animated gif, with the moons revolving about the planet!
May 06 2006
parent reply pmoore <pmoore_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <e3ivfc$sgt$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Walter Bright says...
Gal Tiberiu wrote:
 ok, red mars, two moons ...

 http://dworks.marte.ro/template1.png
 http://dworks.marte.ro/template2.png
I think both of these designs are excellent
Getting better!

1) The moons should be different sizes.
2) Try making the night side black, the day side red.
3) The moons should have the night side black, the day side white (or grey).
4) It would be fun to perhaps make it an animated gif, with the moons
revolving about the planet!
^^ Please don't do that. No animated gifs
May 06 2006
pmoore wrote:
 In article <e3ivfc$sgt$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Walter Bright says...
 4) It would be fun to perhaps make it an animated gif, with the moons
 revolving about the planet!
^^ Please don't do that. No animated gifs
I'm curious, why?
May 06 2006
parent reply pmoore <pmoore_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <e3j1gp$uf1$2 digitaldaemon.com>, Walter Bright says...
pmoore wrote:
 In article <e3ivfc$sgt$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Walter Bright says...
 4) It would be fun to perhaps make it an animated gif, with the moons
 revolving about the planet!
^^ Please don't do that. No animated gifs
I'm curious, why?
Because there is nothing more likely to make your website look cheap and amateurish than an animated gif logo. Or wav sound effects.
May 06 2006
 pmoore wrote:
 In article <e3ivfc$sgt$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Walter Bright says...
 4) It would be fun to perhaps make it an animated gif, with the moons
 revolving about the planet!
^^ Please don't do that. No animated gifs
I'm curious, why?
Because there is nothing more likely to make your website look cheap and amateurish than an animated gif logo. Or wav sound effects.
I agree with you about the wav files! But I always liked that old netscape revolving logo.
May 06 2006
next sibling parent Georg Wrede <georg.wrede nospam.org> writes:
Walter Bright wrote:
 pmoore wrote:
 Walter Bright says...
 pmoore wrote:
 Please don't do that. No animated gifs
I'm curious, why?
Because there is nothing more likely to make your website look cheap and amateurish than an animated gif logo. Or wav sound effects.
I agree with you about the wav files! But I always liked that old netscape revolving logo.
Well, in this partucular situation, we have to think big. And big means, the D logo all over Jobs Ads across The Times, several different web sites, some of which are D related, some others like SlashDot & Co, you name it. A daily newspaper can't support a moving logo. Nor can Office Stationery. Some other sites can't support a very large logo, and some others can't support a too small logo. So, my suggestion is to take (this young man's, I forget his name) logo suggestion seriously, and definitely not even think about animated logos for D.
May 06 2006
prev sibling parent reply Gal Tiberiu <Gal_member pathlink.com> writes:
 pmoore wrote:
 In article <e3ivfc$sgt$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Walter Bright says...
 4) It would be fun to perhaps make it an animated gif, with the moons
 revolving about the planet!
^^ Please don't do that. No animated gifs
I'm curious, why?
Because there is nothing more likely to make your website look cheap and amateurish than an animated gif logo. Or wav sound effects.
I agree with you about the wav files! But I always liked that old netscape revolving logo.
I was thinking about this, not a gif, but a flash animation, and not as logo but as presentation, a front page effect... The logo must be static.
May 07 2006
parent Gal Tiberiu <Gal_member pathlink.com> writes:
About the "D programming" text in the logo, maybe we should change it to "d
language" or something else, as we all know dprogramming.com is a diferent
website (it's still related to D)
May 07 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent "Chris Miller" <chris dprogramming.com> writes:
On Sat, 06 May 2006 16:29:53 -0400, pmoore <pmoore_member pathlink.com>
 4) It would be fun to perhaps make it an animated gif, with the moons
 revolving about the planet!
^^ Please don't do that. No animated gifs
I wouldn't mind it doing it once, but a loop might not be so good.
May 06 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent Bruno Medeiros <brunodomedeirosATgmail SPAM.com> writes:
pmoore wrote:
 In article <e3ivfc$sgt$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Walter Bright says...

 4) It would be fun to perhaps make it an animated gif, with the moons
 revolving about the planet!
^^ Please don't do that. No animated gifs
Strongly agree! -- Bruno Medeiros - CS/E student http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?BrunoMedeiros#D
May 07 2006
 Gal Tiberiu wrote:
 ok, red mars, two moons ...

 http://dworks.marte.ro/template1.png
 http://dworks.marte.ro/template2.png
I think both of these designs are excellent
 4) It would be fun to perhaps make it an animated gif, with the moons
 revolving about the planet!
^^ Please don't do that. No animated gifs
I agree, but an animated logo would be great in an about box...
May 08 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "Jarrett Billingsley" <kb3ctd2 yahoo.com> writes:
"Gal Tiberiu" <Gal_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:e3hori$26ui$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 ok, red mars, two moons ...

 http://dworks.marte.ro/template1.png
 http://dworks.marte.ro/template2.png
I really like the second one. I think the first one looks like a BS website for some global corporation that makes money by coming up with business speak. The second one looks technical, but still welcoming, as well as being easier to modify (not so many complex images that have to fit together nicely). And again, I'm a sucker for grey-and-red color schemes ;)
May 06 2006
next sibling parent reply pmoore <pmoore_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <e3j0lt$tpt$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Jarrett Billingsley says...
"Gal Tiberiu" <Gal_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:e3hori$26ui$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 ok, red mars, two moons ...

 http://dworks.marte.ro/template1.png
 http://dworks.marte.ro/template2.png
I really like the second one. I think the first one looks like a BS website for some global corporation that makes money by coming up with business speak. The second one looks technical, but still welcoming, as well as being easier to modify (not so many complex images that have to fit together nicely). And again, I'm a sucker for grey-and-red color schemes ;)
Yes I prefer the second one. At first I didn't like the red tabs but having looked at it a couple more times it is growing on me. I think that colour is bold and distinctive .
May 06 2006
parent reply FunkyM <FunkyM_member pathlink.com> writes:
Looks like lot's of things are coming up for D now ;)

Adding my "inspiriations" into the round aswell:
http://www.sukimashita.com/d/

Wouldn't it make sense to create a dsource.org forum thread and list all logo
ideas? (Same for website layout proposals I guess as some stuff might get
lost/forgotten)
May 06 2006
next sibling parent "Jarrett Billingsley" <kb3ctd2 yahoo.com> writes:
"FunkyM" <FunkyM_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:e3j72u$16n7$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Looks like lot's of things are coming up for D now ;)

 Adding my "inspiriations" into the round aswell:
 http://www.sukimashita.com/d/
I really like the D (the letter D) logos. The ones marked... D. This is really hard to say. :)
May 06 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent Daniel Keep <daniel.keep.lists gmail.com> writes:
FunkyM wrote:
 Looks like lot's of things are coming up for D now ;)

 Adding my "inspiriations" into the round aswell:
 http://www.sukimashita.com/d/

 Wouldn't it make sense to create a dsource.org forum thread and list all logo
 ideas? (Same for website layout proposals I guess as some stuff might get
 lost/forgotten)

Ok, wow. I don't get the dolphin reference (except maybe that it starts with "D"), but the logos in section "D" are awesome! To be honest, I like the first one better; feels edgy, and has a very simple outline, but I also like the symbolism in the second one. In fact, if you took away the red background, you'd *still* have a good, distinctive logo. I think it's critically important to be able to break a logo down to its most basic black and white shapes, and still have it recognisable (eg: faxes don't support colour, and simple two-colour logos are more versatile). Absolutely no offence to Gal (you do better work than I do!). So here's a +1 vote for the fourth group of logos, with a slight preference to the first of the two :) -- Daniel -- v1sw5+8Yhw5ln4+5pr6OFma8u6+7Lw4Tm6+7l6+7D a2Xs3MSr2e4/6+7t4TNSMb6HTOp5en5g6RAHCP http://hackerkey.com/
May 06 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent nick <nick.atamas gmail.com> writes:
FunkyM wrote:
 Looks like lot's of things are coming up for D now ;)

 Adding my "inspiriations" into the round aswell:
 http://www.sukimashita.com/d/

 Wouldn't it make sense to create a dsource.org forum thread and list all logo
 ideas? (Same for website layout proposals I guess as some stuff might get
 lost/forgotten)
Those are quite good. I would have to say F (greyscale) and E (red) are my favorites. The only nitpick is that the category E items seem to be less than perfectly circular. That's an easy fix though. Fantastic work. --Nick.
May 09 2006
prev sibling parent reply Anonymous <Anonymous_member pathlink.com> writes:
Very cool, I like A3 , or F.

In article <e3j72u$16n7$1 digitaldaemon.com>, FunkyM says...
Looks like lot's of things are coming up for D now ;)

Adding my "inspiriations" into the round aswell:
http://www.sukimashita.com/d/

Wouldn't it make sense to create a dsource.org forum thread and list all logo
ideas? (Same for website layout proposals I guess as some stuff might get
lost/forgotten)
May 09 2006
parent Sjoerd van Leent <svanleent gmail.com> writes:
Can't make a choice....

Anonymous schreef:
 Very cool, I like A3 , or F.

 In article <e3j72u$16n7$1 digitaldaemon.com>, FunkyM says...
 Looks like lot's of things are coming up for D now ;)

 Adding my "inspiriations" into the round aswell:
 http://www.sukimashita.com/d/

 Wouldn't it make sense to create a dsource.org forum thread and list all logo
 ideas? (Same for website layout proposals I guess as some stuff might get
 lost/forgotten)
May 26 2006
prev sibling parent Georg Wrede <georg.wrede nospam.org> writes:
Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
 Holey man!

 And again, I'm a sucker for grey-and-red color schemes ;)
McLaren, here you have it: your next sponsor will be D. (Or was it the other way around????)
May 06 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent reply pragma <pragma_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <e3hori$26ui$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Gal Tiberiu says...
ok, red mars, two moons ...

http://dworks.marte.ro/template1.png
http://dworks.marte.ro/template2.png
Thank you. That looks outstanding - and those templates are sweet! - EricAnderton at yahoo
May 06 2006
parent kris <foo bar.com> writes:
pragma wrote:
 In article <e3hori$26ui$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Gal Tiberiu says...

ok, red mars, two moons ...

http://dworks.marte.ro/template1.png
http://dworks.marte.ro/template2.png
Thank you. That looks outstanding - and those templates are sweet!
Yes, aren't they? Really nice work
May 06 2006
prev sibling parent reply John Reimer <terminal.node gmail.com> writes:
Gal Tiberiu wrote:
 ok, red mars, two moons ...

 http://dworks.marte.ro/template1.png
 http://dworks.marte.ro/template2.png

I just want to point out that these are excellent replacements for Walter's own personal D site. But I'm wondering whether it's wise to adopt the Mars theme for a general/public D site. As the D language captures more attention, it would be best to avoid too much relationship with Walter's company (via Mars logo): this might create tunnel-vision in newcomers, causing people to feel the D language is of a proprietary nature. I think it's in Walter's best interest to separate the language from the compiler. Therefore, the Mars theme should represent his own D implementation. A separate D website under Walter's control should represent the language... minus the Mars logos, but with links to his free compiler implementation of the language as well as the GDC implementation. I guess this is more a discussion for the other topic currently going on. Just a thought, JJR
May 06 2006
next sibling parent reply Georg Wrede <georg.wrede nospam.org> writes:
John Reimer wrote:
 I just want to point out that these are excellent replacements for
 Walter's own personal D site.  But I'm wondering whether it's wise to
 adopt the Mars theme for a general/public D site.  As the D language
 captures more attention, it would be best to avoid too much relationship
 with Walter's company (via Mars logo): this might create tunnel-vision
 in newcomers, causing people to feel the D language is of a proprietary
 nature.  I think it's in Walter's best interest to separate the language
 from the compiler.

 Therefore, the Mars theme should represent his own D implementation.  A
 separate D website under Walter's control should represent the
 language... minus the Mars logos, but with links to his free compiler
 implementation of the language as well as the GDC implementation.
Good thinking. Although I guess it should be public knowledge that D is created by Digital Mars. (Or Walter directly?) So, that should be visible, but maybe not too prominently. And of course, there could be a banner ad on top of every page, advertising DMD as "the best compiler you can get for D".
May 07 2006
next sibling parent John Reimer <terminal.node gmail.com> writes:
Georg Wrede wrote:
 John Reimer wrote:
[...]

Absolutely. :) I just think there's got to be more separation then there is at present. -JJR
May 07 2006
prev sibling parent Gal Tiberiu <Gal_member pathlink.com> writes:
I got tired reading this newsgroup, I jut hate it. I know about clients and
folding, I stil hate it and it's nothing you can do about it but to change it.
.. but that's not an issue.

More orange, night side-day side, bigger phobos?... do we need a logo or the
mars itself?! Really, mars is not orange at all, it light brown, rusty, copper;
phobos it bigger than deimos and about it's 1% of mars size ...and mars it's
populated by little green bugs.(some of you might think I'm joking, I'm not)

A logo is distinctive graphical element, it should not be the answer, nighter a
clear image of whatever it represents. Think of nike, it's one of the most
popular symbols in the world, what does it mean? nothing at all!
In my first logo sketches I never tried to represent mars, but D ...that's the
issue around here(and John Riemer said it right). Although, D has this mars
connections though digital mars, so it ok to catch both D and Mars into a logo,
and that what I am trying to do.
Can't be more orange. Orange is problematic color in design you can't use any
orange shade, and it leaves you with quite few color combinations. So mars is
red.
There is no sense to make diferent size moons, we are looking for a simbol, I
don't think we are writing an astronomy book. And who do you think know all
about mars? how many people knows the moons of mars? how many knows the position
of mars in our sollar system? I think a little red baloon is mars enough. and if
you can read the "d" on it, you'll link it to digital mars. And if someone can't
find the connection, I think he's not ready for programming at all.(just kiding)

About templates. The first one is a corporate style, you should sell something
expensive with that image, and it comes with a 70 kb overload of images.
The second one is light and clear, i think it's best for D.

Anyway, everyone has an oppinion and there are some interesting argument around
the subject... contact me if you mede a decision and you need my help
May 07 2006
prev sibling parent reply Bruno Medeiros <brunodomedeirosATgmail SPAM.com> writes:
John Reimer wrote:
 Gal Tiberiu wrote:
[...]

Java is also strongly associated with Sun, yet it is not proprietary, nor any less popular because of that. -- Bruno Medeiros - CS/E student http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?BrunoMedeiros#D
May 07 2006
next sibling parent "Alberto Simon" <lugaidster gmail.com> writes:
That's not entirely true though (Sun v/s Microsoft battles) Many companies
that used to work with Java that were also related Microsoft dumped Java in
favor of .NET languages (And I should know)... But that's just another
story, D and it's relation to Digitalmars shoudn't have that kind of issues.

Regards,
Alberto Simon

"Bruno Medeiros" <brunodomedeirosATgmail SPAM.com> escribió en el mensaje
news:e3kesr$2l5j$1 digitaldaemon.com...

prev sibling parent reply =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anders_F_Bj=F6rklund?= <afb algonet.se> writes:
Bruno Medeiros wrote:

 Therefore, the Mars theme should represent his own D implementation.
 A separate D website under Walter's control should represent the
 language... minus the Mars logos, but with links to his free compiler
 implementation of the language as well as the GDC implementation.
[...]
 Java is also strongly associated with Sun, yet it is not proprietary,
 nor any less popular because of that.
Hmmm... Some people would disagree with that: * http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/java-trap.html http://gcc.gnu.org/java/ http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath/faq/faq.html * http://incubator.apache.org/harmony/ But one of the major differences is that Sun uses the SCSL, while DMD instead uses the free/open GPL/Artistic licenses... So there is no similar need for a petition for DigitalMars to "open" D, even if the language specification isn't open ? But a "neutral" D language/library site would still be good. (in addition to the one for DMD, and the [future] one for GDC) Meanwhile, before there is that final / official D "portal", I think we can use Wiki4D and Dsource - just as we have been ? --anders
May 07 2006
Anders F Björklund wrote:
 Bruno Medeiros wrote:

 Therefore, the Mars theme should represent his own D implementation.
 A separate D website under Walter's control should represent the
 language... minus the Mars logos, but with links to his free compiler
 implementation of the language as well as the GDC implementation.
[...]
 Java is also strongly associated with Sun, yet it is not proprietary,
 nor any less popular because of that.
Hmmm... Some people would disagree with that:
With what statement? (there were 3 :P ) If you meant the first ("Java is also strongly associated with Sun"), actually I kinda meant the Java main site (java.sun.com) -- Bruno Medeiros - CS/E student http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?BrunoMedeiros#D
May 07 2006
Bruno Medeiros wrote:

 Hmmm... Some people would disagree with that:
With what statement? (there were 3 :P )
Both: "Java is not proprietary" and "Java is not less popular", because of the strong association with Sun Microsystems, Inc ?
 If you meant the first ("Java is also strongly associated with Sun"),
 actually I kinda meant the Java main site (java.sun.com)
Yeah, but they also have www.java.com in addition to that ? --anders
May 07 2006
Anders F Björklund wrote:
 Bruno Medeiros wrote:
 If you meant the first ("Java is also strongly associated with Sun"),
 actually I kinda meant the Java main site (java.sun.com)
Yeah, but they also have www.java.com in addition to that ? --anders
They still have the text "Sun Microsystems" under the java logos, plus one on the footer. And that's a page for non-developer users. -- Bruno Medeiros - CS/E student http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?BrunoMedeiros#D
May 08 2006
Bruno Medeiros wrote:
 Anders F Björklund wrote:
 Bruno Medeiros wrote:
 If you meant the first ("Java is also strongly associated with Sun"),
 actually I kinda meant the Java main site (java.sun.com)
Yeah, but they also have www.java.com in addition to that ? --anders
They still have the text "Sun Microsystems" under the java logos, plus one on the footer. And that's a page for non-developer users.
We're talking very different approaches to marketing. Sun did this because they could (and still can now that they have momentum). They had lots of marketing dollars behind them to push Java through all barriers. Yet I believe there always was some annoyance to the fact that Java had so much control of the language. Walter doesn't have this option. Like other languages that have been popularized from such meager beginnings, it is better, I think, to make the proprietary connection a little less apparent so people don't disregard it as just another proprietary language. In this case, Walter has no mass of funds to market his language in spite of such bias. I believe many people don't like seeing languages which appear to be controlled by a single company (I don't; I've made D an exception because despite initial appearances it is fairly open). Microsoft can ubiquitous, and it's funds are practically unlimited. The same goes for Java to some extent. The more I see the digitalmars.com site, the more I realize this: the D language link is embedded within a commercial site with very little public face to show apart from it. I think the discussion in the other thread is attempting to fix this problem, and I think that is great news! -JJR
May 08 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "charles" <admin tdjonline.com> writes:

was in red , the mars thing :).

Charlie

"Gal Tiberiu" <Gal_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:e3etvn$2cb9$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 http://dworks.marte.ro/logos.png

 I made some logos for the new D look.
 They are free for anyone in the D comunity for any project, contact me if
you
 need the sources...
May 05 2006
parent "Ook" <nousenetspam nospamzootal.com> writes:

"charles" <admin tdjonline.com> wrote in message
news:e3g3me$211s$1 digitaldaemon.com...

 it
 was in red , the mars thing :).

 Charlie

 "Gal Tiberiu" <Gal_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
 news:e3etvn$2cb9$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 http://dworks.marte.ro/logos.png

 I made some logos for the new D look.
 They are free for anyone in the D comunity for any project, contact me if
you
 need the sources...
May 05 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent Thomas Kuehne <thomas-dloop kuehne.cn> writes:
May 05 2006
prev sibling parent reply icee <icee_member pathlink.com> writes:
I think the 1st one is outstanding and simple enough, maybe a RED one is even
better,

but i will always use my GREEN mars:

http://icube.freezope.org/img/dmd_sm_1.gif

for D, till Walter release the official one.

parent reply Kyle Furlong <kylefurlong gmail.com> writes:
icee wrote:
 I think the 1st one is outstanding and simple enough, maybe a RED one is even
 better,

 but i will always use my GREEN mars:

 http://icube.freezope.org/img/dmd_sm_1.gif

 for D, till Walter release the official one.

 In article <e3etvn$2cb9$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Gal Tiberiu says...
 http://dworks.marte.ro/logos.png

 I made some logos for the new D look.
 They are free for anyone in the D comunity for any project, contact me if you
 need the sources...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0553572393/002-8763492-69480 0?v=glance&n=283155 ? -- Kyle Furlong // Physics Undergrad, UCSB "D is going wherever the D community wants it to go." - Walter Bright
May 07 2006
parent reply icee <icee_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <e3mkag$1vju$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Kyle Furlong says...
icee wrote:
 I think the 1st one is outstanding and simple enough, maybe a RED one is even
 better,

 but i will always use my GREEN mars:

 http://icube.freezope.org/img/dmd_sm_1.gif

 for D, till Walter release the official one.

 In article <e3etvn$2cb9$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Gal Tiberiu says...
 http://dworks.marte.ro/logos.png

 I made some logos for the new D look.
 They are free for anyone in the D comunity for any project, contact me if you
 need the sources...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0553572393/002-8763492-69480 0?v=glance&n=283155 ? -- Kyle Furlong // Physics Undergrad, UCSB "D is going wherever the D community wants it to go." - Walter Bright
a BLUE one.
May 08 2006
parent reply Gal Tiberiu <Gal_member pathlink.com> writes:
some more work,

http://dworks.marte.ro/logo1.png
http://dworks.marte.ro/logo2.png
http://dworks.marte.ro/logo3.png
http://dworks.marte.ro/logo5.png
http://dworks.marte.ro/logo6.png
May 09 2006
Gal Tiberiu wrote:
 some more work,

 http://dworks.marte.ro/logo1.png
 http://dworks.marte.ro/logo2.png
 http://dworks.marte.ro/logo3.png
 http://dworks.marte.ro/logo5.png
 http://dworks.marte.ro/logo6.png

Gal, what software do you use to create these? They are very good. I would like to try my hand at this stuff. Do you use vector based drawing software? -JJR
May 09 2006
parent reply Gal Tiberiu <Gal_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <e3pi09$1ebt$2 digitaldaemon.com>, John Reimer says...
Gal Tiberiu wrote:
 some more work,

 http://dworks.marte.ro/logo1.png
 http://dworks.marte.ro/logo2.png
 http://dworks.marte.ro/logo3.png
 http://dworks.marte.ro/logo5.png
 http://dworks.marte.ro/logo6.png

Gal, what software do you use to create these? They are very good. I would like to try my hand at this stuff. Do you use vector based drawing software? -JJR
this are made with ulead photoipact. It's both vector and bitmaps with lots of eyecandy effects.
May 09 2006
In article <e3pl6i$1j0t$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Gal Tiberiu says...
Gal Tiberiu wrote:
 some more work,

 http://dworks.marte.ro/logo1.png
 http://dworks.marte.ro/logo2.png
 http://dworks.marte.ro/logo3.png
 http://dworks.marte.ro/logo5.png
 http://dworks.marte.ro/logo6.png

Gal, what software do you use to create these? They are very good. I would like to try my hand at this stuff. Do you use vector based drawing software? -JJR
this are made with ulead photoipact. It's both vector and bitmaps with lots of eyecandy effects.
Gal, I have to say, I really like this recent crop of ideas. All of these are simply brilliant. As for photoimpact, you may have just sold me on it. If I ever find my gimp/inkscape setup lagging behind the curve, I might just pick up a copy (its much less expensive than photoshop by the looks of it). - EricAnderton at yahoo
May 09 2006

Gal Tiberiu wrote:

some more work,

http://dworks.marte.ro/logo1.png
http://dworks.marte.ro/logo2.png
http://dworks.marte.ro/logo3.png
http://dworks.marte.ro/logo5.png
http://dworks.marte.ro/logo6.png
Gal, what software do you use to create these? They are very good. I would like to try my hand at this stuff. Do you use vector based drawing software? -JJR
this are made with ulead photoipact. It's both vector and bitmaps with lots of eyecandy effects.
I love your idea of the D-like symbol resembling Mars. It is a symbol with potential to be remembered forever like Apple's apple or Atari's fuji. It also connects D and Mars, I am myself not found of "D Language". I can not see D take on C as a brand, as D alone it is barely mimicking. And if you go and call it the D Language, well then you pretty much end up with "the D Language programming language", and that is just awkward :). I think the best name is actually "Mars D", it is short and memorable (good for google), no problem to still call it simply D if you like, it connects well with it's roots; Walter and Digital Mars. I repost my own variation of the theme. http://peylow.no-ip.org/~peylow/marsd.png The font sucks, I liked the one you used in the first post better but do not know the name. I have tried to keep the colors to be discrete, and no gradients or anything (Works in monochrome). I think the "original" design should be ultra simple vector thingy (Like Apple's post -98 apple), and then allow for customizations depending on the media (Like Apple using a raised metal apple-variation etc). // Fredrik
May 09 2006