digitalmars.D - Build - standard compilation tool ?

reply "Charles" <noone nowhere.com> writes:
A standard GUI and a standard build tool!  I think everyone uses build
already anyway, getting DigitalMars endorsement would save everyone the
effort of saying 'use build its over here ->'.

?
Feb 08 2006
next sibling parent reply Hasan Aljudy <hasan.aljudy gmail.com> writes:
Charles wrote:
 A standard GUI and a standard build tool!  I think everyone uses build
 already anyway, getting DigitalMars endorsement would save everyone the
 effort of saying 'use build its over here ->'.

I second that. It'd be even better if it came directly with dmd!!
Feb 08 2006
parent clayasaurus <clayasaurus gmail.com> writes:
Hasan Aljudy wrote:
 Charles wrote:
 A standard GUI and a standard build tool!  I think everyone uses build
 already anyway, getting DigitalMars endorsement would save everyone the
 effort of saying 'use build its over here ->'.
I second that. It'd be even better if it came directly with dmd!!
vote++.
Feb 08 2006
prev sibling next sibling parent reply =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anders_F_Bj=F6rklund?= <afb algonet.se> writes:
Charles wrote:

 A standard GUI and a standard build tool!  I think everyone uses build
 already anyway, getting DigitalMars endorsement would save everyone the
 effort of saying 'use build its over here ->'.
Build still has some quirks on Mac / with GDC. i.e. it builds alright, but can't seem to find the standard library modules without "hints" ? Maybe it's just me... (so I am using Makefiles) --anders
Feb 08 2006
parent reply "Derek Parnell" <derek psych.ward> writes:
On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 05:23:48 +1100, Anders F Björklund <afb algonet.se>
 A standard GUI and a standard build tool!  I think everyone uses build
 already anyway, getting DigitalMars endorsement would save everyone the
 effort of saying 'use build its over here ->'.
Build still has some quirks on Mac / with GDC. i.e. it builds alright, but can't seem to find the standard library modules without "hints" ? Maybe it's just me... (so I am using Makefiles) --anders
Can I have some details. I just might be able to help. -- Derek Parnell Melbourne, Australia
Feb 08 2006
parent =?UTF-8?B?QW5kZXJzIEYgQmrDtnJrbHVuZA==?= <afb algonet.se> writes:
Derek Parnell wrote:

 i.e. it builds alright, but can't seem to find
 the standard library modules without "hints" ?

 Maybe it's just me... (so I am using Makefiles)
Can I have some details. I just might be able to help.
Maybe I'm just missing some basic setup steps... The GDC compiler is "/usr/bin/gdmd" just as usual, and Phobos modules are in /usr/include/d/3.3.6 or /usr/include/d/4.0.1 (depending on the OS version) My local D modules are in /usr/include/d, but I guess those will have to be -I included somehow ? Been a while since I tried, will post to forum... (i.e. http://dsource.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=52) Build working out-of-the-box for gdcmac would be great. --anders PS. It's mostly a "habit" thing. I'm using CVS too. :-)
Feb 08 2006
prev sibling parent reply "Jarrett Billingsley" <kb3ctd2 yahoo.com> writes:
"Charles" <noone nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:dsdb37$1vdk$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 A standard GUI and a standard build tool!  I think everyone uses build
 already anyway, getting DigitalMars endorsement would save everyone the
 effort of saying 'use build its over here ->'.
It doesn't work properly with one of my (main) projects, as I do some pretty weird compiler cajoling to get it to compile. So I usually don't use it, but it seems like a really cool tool, and perhaps some of its functionality should be implemented into the compiler (such as compiling any imported modules which aren't just headers).
Feb 08 2006
parent "Derek Parnell" <derek psych.ward> writes:
On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 07:56:58 +1100, Jarrett Billingsley
 "Charles" <noone nowhere.com> wrote in message
 news:dsdb37$1vdk$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 A standard GUI and a standard build tool!  I think everyone uses build
 already anyway, getting DigitalMars endorsement would save everyone the
 effort of saying 'use build its over here ->'.
It doesn't work properly with one of my (main) projects, as I do some pretty weird compiler cajoling to get it to compile. So I usually don't use it, but it seems like a really cool tool, and perhaps some of its functionality should be implemented into the compiler (such as compiling any imported modules which aren't just headers).
Can I have a crack at it anyway? I'd like to remove any corner cases so that Build can be used in more places. What examples of the "weird compiler cajoling" can you give me? BTW, I'm just about to release the next version. I'm currently converting the documentation over to DDOC format. -- Derek Parnell Melbourne, Australia
Feb 08 2006