digitalmars.D - floating point - nan initializers

reply Dave <Dave_member pathlink.com> writes:
Rational: nan will propogate through an entire calculation if the developer
forgets to initialize a floating point variable.

Problems:

- Inconsistent:
- Every other native type is initialized to '0'.
- Makes compilers and/or GC's more complicated to implement and maintain.
- Will probably make 'generic' programming with templates more complicated.
- using array.length on any native type will result in the elements being
initialized to 0, which is consistent with new for everything but floating
point. So for native types there's not only the default initializer
inconsistency but also another inconsistency between new and array.length.

- Unexpected/Non-intuitive:
- Because it's inconsistent within D itself (as above)
- No major language prior to D (that I'm aware of) does this
- Confusing to D newbies: Automatic initialization for a numeric type means '0'

fp types so 'auto-initialization' to them will mean '0' as well.

- Unefficient:
- instead of just memset() to 0, the compiler has to also init to nan when
new'ing an array. new is literally 6x slower in a simple loop when compared to
array.length.
- Instead of using this feature, I've recently found myself working around it
using array.length (instead of new) to avoid the nan initialization overhead.
For me this also has the added benefit of initializing the added elements to 0,
which is what I expect.

- Kludgy:
- The cases where people will have to needlessly complicate their code with
things like: "fparr[] = 0;" will happen much more often than people will want to
do: "fparr[] = double.nan;"

Maybe I'm wrong.. Opinions?

Thanks,

- Dave
Feb 18 2006
next sibling parent reply =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anders_F_Bj=F6rklund?= <afb algonet.se> writes:
Dave wrote:

 Problems:

 - Inconsistent:
 - Every other native type is initialized to '0'.
[...]
 Maybe I'm wrong.. Opinions?
Characters also have non-zero init values... http://www.digitalmars.com/d/type.html: char unsigned 8 bit UTF-8 0xFF wchar unsigned 16 bit UTF-16 0xFFFF dchar unsigned 32 bit UTF-32 0x0000FFFF But I think those should all be zero, as well. --anders
Feb 18 2006
parent "Dave" <Dave_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <dt862v$2vi4$1 digitaldaemon.com>,
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anders_F_Bj=F6rklund?= says...
Dave wrote:

 Problems:

 - Inconsistent:
 - Every other native type is initialized to '0'.
[...]
 Maybe I'm wrong.. Opinions?
Characters also have non-zero init values...
Yea - that should have read 'native numeric types', which is what I had in mind.
http://www.digitalmars.com/d/type.html:
char unsigned 8 bit UTF-8 0xFF
wchar unsigned 16 bit UTF-16 0xFFFF
dchar unsigned 32 bit UTF-32 0x0000FFFF

But I think those should all be zero, as well.
Another vote for that as well.
--anders
Feb 18 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Ivan Senji <ivan.senji_REMOVE_ _THIS__gmail.com> writes:
Dave wrote:
 Rational: nan will propogate through an entire calculation if the developer
 forgets to initialize a floating point variable.

And this is good because you know that there is a problem. What if you are multiplying a bunch of numbers and didn't initialize to 1?
 - Unefficient:
 - instead of just memset() to 0, the compiler has to also init to nan when
 new'ing an array. new is literally 6x slower in a simple loop when compared to
 array.length.
 - Instead of using this feature, I've recently found myself working around it
 using array.length (instead of new) to avoid the nan initialization overhead.
What? This sounds like a bug to me. Seting arrays lenght with length property should also init the array. Shouldn't it?
 For me this also has the added benefit of initializing the added elements to 0,
 which is what I expect.

 - Kludgy:
 - The cases where people will have to needlessly complicate their code with
 things like: "fparr[] = 0;" will happen much more often than people will want
 do: "fparr[] = double.nan;"
Maybe, but you can always create a uninitialized array with: float[100] fparr = void //or something like that (don't remember exactly)
Ivan Senji wrote:

 - Instead of using this feature, I've recently found myself working around it
 using array.length (instead of new) to avoid the nan initialization overhead.
 What? This sounds like a bug to me. Seting arrays lenght with length
 property should also init the array. Shouldn't it?
An age-old bug made it not initalize dynamic arrays with .init values. This seems to be a leftover, when later resizing it by using .length... Here's an example D program, showing that using length makes it zero: import std.stdio; void main() { int i; writefln("%d", i); int[] ia; ia.length = 1; foreach (int i; ia) writefln("%d", i); float f; writefln("%f", f); float[] fa; fa.length = 1; foreach (float f; fa) writefln("%f", f); char c; writefln("%x", c); char[] ca; ca.length = 1; foreach (char c; ca) writefln("%x", c); } Changing the above to constructors, makes it get the proper/init values: int[] ia = new int[1]; float[] fa = new float[1]; char[] ca = new char[1]; If you resize an array, only the new parts will be zeroed out. (realloc) See also http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/digitalmars/D/19780.html --anders
Feb 18 2006
parent reply "Walter Bright" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
"Anders F Björklund" <afb algonet.se> wrote in message
news:dt8eo8$5ol$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Here's an example D program, showing that using length makes it zero:
That's a bug. I'll add it to the list.
Feb 18 2006
parent =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anders_F_Bj=F6rklund?= <afb algonet.se> writes:
Walter Bright wrote:

Here's an example D program, showing that using length makes it zero:
That's a bug. I'll add it to the list.
Oh, I thought it was already on it... Glad I could help out, though. --anders
Feb 19 2006
prev sibling parent "Dave" <Dave_member pathlink.com> writes:
"Ivan Senji" <ivan.senji_REMOVE_ _THIS__gmail.com> wrote in message
news:dt8agm$2pm$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Dave wrote:
 Rational: nan will propogate through an entire calculation if the
 developer
 forgets to initialize a floating point variable.
And this is good because you know that there is a problem. What if you are multiplying a bunch of numbers and didn't initialize to 1?
I'd get 0 instead of nan and just as easily know there was something wrong. Plus it would be consistent with shorts, ints and longs. Look, the majority of programmers out there want and expect floating point types to act like integral types except with a decimal point and greater precision, at least in the great majority of cases. Consistency is huge - if there was a way to initialize integrals with nan then I'd say go for it across the board. But since fp types are the odd man out here I say make it consistent (0) for all. For the programmers who want nan init they can typedef: typedef double ndouble = double.nan;
 - Unefficient:
 - instead of just memset() to 0, the compiler has to also init to nan
 when
 new'ing an array. new is literally 6x slower in a simple loop when
 compared to
 array.length.
 - Instead of using this feature, I've recently found myself working
 around it
 using array.length (instead of new) to avoid the nan initialization
 overhead.
What? This sounds like a bug to me. Seting arrays lenght with length property should also init the array. Shouldn't it?
This is consistent for everything - native types and typedefs with init, so I'm not sure this is an un-intended bug. .length will initialize the *memory*, but not the elements to the default initializer.
 For me this also has the added benefit of initializing the added elements
 to 0,
 which is what I expect.

 - Kludgy:
 - The cases where people will have to needlessly complicate their code
 with
 things like: "fparr[] = 0;" will happen much more often than people will
 want to
 do: "fparr[] = double.nan;"
Maybe, but you can always create a uninitialized array with: float[100] fparr = void //or something like that (don't remember exactly)
Yes, but static arrays only though. - Dave
Feb 18 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "Jarrett Billingsley" <kb3ctd2 yahoo.com> writes:
"Dave" <Dave_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:dt85ll$2vis$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Maybe I'm wrong.. Opinions?
I agree. I've ended up getting _more_ bugs with the auto-initialization to nan, especially in large, complex calculations (i.e. calculating the transform matrices from position, rotation, and scaling for hierarchies of 3D objects). On paper, having the nan propagate sounds like a good idea, but in practice, it usually ends up just being a hard, hard bug to find. Most programs don't involve just printing out lists of floating point numbers, and so a nan in the calculations just ends up making things act strange instead of predictably (i.e. objects disappear or get skewed horribly instead of sitting still, in my 3D engine). And 99.999% of the time I need a float, I need it initialized to 0. Finally, the "uninitialized variables are an error" proposal seems to have fallen by the wayside (thankfully), and I make heavy use of the default value of 0 for int types, so I think that a useful default value for floats would make sense. As for [w|d]char initializers - I think 0xFF[FF[FFFF]] is fine. It's not like I really need chars initialized to anything - most of the time I use chars, I'm reading them in from something and so they get immediately filled with a value anyway.
Feb 18 2006
parent reply "Dave" <Dave_member pathlink.com> writes:
"Jarrett Billingsley" <kb3ctd2 yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:dt8fmn$6vs$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 "Dave" <Dave_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
 news:dt85ll$2vis$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Maybe I'm wrong.. Opinions?
On paper, having the nan propagate sounds like a good idea, but in practice, it usually ends up just being a hard, hard bug to find. Most programs don't
Exactly - it just kind of feels like an academic addition to the language that sounds good in the lab but doesn't work out in the field. Why do no other wide-spread languages (that auto-initialize) initialize floats to nan? I find it hard to believe that D gets this right and the rest somehow missed it, since hardware support for nan has been wide-spread for a long time. Heck even Fortran 95 doesn't auto-initialize at all, much less to nan.
 involve just printing out lists of floating point numbers, and so a nan in
 the calculations just ends up making things act strange instead of
 predictably (i.e. objects disappear or get skewed horribly instead of
 sitting still, in my 3D engine).  And 99.999% of the time I need a float,
 I need it initialized to 0.
Auto-initialization is great, just as long as it's consistent. One of the consistent hacks against C++ is all the special little corner cases you have to remember. nan init for floats is one of those for D, and I'm convinced will cause a lot of lively chatter on D newsgroups for years to come it left as-is once more people (like you) start using D for floating point. fp types to 0 - I never hear anyone complaining "if doubles were initialized to nans instead of 0, I wouldn't have all these bugs in my arithmetic".
 Finally, the "uninitialized variables are an error" proposal seems to have
 fallen by the wayside (thankfully), and I make heavy use of the default
 value of 0 for int types, so I think that a useful default value for
 floats would make sense.

 As for [w|d]char initializers - I think 0xFF[FF[FFFF]] is fine.  It's not
 like I really need chars initialized to anything - most of the time I use
 chars, I'm reading them in from something and so they get immediately
 filled with a value anyway.
I'm with you, but would like to see these init'd to 0, primarily for consistency (but the OP was really about arithmetic types anyhow). Also, 0, as they do with *all* native types (again easy to remember consistency). But, i'd be real happy to just get rid of nan. - Dave
Feb 18 2006
next sibling parent "Jarrett Billingsley" <kb3ctd2 yahoo.com> writes:
"Dave" <Dave_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:dt8o24$djh$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 I'm with you, but would like to see these init'd to 0, primarily for
 consistency (but the OP was really about arithmetic types anyhow). Also,

 to 0, as they do with *all* native types (again easy to remember
 consistency).
They used to be, but Walter changed it when Arcane Jill (i.e. the founder of Unicodism, a rabid religion whose platform is that of strict acceptance and compliance of Unicode) said that it should be 0xFF, which is the "nan" equivalent for Unicode characters - that is, 0xFF means "not a valid character." Of course, this still leaves out integral types, for which there is no nan equivalent. One thing that all three types can represent, however, is 0 :)
Feb 18 2006
prev sibling parent reply "Walter Bright" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
"Dave" <Dave_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:dt8o24$djh$1 digitaldaemon.com...

 initializing fp types to 0 - I never hear anyone complaining "if doubles
 were initialized to nans instead of 0, I wouldn't have all these bugs in
 my arithmetic".
I'll go out on a limb here, and say that Java was designed by people who were unfamiliar with numerical analysis. Prof. W. Kahan points out in great detail how they missed the boat with floating point. I am not too familiar of numerical analysts either. Neither have the designers of C and C++, nor the vendors. Heck, look how most C++ compilers turned their backs on 80 bit floating point!!! Any language that doesn't even fully support the floating point precision on the chip is not a precedent worth following, as nobody with understanding of numerical analysis has had any influence on its design. Such languages typically just copy what was done before without thinking about it. In a previous engineering life, I *have* done numerical analysis engineering work. Not a great deal, but enough to be familiar with why floating point is the way it is, and what sorts of problems and tradeoffs it is set up to deal with. I've participated in the Numerical C Extensions Group, which tried to make C into a more reasonable language for numerical work. Prof. Kahan was instrumental in the design of IEEE 754 floating point, and its first hardware implementation on the 8087 numeric coprocessor. I've read some of his papers, and have corresponded with him. He makes a whole lot of sense. I've also heard from people who do serious numerical work that, at last, D is a language that cares about numerical analysis and its needs. Default initializing to nan is part of that - it forces the user to *think* about what he wants the initial value to be. Initializing it by default to 0 means that it can easilly be overlooked, and 0.0 can introduce undetected, subtle errors in the result. I know FORTRAN doesn't deal with nans. That's unsurprising, since FORTRAN had been around for 25 years before nans were invented. There is a 'nan' value for pointers - null, a 'nan' value for UTF-8 chars - 0xFF - which is an illegal UTF-8 character. If there was a 'nan' value for ints, D would use it as the default, too.
Walter Bright wrote:

 Any language that doesn't even fully support the floating point precision on
 the chip is not a precedent worth following, as nobody with understanding of
 numerical analysis has had any influence on its design. Such languages
 typically just copy what was done before without thinking about it.
IMHO: Adding 128-bit floating point to the D language spec would help here... It fits in nicely with the other types, and shows of looking forward ? quad 128 bit floating point (reserved for future use) --anders See http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/digitalmars/D/31899.html (RFE)
Feb 19 2006
parent reply "Walter Bright" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
"Anders F Björklund" <afb algonet.se> wrote in message
news:dt9bsu$1s3o$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Adding 128-bit floating point to the D language spec would help here...
 It fits in nicely with the other types, and shows of looking forward ?

 quad         128 bit floating point (reserved for future use)
I suspect any such machines will not support 80 bit floats, so the 128 bit ones would just be 'real'.
Feb 19 2006
Walter Bright wrote:

quad         128 bit floating point (reserved for future use)
I suspect any such machines will not support 80 bit floats, so the 128 bit ones would just be 'real'.
Right... The list I had was for fixed-size formats, not variable ones. i.e. "half" - 16 bit floating point (storage only) "float" - 32 bit floating point (a.k.a. single) "double" - 64 bit floating point "extend" - 80 bit floating point (or "extended") "quad" - 128 bit floating point (future use) Where "real" would just be an alias, and not a language type. --anders
Feb 19 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "Jarrett Billingsley" <kb3ctd2 yahoo.com> writes:
"Walter Bright" <newshound digitalmars.com> wrote in message
news:dt98cn$1ord$4 digitaldaemon.com...
 Default initializing to nan is part of that - it forces the user to
 *think* about what he wants the initial value to be. Initializing it by
 default to 0 means that it can easilly be overlooked, and 0.0 can
 introduce undetected, subtle errors in the result.
And most of the time, I *think* that I want it to be 0. It's a rare occasion that I don't want it to be. And I already explained that nan gives me more problems than 0 would - especially in systems where the values of the numbers aren't displayed in numerical form.
 There is a 'nan' value for pointers - null, a 'nan' value for UTF-8
 chars - 0xFF - which is an illegal UTF-8 character. If there was a 'nan'
 value for ints, D would use it as the default, too.
And so it is, then, that the two numerical types in D - integral and floating point - have two different initializers. It makes no sense. And again, I wonder to myself why I'm trying to convince you, because I know it won't happen. I keep forgetting that one has to be named Don, Jill, or Matthew for one's suggestions to even be considered.
Feb 19 2006
parent "Walter Bright" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
"Jarrett Billingsley" <kb3ctd2 yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:dt9cl0$1son$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 "Walter Bright" <newshound digitalmars.com> wrote in message
 news:dt98cn$1ord$4 digitaldaemon.com...
 *think* about what he wants the initial value to be. Initializing it by
 default to 0 means that it can easilly be overlooked, and 0.0 can
 introduce undetected, subtle errors in the result.
And most of the time, I *think* that I want it to be 0. It's a rare occasion that I don't want it to be. And I already explained that nan gives me more problems than 0 would - especially in systems where the values of the numbers aren't displayed in numerical form.
If it was default initialized to 0, there'd be no way to detect the errors that would happen in those rare cases where you didn't want it initialized to 0. At least with the nan initialization you *know* there's a bug. The nan default initialization is not there for convenience, it's there to flush out bugs.
 And so it is, then, that the two numerical types in D - integral and
 floating point - have two different initializers.  It makes no sense.
Every type has the default initializer that is most appropriate for that type, and each makes sense in the context of its type. Float does doesn't need to make sense in the context of int - it's very different from int, more than just nans, and treating it like an int is a sure route to bugs.
 And again, I wonder to myself why I'm trying to convince you, because I
 know it won't happen.  I keep forgetting that one has to be named Don,
 Jill, or Matthew for one's suggestions to even be considered.
Consideration is not the same thing as adopting. D can't adopt every suggestion - especially since most are mutually contradictory. (Jill thought default 0 initialization for chars makes no sense, you think non-zero makes no sense.) I'm trying to explain the rationale for how it works, that it is not some thoughtless irrational decision. If you don't agree with the rationale, that's fine, but there *is* a rationale. If anyone thinks I've agreed with every proposal they've made, or even a fraction of them, I think they'd vehemently disagree <g>.
Feb 19 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Dave <Dave_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <dt98cn$1ord$4 digitaldaemon.com>, Walter Bright says...
"Dave" <Dave_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:dt8o24$djh$1 digitaldaemon.com...

 initializing fp types to 0 - I never hear anyone complaining "if doubles
 were initialized to nans instead of 0, I wouldn't have all these bugs in
 my arithmetic".
I've also heard from people who do serious numerical work that, at last, D is a language that cares about numerical analysis and its needs. Default initializing to nan is part of that - it forces the user to *think* about what he wants the initial value to be. Initializing it by default to 0 means that it can easilly be overlooked, and 0.0 can introduce undetected, subtle errors in the result.
Excepting nan init., I'm all for the great support that D gives to numerical work, but not at the expense of the great majority of developers who don't do a lot of "serious" numerical work day-in and day-out. Great numerics support won't mean anything if the general developer community does not pick up the language because they don't like (what they may well see as) inconsistencies in the initialization of basic types. You mentioned that you recently got some good feedback on D from the NWCUG - I wonder what they would think of initializing with nan vs. 0 for integral types? I know that internal to the machine, integral and fp types are worlds apart. But a 'typical' developer uses floating point because they need precision past the decimal point, but beyond that expects integrals and floats to pretty much act the same. IMO, the typical developer writing the typical program using some fp will end up writing most of their code like this: double foo(...) { int i,j,k; double sum, dx, dy; //... for(...) { //... sum += dx + dy; //... } return sum; } [compile, run, oh shit] double foo(...) { int i,j,k; double sum = 0; //... for(...) { double dx = ..., dy = ...; //... sum += dx + dy; //... } return sum; }
I know FORTRAN doesn't deal with nans. That's unsurprising, since FORTRAN
had been around for 25 years before nans were invented.
Yes, but even Fortran 95 doesn't do nan initialization - why?
There is a 'nan' value for pointers - null, a 'nan' value for UTF-8 chars -
0xFF - which is an illegal UTF-8 character. If there was a 'nan' value for
ints, D would use it as the default, too.
As I mentioned previously, I wouldn't care about fp nans then because it would be consistent for both integral and fp math operations (as seen from a 'typical' developers perspective - they'd be use to initializing everything, integral and fp alike).
Feb 19 2006
Dave wrote:
[...]

or maybe sum *= dx + dy; In that case 0 is as bad as anything else. Atleast with nan, a developer may decide to print sum to console and find out that it is nan. But what if the formula is sum = sum*dx + dy; -> this will cause subtle errors if you expected sum to be 1 for example. But you will get some numbers as a result but they are wrong even though you think they are allright, and the next thing you know your D-driven spaceship is falling onto Mars too fast and you are loosing alot of money an thinking: if only that sum was initialized to nan! :) PS I was against float.init==nan at first but got used to it, and realized that it is a good thing. The policy of D is: initialize things to error states if possible. That unfortunatelly is imposible for int's but is for floats and chars.
Feb 19 2006
Ivan Senji wrote:

 In that case 0 is as bad as anything else. Atleast with nan, a developer
 may decide to print sum to console and find out that it is nan. But what
 if the formula is
 sum = sum*dx + dy; -> this will cause subtle errors if you expected sum
 to be 1 for example. But you will get some numbers as a result but they
 are wrong even though you think they are allright, and the next thing
 you know your D-driven spaceship is falling onto Mars too fast and you
 are loosing alot of money an thinking: if only that sum was initialized
 to nan! :)
Then again, it's usually better to catch those bugs at compile time ? Like in Java: (jikes compiler) *** Semantic Error: The variable "sum" may be accessed here before having been definitely assigned a value. Sometimes I think D has too many runtime errors, waiting to happen... --anders
Feb 19 2006
Anders F Björklund wrote:
 Ivan Senji wrote:

 In that case 0 is as bad as anything else. Atleast with nan, a
 developer may decide to print sum to console and find out that it is
 nan. But what if the formula is
 sum = sum*dx + dy; -> this will cause subtle errors if you expected
 sum to be 1 for example. But you will get some numbers as a result but
 they are wrong even though you think they are allright, and the next
 thing you know your D-driven spaceship is falling onto Mars too fast
 and you are loosing alot of money an thinking: if only that sum was
 initialized to nan! :)
Then again, it's usually better to catch those bugs at compile time ?
although it can be a little irritating it is uesfull. Maybe this could be warning? But it isn't that easy to detect.
Feb 19 2006
Ivan Senji wrote:

 Then again, it's usually better to catch those bugs at compile time ?
although it can be a little irritating it is uesfull. Maybe this could be warning? But it isn't that easy to detect.
D doesn't do warnings, so run-time errors seem to be preferred. --anders
Feb 19 2006
prev sibling parent reply "Walter Bright" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
"Anders F Björklund" <afb algonet.se> wrote in message
news:dtaf3q$2qlp$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Then again, it's usually better to catch those bugs at compile time ?

 Like in Java: (jikes compiler)
 *** Semantic Error: The variable "sum" may be accessed here before having
 been definitely assigned a value.
"may" be? That's why it isn't in D. Wishy-washy messages aren't a solution. Furthermore, they encourage programmers to introduce dead assignments to get rid of the message, leaving the mysterious assignment to confuse the maintenance programmer trying to figure out what the code does. Good, clean code should have every statement be reachable, and every assignment mean something. Having the compiler force you to insert meaningless assignments and unreachable code is just not helpful.
Feb 19 2006
Walter Bright wrote:

Like in Java: (jikes compiler)
*** Semantic Error: The variable "sum" may be accessed here before having
been definitely assigned a value.
"may" be? That's why it isn't in D. Wishy-washy messages aren't a solution.
Jikes is always so polite about it, other compilers are more terse: * javac: "variable sum might not have been initialized" * gcc: "warning: `sum' might be used uninitialized in this function" But you are right, as it's leaving the possibility that it is wrong... (it's an error in Java, and an optional -Wuninitialized warning in GCC)
Yes, sometimes workarounds like that are needed to "silence" GCC... The warning also only occurs during optimization/register candidates: http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-3.3.6/gcc/Warning-Options.html#index-Wuninitialized-214 There's also special attributes and preprocessor tricks to "help" it.
 Good, clean code should have every statement be reachable, and every
 assignment mean something. Having the compiler force you to insert
 meaningless assignments and unreachable code is just not helpful.
You're only "forced" if you want it to compile without warnings, though. Having it lintfree/warningless takes some initial effort, no doubt about that. But after that it is usually "effortless", and helps catch bugs... I know what you think about warnings :-), so it is probably not for D. (Having Phobos compile with the -w flag takes same about of workarounds) The only thing that has me confused, is the D overview says that D is for people who like using lint and compile with all warnings as errors. And activities such as the above "not helpful" ones is what I associate with those two extra code analysis passes. Maybe I'm stuck in the past ? --anders
Feb 19 2006
parent reply "Walter Bright" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
"Anders F Björklund" <afb algonet.se> wrote in message
news:dtbs2u$15dl$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 The only thing that has me confused, is the D overview says that D is for
 people who like using lint and compile with all warnings as errors.
No two compilers emit the same warnings. So a general statement about warnings does not mean I consider a particular warning to be worth having. DMC doesn't emit any wishy-washy warnings.
Feb 20 2006
Walter Bright wrote:

 DMC doesn't emit any wishy-washy warnings.
Haven't used DMC enough, I'm afraid, just GCC... (something of a side effect from not using Win) Nothing personal :-) --anders PS. Doing some Windows now, so I will play with it. (probably not enough to purchase the CD, though)
Feb 20 2006
prev sibling parent reply "Walter Bright" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
"Ivan Senji" <ivan.senji_REMOVE_ _THIS__gmail.com> wrote in message
news:dtadui$2pt4$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 The policy of D is: initialize things to error states if possible. That
 unfortunatelly is imposible for int's but is for floats and chars.
That's right. The default initialization is *not* about being convenient or a shorthand. It's about being an aid to writing bug free code. If there was a nan value for ints, that would be the default initialization for that, too. I'd love it if you could set a bit for a memory address that is cleared when the address is written to, and generates a hardware fault if it is read with that bit set. But there is no such thing, and nan is the best we can do otherwise.
Feb 19 2006

So it's an error to use ints before they're initialized ? I thought it was "OK" to assume they all started at zero... You know, like in: http://www.digitalmars.com/d/wc.html ;-)
 If there was a nan value for ints, that would be the default initialization
 for that, too. I'd love it if you could set a bit for a memory address that
 is cleared when the address is written to, and generates a hardware fault if
 it is read with that bit set. But there is no such thing, and nan is the
 best we can do otherwise.
So if the int.init is ever changed to something "nan"-ish, like -1 or 0xDEADBEEF or something, it could stop to work later on ? Guess this means to start using an "= 0;" explicit init value. --anders
Feb 19 2006
parent reply "Walter Bright" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
"Anders F Björklund" <afb algonet.se> wrote in message
news:dtah5j$2snt$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Walter Bright wrote:
 That's right. The default initialization is *not* about being convenient
 or a shorthand. It's about being an aid to writing bug free code.
So it's an error to use ints before they're initialized ? I thought it was "OK" to assume they all started at zero... You know, like in: http://www.digitalmars.com/d/wc.html ;-)
Sometimes I get lazy. :-) I'll say it's poor style, and yes, I'm guilty of it.
 If there was a nan value for ints, that would be the default
 initialization for that, too. I'd love it if you could set a bit for a
 memory address that is cleared when the address is written to, and
 generates a hardware fault if it is read with that bit set. But there is
 no such thing, and nan is the best we can do otherwise.
So if the int.init is ever changed to something "nan"-ish, like -1 or 0xDEADBEEF or something, it could stop to work later on ?
It isn't going to change, for the pragmatic reason it'll break too much code. There's too much water under that bridge.
 Guess this means to start using an "= 0;" explicit init value.
I think it's good style to let the maintainer know that one intended it to be 0.
Feb 19 2006
Walter Bright wrote:

I thought it was "OK" to assume they all started at zero...
You know, like in: http://www.digitalmars.com/d/wc.html ;-)
Sometimes I get lazy. :-) I'll say it's poor style, and yes, I'm guilty of it.
As long as it is clear... (In some other languages, it's stylish) But in D, the .init values are a debugging aid and not a shortcut.
Guess this means to start using an "= 0;" explicit init value.
I think it's good style to let the maintainer know that one intended it to be 0.
Yeah, I usually do this anyway - just to avoid warnings in C: "warning: `sum' might be used uninitialized in this function" --anders
Feb 19 2006
prev sibling parent reply "Derek Parnell" <derek psych.ward> writes:
I support the use of NaN as an initializer. I only wish it could also be
done for all numerics.

I work with a language (Euphoria) in which all variables are set to
uninitialized and it doesn't allow you to use an uninitialized variable.
And it  doesn't have syntax to initialize them at declaration time. This
strict enforcement has made me appreciate the importance of explicitly
initializing variables to improve readibility and removing potential bugs.

(I just wish Euphoria would allow one to initialize at declaration time
though <g>)

--
Derek Parnell
Melbourne, Australia
parent reply "Walter Bright" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
"Derek Parnell" <derek psych.ward> wrote in message
news:op.s5ahr0v26b8z09 ginger.vic.bigpond.net.au...
 I work with a language (Euphoria) in which all variables are set to
 uninitialized and it doesn't allow you to use an uninitialized variable.
That appears to implement in software my idea that memory should have a parallel set of bits saying whether each location is initialized or not. The trouble with doing it in software is it about halves the execution speed.
Feb 20 2006
next sibling parent Sean Kelly <sean f4.ca> writes:
Walter Bright wrote:
 "Derek Parnell" <derek psych.ward> wrote in message
 news:op.s5ahr0v26b8z09 ginger.vic.bigpond.net.au...
 I work with a language (Euphoria) in which all variables are set to
 uninitialized and it doesn't allow you to use an uninitialized variable.
That appears to implement in software my idea that memory should have a parallel set of bits saying whether each location is initialized or not. The trouble with doing it in software is it about halves the execution speed.
Could make it an optional/debug feature, but it might be a lot of work for something that a code analyzer could possibly accomplish as well? Sean
Feb 20 2006
prev sibling parent reply Derek Parnell <derek psych.ward> writes:
 "Derek Parnell" <derek psych.ward> wrote in message
 news:op.s5ahr0v26b8z09 ginger.vic.bigpond.net.au...
 I work with a language (Euphoria) in which all variables are set to
 uninitialized and it doesn't allow you to use an uninitialized variable.
That appears to implement in software my idea that memory should have a parallel set of bits saying whether each location is initialized or not. The trouble with doing it in software is it about halves the execution speed.
Yes, I know that, and I wasn't suggesting that D adopt this strategy. Euphoria is an interpreter so its not trying to be as fast as a compiled program, and thus the extra management overheads for this facility are not a problem for it. I was just saying that my experience with working with variables that must be explicitly initialized has been beneficial, and so I was attempting to support NaN for floating point, etc... -- Derek (skype: derek.j.parnell) Melbourne, Australia "Down with mediocracy!" 21/02/2006 4:26:11 PM
Feb 20 2006
parent "Walter Bright" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
"Derek Parnell" <derek psych.ward> wrote in message
news:13ffimd0poz2u$.i1ldoex0oqcq$.dlg 40tude.net...
 Yes, I know that, and I wasn't suggesting that D adopt this strategy.
 Euphoria is an interpreter so its not trying to be as fast as a compiled
 program, and thus the extra management overheads for this facility are not
 a problem for it. I was just saying that my experience with working with
 variables that must be explicitly initialized has been beneficial, and so
 was attempting to support NaN for floating point, etc...
Thanks for clarifying this.
Feb 20 2006
prev sibling parent reply John Stoneham <captnjameskirk moc.oohay> writes:
Walter Bright wrote:
 I've also heard from people who do serious numerical work that, at last, D
 is a language that cares about numerical analysis and its needs. Default
 initializing to nan is part of that - it forces the user to *think* about
 what he wants the initial value to be. Initializing it by default to 0 means
 that it can easilly be overlooked, and 0.0 can introduce undetected, subtle
 errors in the result.

I agree. I'm currently working on an involved combinatorial calculation, and having one of the doubles auto-initialized to NAN help me find a bug in one of the calculations which would have been very difficult to find otherwise. I say keep it.
 There is a 'nan' value for pointers - null, a 'nan' value for UTF-8 chars -
 0xFF - which is an illegal UTF-8 character. If there was a 'nan' value for
 ints, D would use it as the default, too.

There *is* a way get this behavior, and it can be done at compile time: raise an error when an int is assigned an initial value which cannot be calculated at compile time. This behavior could even be turned on with a command-line switch, -nan, or whatever. For example: int x = 1; int y, z; // initialization: y = 7; // this is obviously ok y = x; // this would also ok z = abs(y); // this would raise an error, requires runtime evaluation Or, even better, raise an error when the initialization value isn't a numeric literal. This would probably be even more consistent with the floating-point NAN behavior.
Feb 19 2006
parent reply Sean Kelly <sean f4.ca> writes:
John Stoneham wrote:
 Walter Bright wrote:
[...]
This would be nice. Sean
Sean Kelly wrote:
 John Stoneham wrote:
 Walter Bright wrote:
[...]
This would be nice.
I take it back: struct S { int i; } Sean
Feb 19 2006
Sean Kelly wrote:
 Sean Kelly wrote:
 John Stoneham wrote:
 Walter Bright wrote:
[...]
Actually, does this work? struct S { int i = 5; } Not quite a flexible as a ctor, but it would be sufficient for the above suggestion. Sean
Feb 19 2006
prev sibling parent "Ben Hinkle" <ben.hinkle gmail.com> writes:
"Dave" <Dave_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:dt85ll$2vis$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Rational: nan will propogate through an entire calculation if the
 developer
 forgets to initialize a floating point variable.
[snip]
 Maybe I'm wrong.. Opinions?

 Thanks,

 - Dave
I'm with you that nan initializer is annoying. The archives have some discussions on the topic - with Walter's replies. My own approach would be to use 0 initializer, toss 'auto' and introduce that := operator that came up recently that I talk about every now and then. The benefit of := is that *you* supply the initialization so the whole issue of worying about the default initializer is much less common. For example instead of double x; and wondering what the initial value is (if any) one writes x := 0.0; and you're done. Multiple variables are declared-and-inited using x := y := z := 0.0; -Ben ps. I hope people aren't annoyed by this plug but := is in Cx http://www.cxlang.org
Feb 19 2006