digitalmars.D - D library contest ideas

reply =?iso-8859-1?q?Knud_S=F8rensen?= <12tkvvb02 sneakemail.com> writes:
Hi

The idea about a D code contest have been raised before
but nothing have been made jet.

I think that a code contest would be a good way to promote D
and if it is made right it may also give the D community
some good code libraries .

Here is some ideas on how such a contest could be.

1) We make a open money pool where everybody can donate.
2) To participate you have to write a D library of your own choice.
3) The first deadline is 4 month from the start.
At this deadline the libraries is released to the D community
under a open source license so that the write can get feedback from the
community.

4) The last deadline is after 6 month from the start
and here the final version is send to the contest committee.

5) After the committee have found the winners the money pool
is divided with
1/2 of the money to 1. place,
1/4 to 2. place
1/8 to 3. place
1/16 to 4. place
etc.

6) Then the best libraries is add to the standard lib
and D 1.0 is released :-)
7) The the contest is repeated for D 2.0.

Ps.)
This post where made late at night so please ignore all the errors.

Feb 09 2006
parent =?iso-8859-1?q?Knud_S=F8rensen?= <12tkvvb02 sneakemail.com> writes:

 ----- Original Message ----- From: "Knud Sørensen" <12tkvvb02 sneakemail.com>
[...]

Nice idea. But I think that it makes sense to outline area of such libraries somehow. Library for the Go game is probably make sense, but I think that lets say IDE (as a library) makes more sense at this point. Andrew.
Here I kindly disagree :-) I don't think the a Go expert which would write a Go library would magical transform into a IDE expert just because Go libs wasn't allowed. So the only thing such or similar limit would achieve would be to prevent the D community from having a Go library. And the limit wouldn't encourage the Go expert to try D and discover, which a fine language it is. So, I don't think we should limit the area but I do think that a IDE lib would stand a better chance of winning. But we might tell them that the libs should be written with unit testing in mind or other similar goals.
Feb 10 2006