digitalmars.D - Get rid of bit and bit[] ?

reply "Walter Bright" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
I think the basic type bit has been a failure. It's a substantial increase
in the compiler and runtime complexity to support it. Nobody seems happy
about bit being a boolean type. There's no reasonable way to take a pointer
to a bit, meaning that out and inout bit parameters are inconsistent and
kludgy.

Should bit and bit[] be removed before 1.0?

There is a place for bit[] as a library type, though.

So what do people think?
Feb 16 2006
next sibling parent reply John Stoneham <captnjameskirk moc.oohay> writes:
Walter Bright wrote:
 I think the basic type bit has been a failure. It's a substantial increase
 in the compiler and runtime complexity to support it. Nobody seems happy
 about bit being a boolean type. There's no reasonable way to take a pointer
 to a bit, meaning that out and inout bit parameters are inconsistent and
 kludgy.

 Should bit and bit[] be removed before 1.0?

 There is a place for bit[] as a library type, though.

 So what do people think?

I think you shouldn't remove it unless you are replacing it with a true (pardon the pun) boolean type. To me, bool doesn't have to be a completely distinct type from, say, int (it could even be an alias for int). But it should still be an available type.
Feb 16 2006
parent reply Sean Kelly <sean f4.ca> writes:
John Stoneham wrote:
 Walter Bright wrote:
 I think the basic type bit has been a failure. It's a substantial
 increase in the compiler and runtime complexity to support it. Nobody
 seems happy about bit being a boolean type. There's no reasonable way
 to take a pointer to a bit, meaning that out and inout bit parameters
 are inconsistent and kludgy.

 Should bit and bit[] be removed before 1.0?

 There is a place for bit[] as a library type, though.

 So what do people think?
I think you shouldn't remove it unless you are replacing it with a true (pardon the pun) boolean type. To me, bool doesn't have to be a completely distinct type from, say, int (it could even be an alias for int). But it should still be an available type.
Good point. If 'bit' is going away then we need some form of boolean type to replace it. But I'll accept it being as loosely defined as bit is now--my primary concern is that its value must always be either 'true' or 'false'. Sean
Feb 16 2006
parent reply "Kris" <fu bar.com> writes:
Bit could be aliased in the interim.