digitalmars.D - Proposal: Operator overloading without temporaries

reply Don Clugston <dac nospam.com.au> writes:
Background: Operator overloading, in the form it exists in C++ and
currently in D, inherently results in sub-optimal code, because it
always results in unnecessary temporary objects being created.

For example,
X = A - ((B*C) + D)* E;

becomes:
T1 = B * C;
T2 = T1 + D;
T3 = T2 * E;
T4 = A - T3;
X = T4;
Four objects were created, whereas only one was strictly required.
In C++, there are libraries like Blitz++ which use complicated
expression templates in order to avoid these creating these temporaries,
and provide performance comparable with FORTRAN. I think D can do much
better...
Note that temporaries are avoided when using the opXXXAssign() operators
like +=.

===========
   Proposal
===========
(1) Allow the compiler to assume that b = b + c  can be replaced with b
+= c. (In C++, operator + and operator += are just symbols, the compiler
doesn't know that there is any relationship between them).
In the example above, this would allow the compiler to generate:
T1 = B * C;
T1 += D;
T1 *= E;

and we have eliminated two of the three temporaries.
(2). Fill in the gaps in the operator overloading table by introducing
opAddAssign_r, opSubAssign_r, etc.

Just as A.opSubAssign(B)
is the operation  A -= B  or equivalently  A = A - B, similarly

A.opSubAssign_r(B)
would mean
A = B - A.
and would only occur when temporaries are generated in expressions. Like
-=, it's an operation which can frequently be performed very
efficiently, but at present the language has no way of expressing it.

Our original example then becomes:

T1 = B.opMul(C);
T1.opAddAssign(D);
T1.opMulAssign(E);
T1.opSubAssign_r(A);
X = T1;
... and all the useless temporaries are gone!

More formally, when the expression tree for an expression is generated:
With a binary operator XXX, operating on left & right nodes:

if (the left node is *not* an original leaf node) {
    // the left node is a temporary, does not need to be preserved.
    // we don't care if the right node is a temporary or not
    look for opXXXAssign().
} else if (the the right node is not an original leaf node) {
    // the right node is a temporary
    look for opXXXAssign_r()
} else {
   // both left and right nodes are leaf nodes, we have to
   // create a temporary
    look for opXXX(), just as it does now.
}

These rules also cope with the situation where temporaries are required:
eg
X = (A*B) + (C*D);
becomes
T1 = A*B;
T2 = C*D;
T1 += T2;
X = T1;

If this were implemented, it would permanently eradicate (for D) the
most significant advantage which Fortran has managed to retain over
object-oriented languages. And I really don't think it would be
difficult to implement, or have negative side-effects.

There are a couple of decisions to be made:
(I) should the compiler use opAdd() and generate a temporary, if
opAddAssign_r() doesn't exist, to preserve existing behaviour? I think
the answer to this is YES.
(II) should the compiler use opAdd() and generate a temporary, if
oppAddAssign() doesn't exist, to preserve existing behaviour? Again, I'm
inclined to answer YES.
(III) If the code includes +=, and there is an opAdd() but no
opAddAssign(), should the compiler accept this, and just generate an
opAdd() followed by an assignment?? This would mean that opAdd() would
generate the += operation as well as +, while opAddAssign() would be a
performance enhancement. (It would still be possible to have
opAddAssign() without opAdd(), to have += but not +, but it would not be
possible to have + without +=). This would mean that += would be
*purely* syntactic sugar.

Decision III would be a little more difficult to implement and is of
less obvious merit, I only mention it as a possibility.

Comments?
Mar 27 2006
next sibling parent "Jarrett Billingsley" <kb3ctd2 yahoo.com> writes:
"Don Clugston" <dac nospam.com.au> wrote in message
news:e087or$dgm$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Comments?
I really, really like this idea. Granted, I don't do too much with operator overloading, but this seems like a very solid improvement to it.
Mar 27 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent "Craig Black" <cblack ara.com> writes:
Beautiful! An elegant solution to a long standing and annoying problem.

-Craig
Mar 27 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent Dave <Dave_member pathlink.com> writes:
Hear, hear! And my opinions are (I) yes, (II) yes and (III) no. And I'd like to
suggest that this optimization would be applied to built-in's like strX = strX ~
strY; => strX ~= strY;

The problem this addresses has driven me nuts in the C++ world as I've
maintained/optimized code. (i.e.: operator += is defined but not used where it
could be).

- Dave

In article <e087or$dgm$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Don Clugston says...
[...]

prev sibling next sibling parent reply Charles <noone nowhere.com> writes:
Wow looks good ... too good.  How could this have gone
un[noticed|implemented] in the  last 20 years ?  I'm anxious to here
Walters take.

1. yes, 2. yes, 3. over my head :).

Charlie

parent reply Sean Kelly <sean f4.ca> writes:
Charles wrote:
 Wow looks good ... too good.  How could this have gone
 un[noticed|implemented] in the  last 20 years ?  I'm anxious to here
 Walters take.
I have a feeling this may be a lot more difficult in C++ because of ADL--there are simply a lot more functions to be evaluated when building expression trees. Also, the standard doesn't seem to consider things from a compiler writer's perspective, which this three-value code optimization requires. Sean
Mar 27 2006
parent reply kris <foo bar.com> writes:
Sean Kelly wrote:
 Charles wrote:

 Wow looks good ... too good.  How could this have gone
 un[noticed|implemented] in the  last 20 years ?  I'm anxious to here
 Walters take.
I have a feeling this may be a lot more difficult in C++ because of ADL--there are simply a lot more functions to be evaluated when building expression trees. Also, the standard doesn't seem to consider things from a compiler writer's perspective, which this three-value code optimization requires. Sean
ADL? Does that stand for Attention Deficit Level?
Mar 27 2006
next sibling parent pragma <pragma_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <e09v1r$2tb0$1 digitaldaemon.com>, kris says...
Sean Kelly wrote:
 Charles wrote:

 Wow looks good ... too good.  How could this have gone
 un[noticed|implemented] in the  last 20 years ?  I'm anxious to here
 Walters take.
I have a feeling this may be a lot more difficult in C++ because of ADL--there are simply a lot more functions to be evaluated when building expression trees. Also, the standard doesn't seem to consider things from a compiler writer's perspective, which this three-value code optimization requires. Sean
ADL? Does that stand for Attention Deficit Level?
Sorry, I missed this entire thread. What's this about now? <g> - EricAnderton at yahoo
Mar 27 2006
prev sibling parent reply Sean Kelly <sean f4.ca> writes:
kris wrote:
 Sean Kelly wrote:
 Charles wrote:

 Wow looks good ... too good.  How could this have gone
 un[noticed|implemented] in the  last 20 years ?  I'm anxious to here
 Walters take.
I have a feeling this may be a lot more difficult in C++ because of ADL--there are simply a lot more functions to be evaluated when building expression trees. Also, the standard doesn't seem to consider things from a compiler writer's perspective, which this three-value code optimization requires.
ADL? Does that stand for Attention Deficit Level?
Argument Dependent Lookup. ie. the complex overload resolution semantics in C++. Another potential issue is the lack of "_r" functions in C++, since while free functions can do quite a bit they must either use temporaries, be friend functions with very odd semantics, or do something akin to expression templates. Sean
Mar 27 2006
Ahh , I see. Well I think this will be huge for D, great idea Don! Sean Kelly wrote:
 kris wrote:

 Sean Kelly wrote:

 Charles wrote:

 Wow looks good ... too good.  How could this have gone
 un[noticed|implemented] in the  last 20 years ?  I'm anxious to here
 Walters take.
I have a feeling this may be a lot more difficult in C++ because of ADL--there are simply a lot more functions to be evaluated when building expression trees. Also, the standard doesn't seem to consider things from a compiler writer's perspective, which this three-value code optimization requires.
ADL? Does that stand for Attention Deficit Level?
Argument Dependent Lookup. ie. the complex overload resolution semantics in C++. Another potential issue is the lack of "_r" functions in C++, since while free functions can do quite a bit they must either use temporaries, be friend functions with very odd semantics, or do something akin to expression templates. Sean
Mar 27 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent "Walter Bright" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
I think it's a great idea.
Mar 27 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent "Regan Heath" <regan netwin.co.nz> writes:
I was wondering the exact same thing recently: http://www.digitalmars.com/drn-bin/wwwnews?digitalmars.D/35382 Do you think we gain anything by using the lhs variable where possible. i.e. Instead of: T1 = B.opMul(C); T1.opAddAssign(D); T1.opMulAssign(E); T1.opSubAssign_r(A); X = T1; We have: X = B; X.opMulAssign(C); X.opAddAssign(D); X.opMulAssign(E); X.opSubAssign_r(A); It seems to me that this results in 1 less temporary and therefore 1 less assignment. Of course, it doesn't help/work in cases where there is no existing lhs, i.e. foo(A - ((B*C) + D)* E); Regan
Mar 27 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent Sean Kelly <sean f4.ca> writes:
Don Clugston wrote:
 Background: Operator overloading, in the form it exists in C++ and
 currently in D, inherently results in sub-optimal code, because it
 always results in unnecessary temporary objects being created.
 If this were implemented, it would permanently eradicate (for D) the
 most significant advantage which Fortran has managed to retain over
 object-oriented languages. And I really don't think it would be
 difficult to implement, or have negative side-effects.
Very nice. And much better than expression templates. I'm all for it.
[...]

I'd say no to this initially, and see how things sort out. It may be that this turns out to be desirable and it may not. But theoretically, I'd prefer to know when an OpAssign fn is required that I haven't provided than to have the compiler silently accept the syntax anyway. Sean
Mar 27 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent reply James Dunne <james.jdunne gmail.com> writes:
Don Clugston wrote:
[...]

I guess I'll be the "Negative Nancy" here for purposes of strengthening your proposal... While being well laid out and well thought through, this proposal still screams to me that it's concentrating on the mathematical problem domain. This is fine for assuming that classes implementing operators will be mimicing real-world mathematical entities, such as vectors, matricies, etc. But will this affect other problem domains adversely? I usually like to come from the "everything explicit" angle and don't want the compiler making decisions on my behalf; especially when I'm not aware of them. My suggestion would be to add a keyword in the operator definition (or class definition) to indicate that you want this sort of operator overloading behavior, such that one could leave it off if the default behavior is desired for other such cases. In what specific problem domain are you experiencing issues with the current operator overloading syntax/semantics? Or is it just that you feel that the current syntax/semantics are not quite fully developed? And last but not least, another problem is in the order of evaluation for the operator overload calls. What do you propose for this? I think in order for this _not_ to matter, you'd have to guarantee that the classes themselves are self-contained and would have no references to (or have any effect on) the other classes involved in the expression statement. This brings me to another related issue: these temporaries are going to be allocated on the GC heap no matter what, correct? What if a silent out-of-memory exception was thrown from a line of code appearing to have no effect on memory allocation whatsoever? There's basically no control over the number of temporaries that could be generated. Also, there'd be "no going back" from a GC to a manual allocation strategy (i.e. memory pools) because you've effectively lost handles to those blocks of memory for the temporaries. One could use custom allocators on the class for this purpose, but that would have an adverse effect on normal usage of the class. These findings lead me to believe that classes which overload operators should have the requirement of being 'auto' (as in RAII or RR). -- Regards, James Dunne
Mar 27 2006
parent reply Don Clugston <dac nospam.com.au> writes:
James Dunne wrote:

 While being well laid out and well thought through, this proposal still
 screams to me that it's concentrating on the mathematical problem
 domain.  This is fine for assuming that classes implementing operators
 will be mimicing real-world mathematical entities, such as vectors,
 matricies, etc.  But will this affect other problem domains adversely?
I don't know - but I don't think so. My feeling is that if it strays too far from a mathematical domain, it probably shouldn't be using overloading of the arithmetical operators. In particular, I think that it's very hard to justify a+=b being different to a=a+b.
 I usually like to come from the "everything explicit" angle and don't
 want the compiler making decisions on my behalf; especially when I'm not
 aware of them.
I'll take this as another vote against (III). My suggestion would be to add a keyword in the operator
 definition (or class definition) to indicate that you want this sort of
 operator overloading behavior, such that one could leave it off if the
 default behavior is desired for other such cases.
 In what specific problem domain are you experiencing issues with the
 current operator overloading syntax/semantics?  Or is it just that you
 feel that the current syntax/semantics are not quite fully developed?
I was specifically interested in linear algebra. In thinking about Norbet's matrix proposal, I was thinking that it doesn't make sense to work on the syntax when there's an inherent inefficiency underneath. Ultimately, operator overloading is just syntactic sugar for function calls. The problem with the C++ approach is that it only provides function calls for two of the three situations. Consequently, you suffer an unnecessary performance hit every time you use operator +.
 And last but not least, another problem is in the order of evaluation
 for the operator overload calls.  What do you propose for this?  I think
 in order for this _not_ to matter, you'd have to guarantee that the
 classes themselves are self-contained and would have no references to
 (or have any effect on) the other classes involved in the expression
 statement.
True, but I think this already applies to operator +.
 This brings me to another related issue: these temporaries are going to
 be allocated on the GC heap no matter what, correct?  What if a silent
 out-of-memory exception was thrown from a line of code appearing to have
 no effect on memory allocation whatsoever?
Again, this already applies to opAdd. The only thing this proposal changes is that avoidable temporaries are not created. Unavoidable temporaries are unchanged. You raise a good point, though -- unavoidable temporaries could be treated better (eg with memory pools), this proposal does not let you distinguish between "new temporary = a+b " and "new result = a+b", the former could be stored in a memory pool. I think that's a minor issue, though.
Don Clugston wrote:
 You raise a good point, though -- unavoidable temporaries could be
 treated better (eg with memory pools), this proposal does not let you
 distinguish between "new temporary = a+b " and "new result = a+b", the
 former could be stored in a memory pool. I think that's a minor issue,
 though.
I think that's something that could be added as a Quality of Implementation issue without violating the rules you've outlined. ie. it doesn't matter where the memory comes from. Temporaries could even be allocated using alloca in some cases. As for other issues with the behavior--so long as this is spelled out in the spec then I don't see any problems with it. As you've said, it's what's actually happening behind the scenes anyway, but defining it this way makes for the most efficient code generation possible, and this is a fantastic guarantee to have in the case of large objects. Sean
Mar 28 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Norbert Nemec <Norbert Nemec-online.de> writes:
I don't see any obvious reasons against this proposal, but one should
not overestimate it!

It is true that it allows a number of optimizations and helps avoiding
some unnecessary temporaries, but it is not a replacement for expression
templates or vectorized expressions (aka array expressions).

Imagine A,B,C,D and X being arrays of the same size and consider the
last example in the proposal:

 X = (A*B) + (C*D);
 becomes
 T1 = A*B;
 T2 = C*D;
 T1 += T2;
 X = T1;
Fortran90 could translate the original expression into something like for(int i=0;i<N;i++) X[i] = (A[i]*B[i]) + (C[i]*D[i]); which not only eliminates *all* temporaries, but does something more: handle all calculations in one loop, allowing the memory to be read cache friendly and all the calculations being done in registers. C++ expression templates as used in blitz++ et al allow the same kind of optimizations. Array expressions in D could do the same thing. The operator optimization cannot handle this optimization. So, as it stands I have no objections against the proposal, but it should *NOT* be used as excuse against expression templates or array expressions in the long term. Greetings, Norbert
Mar 28 2006
Norbert Nemec wrote:
[...]

Obviously not with real matrices (C*D is not a pointwise operation), but point taken. (BTW, the temporaries are still there, they're just in registers this time (A[i]*B[i], C[i]*D[i]). The proposal does get rid of all unnecessary temporaries, the problem is that there's no vectorisation).
 C++ expression templates as used in blitz++ et al allow the same kind of
 optimizations. Array expressions in D could do the same thing. The
 operator optimization cannot handle this optimization.

 So, as it stands I have no objections against the proposal, but it
 should *NOT* be used as excuse against expression templates or array
 expressions in the long term.
I completely agree. I see this as fixing the general case, but it does nothing for vectorisation. I suspect that array expressions are somewhat special as regards expressions, because of the vectorisation possibility. If we had array expressions, this might eliminate the necessity for expression templates. Do you think that's right? Thanks for putting this into perspective.
 Greetings,
 Norbert
Mar 28 2006
Don Clugston wrote:
 Obviously not with real matrices (C*D is not a pointwise operation), but
  point taken. (BTW, the temporaries are still there, they're just in
 registers this time (A[i]*B[i], C[i]*D[i]). The proposal does get rid of
 all unnecessary temporaries, the problem is that there's no vectorisation).
Point accepted. For matrices, the issues are much more complicated, but still there is quite a bit of optimization possible when vectorization is taken into accound. p.e. the expression A*B+C can be done very efficiently when done in one shot. (There even are BLAS routines for this kind of combined operations, which are very common in many fields of application.)
 I completely agree. I see this as fixing the general case, but it does
 nothing for vectorisation. I suspect that array expressions are somewhat
 special as regards expressions, because of the vectorisation
 possibility. If we had array expressions, this might eliminate the
 necessity for expression templates. Do you think that's right?
Those have their right of existance and should be supported by the language: array expressions are more comfortable to use and to optimize than a corresponding ET-library, but expression templates can be used for a much larger field of applications than just vectorized expressions. Just consider the linear algebra example above, where an expression template library might automatically optimize A*B+C into a single BLAS function call.
Mar 28 2006
Norbert Nemec wrote:
 Don Clugston wrote:

[...]
parent reply xs0 <xs0 xs0.com> writes:
James Dunne wrote:
 If possible, can someone lay out a clear definition of both "array
 expressions" and "expression templates"?  I'd really like to fully
 understand what's possible in this area for my own research.

 Thanks,

afaik, array expressions are just expressions which get evaluated element-wise over whole arrays: a[] = b[] + c[]; // must be same length is the same as for (int i=0; i<a.length; i++) a[i] = b[i] + c[i]; The advantage of having them instead of doing for loops (in addition to aesthetics) is that the compiler can optimize the code much better (for example, by doing vectorization == AltiVec/MMX/SSE), because it clearly knows what you're doing - with a for loop, it's just a bunch of single-element operations. Expression templates, otoh, are a somewhat complex template technique, which allows efficient evaluation of expressions over arbitrary types. Instead of evaluating the expression one operation at a time: a = b + c * d usually becomes _t1 = c.opMul(d); _t2 = b.opAdd(_t1); a = _t2 the expressions first evaluate to template instances, which can then be inlined and optimized by the compiler. That obviously results in faster execution. The above example would become something like: auto expr=Sum!(b, Product!(c, d)); a.length=expr.length; for (int i=0; i<a.length; i++) a[i]=expr.evaluate(i); // hopefully inlines to b[i]+c[i]*d[i] http://osl.iu.edu/~tveldhui/papers/Expression-Templates/exprtmpl.html One problem in doing them in D is that you can't overload the = operator, so the best one can hope for is (b+c*d).assignTo(a); // or a = (b+c*d).eval(); Another problem is that expression templates rely heavily on implicit instantiation, which is currently quite basic in D (but getting better). Hope that helped :) xs0
Mar 28 2006
parent James Dunne <james.jdunne gmail.com> writes:

Norbert Nemec wrote:
 Don Clugston wrote:
 Obviously not with real matrices (C*D is not a pointwise operation), but
  point taken. (BTW, the temporaries are still there, they're just in
 registers this time (A[i]*B[i], C[i]*D[i]). The proposal does get rid of
 all unnecessary temporaries, the problem is that there's no vectorisation).
Point accepted. For matrices, the issues are much more complicated, but still there is quite a bit of optimization possible when vectorization is taken into accound. p.e. the expression A*B+C can be done very efficiently when done in one shot. (There even are BLAS routines for this kind of combined operations, which are very common in many fields of application.)
It almost seems like this could be handled via a special opIndex function: opIndexCalc or some such. If the method exists for all involved types, then: A = B + C could be translated to: for( size_t i = 0; i < A.length; ++i ) A[i] = B[i] + C[i]; where the subscripting calls opIndexCalc instead of the standard opIndex. But this leaves out array length checking, and simply throwing an IndexOutOfBounds exception if something goes wrong would leave A corrupted. So perhaps some checking would also be required to see if opIndexCalc should be called? The only catch is that this would likely need to occur at run-time: if( A.matches( B ) && A.matches( C ) ) for( size_t i = 0; i < A.length; ++i ) A[i] = B[i] + C[i]; else A = B + C; // standard method using temporaries I don't have enough experience to know what might work here, but it would be great if an alternative to expression templates could be devised. Sean
Mar 28 2006
parent Norbert Nemec <Norbert Nemec-online.de> writes:
Sean Kelly wrote:
 I don't have enough experience to know what might work here, but it
 would be great if an alternative to expression templates could be devised.
I believe people should not be overly afraid of expression templates. In C++ they are ugly because the whole template system is ugly. In principle they are a tremendously powerful concept that should definitely be supported in D as well as possible. When I say that there should be support for array expressions that does not rely on expression templates, that is only because I believe that arrays are crucial enough for the language to justify this special treatment.
Mar 28 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent Oskar Linde <oskar.lindeREM OVEgmail.com> writes:
I fully support this proposal. It makes sense to place stricter semantic
requirements on overloaded operators. I can not see any problems. You
seem to have everything covered. What restrictions should the compiler
placed on the operator overloading signatures? Should it for instance be
illegal to define an opAdd with a different return type than opAddAssign?

Don Clugston wrote:

 In C++, there are libraries like Blitz++ which use complicated
 expression templates in order to avoid these creating these temporaries,
 and provide performance comparable with FORTRAN. I think D can do much
 better...
Expression templates would still be useful for other cases though. Consider: (A * B) % C. Here, expression templates could allow evaluating a much more efficient modMul(A,B,C). Expression templates could also help writing less complex but still efficient code by allowing lazy evaluation. /Oskar
Mar 28 2006
prev sibling parent reply Bruno Medeiros <daiphoenixNO SPAMlycos.com> writes:
Don Clugston wrote:
 Background: Operator overloading, in the form it exists in C++ and
 currently in D, inherently results in sub-optimal code, because it
 always results in unnecessary temporary objects being created.

 For example,
 X = A - ((B*C) + D)* E;

 becomes:
 T1 = B * C;
 T2 = T1 + D;
 T3 = T2 * E;
 T4 = A - T3;
 X = T4;
 Four objects were created, whereas only one was strictly required.
Ok, I'm new to this, so it took me a while to understand the problem. Let's see if I got it right: this is actually only a problem when the operator methods explicitly instantiate a *class object*, to be used as the return of the method, right? -- Bruno Medeiros - CS/E student http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?BrunoMedeiros#D
Apr 02 2006
Bruno Medeiros wrote:
 Don Clugston wrote:
 Background: Operator overloading, in the form it exists in C++ and
 currently in D, inherently results in sub-optimal code, because it
 always results in unnecessary temporary objects being created.

 For example,
 X = A - ((B*C) + D)* E;

 becomes:
 T1 = B * C;
 T2 = T1 + D;
 T3 = T2 * E;
 T4 = A - T3;
 X = T4;
 Four objects were created, whereas only one was strictly required.
Ok, I'm new to this, so it took me a while to understand the problem. Let's see if I got it right: this is actually only a problem when the operator methods explicitly instantiate a *class object*, to be used as the return of the method, right?
Not really, it applies everywhere that you can have overloaded operators. The cost of a temporary will be greater with classes, but for structs, eliminating temporaries will make it much easier for the compiler to optimise.
Apr 03 2006
parent reply Bruno Medeiros <brunodomedeirosATgmail SPAM.com> writes:
Don Clugston wrote:
 Bruno Medeiros wrote:
 Don Clugston wrote:
[...]

But with structs (more generally, with stack-based value types), can't the compiler already optimize it? In your example, it seems to me that the compiler make the code so that it uses only two temporaries: T1 = B * C; T2 = T1 + D; // T1 is now free for use T1 = T2 * E; // T2 is now free for use T2 = A - T1; // T1 is now free for use X = T2; And, if inlining occurs, it can be made to use only one temporary, no? -- Bruno Medeiros - CS/E student http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?BrunoMedeiros#D
Apr 04 2006
parent Don Clugston <dac nospam.com.au> writes:
Bruno Medeiros wrote:
 Don Clugston wrote:
 Bruno Medeiros wrote:
 Don Clugston wrote:
[...]

True, but for objects on the stack, the cost is really just in the copying of data, not the memory allocation. T1 and T2 still get initialised twice.
 And, if inlining occurs, it can be made to use only one temporary, no?
Indeed, the compiler might optimise it, if the structs are small enough. Which is why I said that it makes it "much easier for the compiler to optimise". It might be able to do it without this help, but my experience with C++ has been that inlining is unreliable.
Apr 05 2006