digitalmars.D - Python integration / Linux shared library support

reply David Rushby <David_member pathlink.com> writes:
You may recall that back in late October, I overhauled, bugfixed and completed
Deja Augustine's partial D-ification of the Python/C API.  I then wrote
"distutils" support for dmd, so that compiling and distributing Python extension
modules written in D can be done in the way Python/C API programmers expect.

I also intended to write some documentation, and Walter wanted to make the
project available in a more visible+official location.  However, progress ground
to a screeching halt when I learned that DMD didn't support shared libraries on
Linux, making it useless for extending Python (and virtually every other popular
interpreted language) on that platform.

Walter then declared his intent
(http://www.digitalmars.com/drn-bin/wwwnews?digitalmars.D/29431 ) to deal with
the issue.  I haven't been following this newsgroup very closely, but I've
searched the archives for the past few months and looked at the DMD release
notes, and I can't find any indication of progress on Linux shared libraries.
Has there been any, and is there anything I can do to help?

Thanks.
Jan 17 2006
parent reply "Walter Bright" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
"David Rushby" <David_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:dqk0ka$29to$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Walter then declared his intent
 (http://www.digitalmars.com/drn-bin/wwwnews?digitalmars.D/29431 ) to deal
 with
 the issue.  I haven't been following this newsgroup very closely, but I've
 searched the archives for the past few months and looked at the DMD
 release
 notes, and I can't find any indication of progress on Linux shared
 libraries.
 Has there been any, and is there anything I can do to help?
I haven't forgotten, but I haven't finished the shared library support yet. I know you're blocked with this problem.
Jan 17 2006
parent reply David Rushby <David_member pathlink.com> writes:
Walter Bright wrote:
"David Rushby" <David_member pathlink.com> wrote :
 ... I can't find any indication of progress on Linux shared
 libraries.
 Has there been any, and is there anything I can do to help?
I haven't forgotten, but I haven't finished the shared library support yet. I know you're blocked with this problem.
Thank you for the info, Walter.
Jan 18 2006
parent kai <digitalmars kaishaku.org> writes:
On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 11:38:02 +0000 (UTC), David Rushby
"David Rushby" <David_member pathlink.com> wrote :
 ... I can't find any indication of progress on Linux shared
 libraries.
 Has there been any, and is there anything I can do to help?
I haven't forgotten, but I haven't finished the shared library support yet. I know you're blocked with this problem.
Thank you for the info, Walter.
I just want to say I am interested in D Python extensions as well. Python + C is very powerful, and keeps me from using D in my commercial developments. This has been the case since I first visited these forums 3 and a half years ago.
Jan 24 2006