digitalmars.D - D - more or less power than C++?

reply "Walter Bright" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
I started a new thread for this:

"Mike Capp" <mike.capp gmail.com> wrote in message
news:dua67i$12cr$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 7. D has all (well, most of) the power of C++
I see this often and am a bit perplexed by it. What power do you feel is missing? And what about the missing power in C++ - inline assembler, nested functions, contract programming, unit testing, automatic documentation generation, static if, delegates, dynamic closures, inner classes, modules, garbage collection, scope guard? What does D have to do to have more power than C++?
Mar 03 2006
next sibling parent reply Ivan Senji <ivan.senji_REMOVE_ _THIS__gmail.com> writes:
Walter Bright wrote:
 I started a new thread for this:

 "Mike Capp" <mike.capp gmail.com> wrote in message
 news:dua67i$12cr$1 digitaldaemon.com...

7. D has all (well, most of) the power of C++
I see this often and am a bit perplexed by it. What power do you feel is missing?
Something with templates :) You know the thing that starts with implicit ... Another power that is missing is the power of standard library.

 And what about the missing power in C++ - inline assembler, nested
 functions, contract programming, unit testing, automatic documentation
 generation, static if, delegates, dynamic closures, inner classes, modules,
 garbage collection, scope guard?
I agree, all these things are missing from C++.

 What does D have to do to have more power than C++?

Fix isues, better std library, added std template library.
Mar 03 2006
next sibling parent reply Kyle Furlong <kylefurlong gmail.com> writes:
Ivan Senji wrote:
 Walter Bright wrote:
 I started a new thread for this:

 "Mike Capp" <mike.capp gmail.com> wrote in message
 news:dua67i$12cr$1 digitaldaemon.com...

 7. D has all (well, most of) the power of C++
I see this often and am a bit perplexed by it. What power do you feel is missing?
Something with templates :) You know the thing that starts with implicit ... Another power that is missing is the power of standard library.
 And what about the missing power in C++ - inline assembler, nested
 functions, contract programming, unit testing, automatic documentation
 generation, static if, delegates, dynamic closures, inner classes,
 modules, garbage collection, scope guard?
I agree, all these things are missing from C++.
 What does D have to do to have more power than C++?
Fix isues, better std library, added std template library.
Walter, how technologically complex is implicit template instantiation? I think the consensus here is that that is the next feature that everyone wants. I guess my question is, why did you go through the regex debacle, instead of working on ITI.
Mar 03 2006
parent reply Bruno Medeiros <daiphoenixNO SPAMlycos.com> writes:
Kyle Furlong wrote:

 Walter, how technologically complex is implicit template instantiation?
 I think the consensus
  here is that that is the next feature that everyone wants. I guess my
 question is, why did you go through the regex debacle, instead of
 working on ITI.
I doubt it's the next feature /everyone/ wants, and I pretty sure it's not the next *task done* that everyone wants. -- Bruno Medeiros - CS/E student http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?BrunoMedeiros#D
Mar 04 2006
parent reply Oskar Linde <olREM OVEnada.kth.se> writes:
Bruno Medeiros wrote:

 Kyle Furlong wrote:

 Walter, how technologically complex is implicit template instantiation?
 I think the consensus
  here is that that is the next feature that everyone wants. I guess my
 question is, why did you go through the regex debacle, instead of
 working on ITI.
I doubt it's the next feature /everyone/ wants, and I pretty sure it's not the next *task done* that everyone wants.
ITI is important because its absence blocks library development. /Oskar
Mar 04 2006
parent Hasan Aljudy <hasan.aljudy gmail.com> writes:
Oskar Linde wrote:
 Bruno Medeiros wrote:

Kyle Furlong wrote:

Walter, how technologically complex is implicit template instantiation?
I think the consensus
 here is that that is the next feature that everyone wants. I guess my
question is, why did you go through the regex debacle, instead of
working on ITI.
I doubt it's the next feature /everyone/ wants, and I pretty sure it's not the next *task done* that everyone wants.
ITI is important because its absence blocks library development. /Oskar
libraries don't neet ITI, java has a great library and for long time it didn't have anything remotely resembling templates (it does now, but that's besides the point).
Mar 04 2006
prev sibling parent Sean Kelly <sean f4.ca> writes:
Ivan Senji wrote:
 Walter Bright wrote:
 I started a new thread for this:

 "Mike Capp" <mike.capp gmail.com> wrote in message
 news:dua67i$12cr$1 digitaldaemon.com...

 7. D has all (well, most of) the power of C++
I see this often and am a bit perplexed by it. What power do you feel is missing?
Something with templates :) You know the thing that starts with implicit ...
Oh, forgot about that one :-) But as that seems to be a feature due by 1.0 I won't count it.
 Another power that is missing is the power of standard library.
That's not a language issue though. To me, when comparing the relative 'power' of languages I'd rather just focus on what's possible in the language rather than what's been done. Sean
Mar 03 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Sean Kelly <sean f4.ca> writes:
Walter Bright wrote:
 I started a new thread for this:

 "Mike Capp" <mike.capp gmail.com> wrote in message
 news:dua67i$12cr$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 7. D has all (well, most of) the power of C++
I see this often and am a bit perplexed by it. What power do you feel is missing? And what about the missing power in C++ - inline assembler, nested functions, contract programming, unit testing, automatic documentation generation, static if, delegates, dynamic closures, inner classes, modules, garbage collection, scope guard?
C++ has marginal inline asm support, even though no one supports the official syntax :-) Much of the rest I'd consider unimportant as it doesn't impact what's possible in D so much as how easy it is to accomplish a task or how easy it is to verify that the solution is correct. Some language advantages I think D has over C++ are: - delegates - dynamic closures - scope guard - volatile (and therefore some support for concurrency) - synchronized (syntactic sugar but for its implications on language support for concurrency, much like volatile) - inner classes (don't use them, but they are something C++ doesn't do) - modules - garbage collection (arguably an advantage as this can be accomplished in C++ by overriding global operators new/delete)
 What does D have to do to have more power than C++?
Better RTTI might be nice perhaps. But frankly, I think the power is already there. What D needs to do now is prove itself. Sean
Mar 03 2006
next sibling parent Sean Kelly <sean f4.ca> writes:
Sean Kelly wrote:
 What does D have to do to have more power than C++?
Better RTTI might be nice perhaps.
Dynamic module/class loading would be nice as well. This is one of the few features of Java that I wish was present in other languages. DDL is getting there, but that's not quite the same as 'official' support. Sean
Mar 03 2006
prev sibling parent "Walter Bright" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
"Sean Kelly" <sean f4.ca> wrote in message
news:duad1t$1ehi$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 C++ has marginal inline asm support, even though no one supports the
 official syntax :-)
C++ has no inline asm, and there is no official syntax. There's only an "asm" keyword. That's it. You can have an official, standards compliant C++ compiler which launches all out nuclear assault upon seeing the asm keyword. Many, but by no means all, C++ compilers implement an inline asm as an extension.
 What does D have to do to have more power than C++?
Better RTTI might be nice perhaps.
D already has better RTTI than C++.
Mar 03 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Thomas Kuehne <thomas-dloop kuehne.cn> writes:
Mar 03 2006
parent reply "Walter Bright" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
"Thomas Kuehne" <thomas-dloop kuehne.cn> wrote in message
news:atumd3-ig8.ln1 birke.kuehne.cn...
 What does D have to do to have more power than C++?
0) Stockpiles of projects / code - just like C++.
It can certainly use that, but that isn't a power language feature.
 1) standard
 A standard instead of a "blah, blah, blah" documentation.
 (-> http://www.digitalmars.com/d/float.html)
 Enumerating statements in the documentation might be a start.
I agree that the D documentation is deficient. But that's not a power feature, either.
 2) lib
 A decent standard lib. Decent isn't necessarily large, but useful,
 structured, documented and working.
D has many standard library capabilities that C++ doesn't have - like regex, for one. Better formatted I/O, for another. The only thing C++ has is STL.
 std.string.tolower/toupper corrupts input:
 toupper(tolower("a\u1000B"))
Bugs are a problem.
 3) compiler
 C++ is available on how many architectures and OSs right now?
That's a great characteristic to have, but it isn't a power feature.
 4) IDE support / tool chain
 <no comment>
Ancilliary support tools are important, but they aren't a power language feature, either. None of them are mentioned in the C++ standard.
 Granted there are some rough corners in the D feature collection, but I
 don't think that they are THE problem.
I agree.
Mar 03 2006
parent reply Georg Wrede <georg.wrede nospam.org> writes:
Walter Bright wrote:
 "Thomas Kuehne" <thomas-dloop kuehne.cn> wrote

What does D have to do to have more power than C++?
3) compiler C++ is available on how many architectures and OSs right now?
That's a great characteristic to have, but it isn't a power feature.
Depends on who you ask. Define "power feature".
Mar 03 2006
parent reply "Walter Bright" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
"Georg Wrede" <georg.wrede nospam.org> wrote in message
news:4408E84D.3020801 nospam.org...
 Walter Bright wrote:
 "Thomas Kuehne" <thomas-dloop kuehne.cn> wrote

What does D have to do to have more power than C++?
3) compiler C++ is available on how many architectures and OSs right now?
That's a great characteristic to have, but it isn't a power feature.
Depends on who you ask. Define "power feature".
A feature that is part of the language. Not part of the library, the environment, a third party tool, or an extension.
Mar 03 2006
 Walter Bright wrote:

 What does D have to do to have more power than C++?
C++ is available on how many architectures and OSs right now?
That's a great characteristic to have, but it isn't a power feature.
Depends on who you ask. Define "power feature".
A feature that is part of the language. Not part of the library, the environment, a third party tool, or an extension.
Defined like that, it's easy: ITI. Apart from that, IMHO, D is pretty good right now.
Mar 04 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent reply AgentOrange <AgentOrange_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <duab09$1arn$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Walter Bright says...
I started a new thread for this:

"Mike Capp" <mike.capp gmail.com> wrote in message
news:dua67i$12cr$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 7. D has all (well, most of) the power of C++
I see this often and am a bit perplexed by it. What power do you feel is missing? And what about the missing power in C++ - inline assembler, nested functions, contract programming, unit testing, automatic documentation generation, static if, delegates, dynamic closures, inner classes, modules, garbage collection, scope guard? What does D have to do to have more power than C++?
compile time reflection/metaprotocol suport for the win.
Mar 03 2006
parent Kyle Furlong <kylefurlong gmail.com> writes:
AgentOrange wrote:
 In article <duab09$1arn$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Walter Bright says...
 I started a new thread for this:

 "Mike Capp" <mike.capp gmail.com> wrote in message
 news:dua67i$12cr$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 7. D has all (well, most of) the power of C++
I see this often and am a bit perplexed by it. What power do you feel is missing? And what about the missing power in C++ - inline assembler, nested functions, contract programming, unit testing, automatic documentation generation, static if, delegates, dynamic closures, inner classes, modules, garbage collection, scope guard? What does D have to do to have more power than C++?
compile time reflection/metaprotocol suport for the win.
Agent, are you a WoW'er?
Mar 03 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Mike Capp <mike.capp gmail.com> writes:
In article <duab09$1arn$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Walter Bright says...
I started a new thread for this:

"Mike Capp" <mike.capp gmail.com> wrote in message
news:dua67i$12cr$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 7. D has all (well, most of) the power of C++
I see this often and am a bit perplexed by it. What power do you feel is missing?
Clean, composable, deterministic resource management. I know C++ is a horrific Frankenstein's monster of a language, but it allows you to encapsulate resource management better than anything I've ever seen. I find this frustrating, because it's not as if D is far off. It might be that auto class members are all that's needed. But I've ranted this rant many times before on this NG, and nobody else seems particularly interested, so I won't repeat it here. Oddly, I don't really agree with most of the other replies. Standard library - meh. I'm not that impressed by the C++ standard library. It's terribly terribly clever, but not actually all that useful relative to the price you pay for using it. IDEs/toolchains - as I just said in another post, none of these offer much more than a decent text editor, and they're downright embarrassing compared to the water as a modular programming language. Personally I don't use any C++ libs that don't come wrapped in C APIs.
And what about the missing power in C++ - inline assembler, nested
functions, contract programming, unit testing, automatic documentation
generation, static if, delegates, dynamic closures, inner classes, modules,
garbage collection, scope guard?
Oh, I don't dispute any of that. Nested functions are great. The contract stuff is pretty good. The unit testing isn't quite the way I'd want it, but I've had a peek at the Phobos guts and it wouldn't take much to get there. Delegates and scopeguard are both very nice. Modules and static if, hallelujah. GC, fine as far as it goes. (The current GC is severely suboptimal, and making it better will break other stuff. And I still get very annoyed by the claim that GC is 'optional' in D.) I'm happy to grant that on balance, maturity issues aside, D is more powerful than C++. But that's not really the point. If you're trying to convince someone with a substantial investment in C++ to switch to D, one of the most important questions you want them to be asking is "What do I have to lose?". The conclusion you want them to come to is "Nothing". If instead the immediate and vehement answer is "Well, THIS!", you've suddenly lost a lot of momentum. That's all I was getting at. Drifting off-topic: in my not-very-original opinion, the killer app for the Next Big Systems Programming Language will be the ability to take advantage of multi-core hardware. (Almost certainly through some sort of functional approach with compiler-verifiable restrictions.) C++ at this point is constitutionally incapable of making that leap. It'll be interesting to see whether D can. cheers, Mike
Mar 03 2006
next sibling parent "Walter Bright" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
"Mike Capp" <mike.capp gmail.com> wrote in message
news:duaj45$1pni$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 But that's not really the point. If you're trying to convince someone with
 substantial investment in C++ to switch to D, one of the most important
 questions you want them to be asking is "What do I have to lose?". The
 conclusion you want them to come to is "Nothing". If instead the immediate
 and
 vehement answer is "Well, THIS!", you've suddenly lost a lot of momentum.
 That's
 all I was getting at.
Ok, I understand that point. From one perspective, D makes for a lousy C++ compiler. If you try to transliterate traditional style C++ code in D, it isn't going to work too well. For example, if you try to use smart pointers, D will stymie such efforts. The benefits of D don't become apparent until one is willing to write things in a D style.
Mar 03 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent clayasaurus <clayasaurus gmail.com> writes:
Mike Capp wrote:
 In article <duab09$1arn$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Walter Bright says...
 I started a new thread for this:

 "Mike Capp" <mike.capp gmail.com> wrote in message
 news:dua67i$12cr$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 7. D has all (well, most of) the power of C++
I see this often and am a bit perplexed by it. What power do you feel is missing?
<snip>

 Drifting off-topic: in my not-very-original opinion, the killer app for the
Next
 Big Systems Programming Language will be the ability to take advantage of
 multi-core hardware. (Almost certainly through some sort of functional approach
 with compiler-verifiable restrictions.) C++ at this point is constitutionally
 incapable of making that leap. It'll be interesting to see whether D can.

 cheers,
 Mike

Some links about multi-core systems. http://news.com.com/For+Intel,+the+future+has+two+cores/2100-1006_3-5349121.html http://domino.research.ibm.com/comm/research_projects.nsf/pages/cellcompiler.index.html http://www.research.ibm.com/journal/sj/451/eichenberger.html ~ Clay
Mar 03 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent Bruno Medeiros <daiphoenixNO SPAMlycos.com> writes:
Mike Capp wrote:

 Drifting off-topic: in my not-very-original opinion, the killer app for the
Next
 Big Systems Programming Language will be the ability to take advantage of
 multi-core hardware. (Almost certainly through some sort of functional approach
 with compiler-verifiable restrictions.) C++ at this point is constitutionally
 incapable of making that leap. It'll be interesting to see whether D can.

 cheers,
 Mike

Ye, I'm starting to think that too. I recall Sweeny's article about the Unreal engine and Haskell (still gotta check in more detail how that "pure function" feature works), as well as the recent talk about Cell and the Octopiler. This is definitely something D/Walter should keep an eye on, if not downright start thinking about it. -- Bruno Medeiros - CS/E student http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?BrunoMedeiros#D
Mar 04 2006
prev sibling parent reply Dave <Dave_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <duaj45$1pni$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Mike Capp says...
In article <duab09$1arn$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Walter Bright says...
I started a new thread for this:

"Mike Capp" <mike.capp gmail.com> wrote in message
news:dua67i$12cr$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 7. D has all (well, most of) the power of C++
I see this often and am a bit perplexed by it. What power do you feel is missing?
Clean, composable, deterministic resource management. I know C++ is a horrific Frankenstein's monster of a language, but it allows you to encapsulate resource management better than anything I've ever seen. I find this frustrating, because it's not as if D is far off. It might be that auto class members are all that's needed. But I've ranted this rant many times before on this NG, and nobody else seems particularly interested, so I won't repeat it here.
I'm not sure what you mean by 'auto class members', but if you meant 'classes instantiated on the stack for which the dtor is automatically called when they go out of scope', then I agree.
far as it goes. (The current GC is severely suboptimal, and making it better
will break other stuff. And I still get very annoyed by the claim that GC is
'optional' in D.)
I agree that the current GC has performance issues (compared to the mature GC's of most Java implementations and .NET), but I don't agree that it can't be improved w/o breaking things. For example, you can have non-moving generational GC's. Just making the change to some form of partial collection scheme would make D's GC competitive for most things, I think. And stack-allocated classes and struct ctors for D would take care of the rest.
But that's not really the point. If you're trying to convince someone with a
substantial investment in C++ to switch to D, one of the most important
questions you want them to be asking is "What do I have to lose?". The
conclusion you want them to come to is "Nothing". If instead the immediate and
vehement answer is "Well, THIS!", you've suddenly lost a lot of momentum. That's
all I was getting at.
They will always have years of (painful) C++ experience to lose ;) So IMHO D needs to be exceptional in all areas, most importantly great all-around performance (and this includes the v1.0 reference compiler). As others have stated (paraphrasing), "the primary reason C++ is still used for so many projects is because of it's exceptional OOP performance." I think D is about 95% to the tipping point though. - Dave
Mar 04 2006
parent "Jarrett Billingsley" <kb3ctd2 yahoo.com> writes:
"Dave" <Dave_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:duci1c$22ao$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 I'm not sure what you mean by 'auto class members', but if you meant
 'classes
 instantiated on the stack for which the dtor is automatically called when
 they
 go out of scope', then I agree.
I think he means "class reference members whose lifetime is determined by the lifetime of the object that refers to them. i.e. class A { auto B b; this() { b = new B(); } ~this() { writefln("A dtor"); } } class B { ~this() { writefln("B dtor"); } } void main() { { auto A a = new A() } writefln("Done"); } Would print A dtor B dtor Done (Or maybe the order of the dtors would be different, but the point is that the instance of B's lifetime is dependent upon the instance of A's.)
Mar 04 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "Andrew Fedoniouk" <news terrainformatica.com> writes:
 7. D has all (well, most of) the power of C++
I see this often and am a bit perplexed by it. What power do you feel is missing? And what about the missing power in C++ - inline assembler, nested functions, contract programming, unit testing, automatic documentation generation, static if, delegates, dynamic closures, inner classes, modules, garbage collection, scope guard? What does D have to do to have more power than C++?
1) C++ has ctors/dtors for stack allocated objects. This problem is known in D as luck of struct ctor/dtor. 2) C++/C both have const. These two are corner stones in C++ (among others). The whole std:: namespace without them is just impossible. I cannot imagine serious *library* design without 'const' for example. Library here means design of robust code used by millions. Phobos imho will never be considered as something rock-solid without 'const'. You can add as many features (really nice ones, btw) on top of C syntax but these two are so principal and widely used that without them C++ crowd will not even think about D. Tons of existing code around them. For me personally D is definitely more suitable than C++ for e.g. UI programming in many areas. But not in all. E.g. I have tried three or four different approaches to reproduce string value type in D. Just no way. Everything what I've seen so far is non-comparable with even std:string and I am yet silent about .NET and Java. Big picture: templates (at some extent) and definitely delegates are superior in D than in C++. Other features are more or less elegantly reproducible in C++. D used to have clean,consistent and simple syntax and execution model (e.g. GC "from the shelf") but holes 1) and 2) on the bottom of this ship are just shining. IMHO. Andrew. http://terrainformatica.com
Mar 03 2006
parent reply "Walter Bright" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
"Andrew Fedoniouk" <news terrainformatica.com> wrote in message
news:duajvt$1re3$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 What does D have to do to have more power than C++?
1) C++ has ctors/dtors for stack allocated objects. This problem is known in D as luck of struct ctor/dtor.
The following: auto Foo f = new Foo(); has ctor/dtor semantics. It isn't allocated on the stack at the moment, but there is no semantic reason why it couldn't be. Allocating it on the heap is an artifact of dmd, and not of the language.
 2) C++/C both have const.

 These two are corner stones in C++ (among others).
 The whole std:: namespace without them is just impossible.

 I cannot imagine serious *library* design without 'const' for example.
 Library here means design of robust code used by millions.
 Phobos imho will never be considered as something rock-solid without
 'const'.
I don't really understand this, as many languages have serious libraries
 E.g. I have tried three or four different approaches
 to reproduce string value type in D. Just no way.
 Everything what I've seen so far is non-comparable
 with even std:string and I am yet silent about .NET and Java.
I don't understand what you mean.
 Big picture: templates (at some extent) and
 definitely delegates are superior in D than in C++.
 Other features are more or less elegantly reproducible in C++.
Try doing nested functions elegantly in C++ <g>.
 D used to have clean,consistent and simple syntax and execution model
 (e.g. GC "from the shelf") but holes 1) and 2) on the bottom of this ship
 are just shining.
I'm not sure why (1) and (2) didn't exist in the way D used to be.
Mar 03 2006
next sibling parent reply "Andrew Fedoniouk" <news terrainformatica.com> writes:
"Walter Bright" <newshound digitalmars.com> wrote in message
news:duaqm9$25at$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 "Andrew Fedoniouk" <news terrainformatica.com> wrote in message
 news:duajvt$1re3$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 What does D have to do to have more power than C++?
1) C++ has ctors/dtors for stack allocated objects. This problem is known in D as luck of struct ctor/dtor.
The following: auto Foo f = new Foo(); has ctor/dtor semantics. It isn't allocated on the stack at the moment, but there is no semantic reason why it couldn't be. Allocating it on the heap is an artifact of dmd, and not of the language.
This is not only about stack allocation but also about the whole thing: "- Definable assignment/copy semantics for structs. " / Oskar Linde There is no way currently in D to implement "guarded variable": something s = ....; I cannot write code which will allow to catch assignment to the variable (concrete memory region if you wish). Just nothing for that in D at all - variables are naked.
 2) C++/C both have const.

 These two are corner stones in C++ (among others).
 The whole std:: namespace without them is just impossible.

 I cannot imagine serious *library* design without 'const' for example.
 Library here means design of robust code used by millions.
 Phobos imho will never be considered as something rock-solid without
 'const'.
I don't really understand this, as many languages have serious libraries
1) All these have builtin immutability. For example strings there are immutable objects. D has no strings so it must have some features in the language allowing to implement such objects as a library. 2) D has raw pointers - D is comparable with C/C++ but not with Java. D will not replace Java in most of cases. Completely different execution model. D in this respect is wery close to C/C++. So D competes with C/C++ D can win C++. At least as language for GUI. GUI is most OOP task known. If you can do something in C/C++ you must be able to do it in D. This is it. Postulate: D must include all features C++ has now.
 E.g. I have tried three or four different approaches
 to reproduce string value type in D. Just no way.
 Everything what I've seen so far is non-comparable
 with even std:string and I am yet silent about .NET and Java.
I don't understand what you mean.
Immutable yet effective strings and ranges.
 Big picture: templates (at some extent) and
 definitely delegates are superior in D than in C++.
 Other features are more or less elegantly reproducible in C++.
Try doing nested functions elegantly in C++ <g>.
Agree, they are useful. But if used with care. As soon as you can get address of such inner function then you are in trouble - result of later call of such function is non-deterministic. It is not like in JavaScript where function frames are valid if referenced somewhere. Following: var tt; function test() { var s0 = "Hello"; function testtest() { stdout << s0; } tt = testtest; } test(); tt(); stdout << " World!"; will print in JS (my TIScript here) :
Hello World!
D will GPF on something like this I guess.
 D used to have clean,consistent and simple syntax and execution model
 (e.g. GC "from the shelf") but holes 1) and 2) on the bottom of this ship
 are just shining.
I'm not sure why (1) and (2) didn't exist in the way D used to be.
Sorry, two different sentences here: 1) D used to have clean,consistent and simple syntax and execution model (e.g. GC "from the shelf") - not anymore, IMO. D inner classes for example - strange halfly implemented Java feature. Scope guards are generally good but without clear and strict definition of execution model - almost useless - syntactic noise. "auto zoo" there too. Over-qualified 'static' All that private/protected stuff is just not finished yet - I was fighting with it in Harmonia - never win. 2) holes 1) and 2) on the bottom of this ship are just shining. These are the only features of C++ which D cannot handle at all. OT: I was proposing readonly ranges and pointers as a simple alternative / palliative Andrew.
Mar 03 2006
next sibling parent reply "Walter Bright" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
"Andrew Fedoniouk" <news terrainformatica.com> wrote in message
news:dub0rk$2eje$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 There is no way currently in D to implement "guarded variable":

 something s = ....;

 I cannot write code which will allow to catch
 assignment to the variable (concrete memory region if you wish).
 Just nothing for that in D at all - variables are naked.
There are assign-at-compile-time and assign-once variables. What major niche does a guarded variable serve?
 I don't really understand this, as many languages have serious libraries

1) All these have builtin immutability. For example strings there are immutable objects. D has no strings so it must have some features in the language allowing to implement such objects as a library.
You can do so by only allowing private functions access to the underlying data. There is no notion of "const-correctness" or const as a type modifier in any of those languages.
 If you can do something in C/C++ you must
 be able to do it in D. This is it.

 Postulate: D must include all features C++ has now.
Are you suggesting D must have a preprocessor, too?
 Try doing nested functions elegantly in C++ <g>.
Agree, they are useful. But if used with care. As soon as you can get address of such inner function then you are in trouble - result of later call of such function is non-deterministic.
True, one can get into trouble doing that wrong, but it isn't conceptually any different from the following C++ code: int *p; void foo() { int i; p = &i; } void test() { ... = *p; } So I would not argue that it is a defect *in comparison to C++*.
 D inner classes for example - strange halfly implemented Java feature.
How so?
 Scope guards are generally good
 but without clear and strict definition of execution model - almost
 useless - syntactic noise.
I strongly disagree there. I thought I had answered your questions about that in the scope guard thread.
 "auto zoo" there too.  Over-qualified 'static' All that private/protected
 stuff
 is just not finished yet - I was fighting with it in Harmonia - never win.
The private/protected stuff works like it does in C++.
 OT: I was proposing readonly ranges and pointers as a simple alternative /
 palliative

layers of complexity there that are hidden, but are there.
Mar 03 2006
next sibling parent reply "Andrew Fedoniouk" <news terrainformatica.com> writes:
"Walter Bright" <newshound digitalmars.com> wrote in message
news:dub64a$2n07$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 "Andrew Fedoniouk" <news terrainformatica.com> wrote in message
 news:dub0rk$2eje$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 There is no way currently in D to implement "guarded variable":

 something s = ....;

 I cannot write code which will allow to catch
 assignment to the variable (concrete memory region if you wish).
 Just nothing for that in D at all - variables are naked.
There are assign-at-compile-time and assign-once variables. What major niche does a guarded variable serve?
I am not exactly sure what this means: assign-at-compile-time, assign-once. Could you provide some examples? I mean something like struct cow_string { ref_counted_buffer data; void opAssign(cow_string s) { release(data); data = s.data; addref(data); } } GC as a memory managment is only one from others possible management technics. refcounting has it own pluses (as minuses). To be able to combine both is just good thing - key to effective technically correct solutions. C++ gives ref counting and stack allocations (with ctors/dtors), D gives only GC and stack allocations are not currently implemented there. Ideal system should have all three. In this case requirement to effectiveness of GC could be lowered.
 I don't really understand this, as many languages have serious libraries

1) All these have builtin immutability. For example strings there are immutable objects. D has no strings so it must have some features in the language allowing to implement such objects as a library.
You can do so by only allowing private functions access to the underlying data. There is no notion of "const-correctness" or const as a type modifier in any of those languages.
True. This is why they are so uneffective. String s = somestring.substring(1,4); will allocate new String object. You can implement the same approach in D of course but you will give up ranges ( s[2..$] ) in almost all cases. To return substring from immutable string you will always allocate new object. So what is a big reason in D then?
 If you can do something in C/C++ you must
 be able to do it in D. This is it.

 Postulate: D must include all features C++ has now.
Are you suggesting D must have a preprocessor, too?
Don't understand this. Strictly speaking preprocessor is not a part of C++. This way D has also preprocessor - build.exe
 Try doing nested functions elegantly in C++ <g>.
Agree, they are useful. But if used with care. As soon as you can get address of such inner function then you are in trouble - result of later call of such function is non-deterministic.
True, one can get into trouble doing that wrong, but it isn't conceptually any different from the following C++ code: int *p; void foo() { int i; p = &i; } void test() { ... = *p; } So I would not argue that it is a defect *in comparison to C++*.
I am not speaking about defects or something like this here. I just want to mention that D is a low level language and cannot be compared with Java or the like. D - fast but flammable. Java - fireproof but slow. Completely different roles and use cases.
 D inner classes for example - strange halfly implemented Java feature.
How so?
This is again about problems And last time I've checked: I couldn't reference explicitly members of outer class like in java: Outer.this.member = ...; and there is no restriction on final's in outer function (Java is not allocating function frames, D does the same but not safe)
 Scope guards are generally good
 but without clear and strict definition of execution model - almost
 useless - syntactic noise.
I strongly disagree there. I thought I had answered your questions about that in the scope guard thread.
Key-point is "without clear and strict definition of execution model". 1) Again, what will happen if on_scope_success will throw? If it is not safe in principle and there is complex handling required then you will end up with following: on_scope_success try { ... } catch(object er) {...} 2) As I said before, implementation of on_scope_success seems like artificial to D. In syntax and in implementation. IMO, it makes real sense to provide facilities to do things like on_scope_*** by others. D as a language shall just provide generic mechanisms to do this: There are mixins already. So why not to extend them? mixin can mix code in at point of definition. Add another optional "parameter" to denote where to mix it and allow anonymous mixins. mixin atexit { .... } mixin atfailure { .... } But I would think more in this direction.
 "auto zoo" there too.  Over-qualified 'static' All that private/protected
 stuff
 is just not finished yet - I was fighting with it in Harmonia - never
 win.
The private/protected stuff works like it does in C++.
Negative. D has concept of packages and there are problems there. As far as I recall classes sitting in inner folders of some package have very strange rules of accessibility to package objects. Classes and their members in particular.
 OT: I was proposing readonly ranges and pointers as a simple alternative
 / palliative

layers of complexity there that are hidden, but are there.
Sorry not "fast as" but "faster than". Andrew.
Mar 03 2006
next sibling parent "Derek Parnell" <derek psych.ward> writes:
On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 18:33:29 +1100, Andrew Fedoniouk