digitalmars.D - Matthew -- Phobos Licensing

reply David Friedman <d3rdclsmail_a_ _t_earthlink_d_._t_net> writes:
Matthew,

Can I bother you about something right before Christmas? :) I'm getting
ready to put GDC on sourceforge. Due to SF's requirements for licenses,
I do not believe I can include the Phobos modules that have the Synesis
license.  I know the new version of recls has a BSD license and I plan
to use that.  Would you be willing to relicense the std.loader and
std.windows.registry modules as well?

Thanks,

David
Dec 23 2005
next sibling parent reply "Matthew" <matthew hat.stlsoft.dot.org> writes:
Absolutely. (And congratulations on working out a way to capture my
attention on my daily 1 minute browse of 17000+ unread messages in this NG.
<g>)

    "I hereby declare that I give my permission to update the following
Phobos contributions from their existing licenses to the BSD-style license
evident in std.openrj:

        std.loader
        std.mmfile
        std.perf
        std.process
        std.windows.registry

    --
    Matthew Wilson

    Director, Synesis Software
    Synesis Software Pty Ltd
    P.O.Box 125
    Waverley
    New South Wales, 2024
    Australia
    "

However, as you have alluded, this still leaves the issue of the STLSoft
headers supporting recls and std.recls itself. I've just looked, and those
files are now more than two years out of date! I cannot agree to them being
updated as is with just a license change, and I'm glad you're going to use
the new version. I think there's no sensible objection to Phobos being
updated with the latest recls version - which offers D-style syntax and a
*lot* more features! - and I'd be happy to work with Walter in getting it
ready. But, if he still refuses to do that, I'll happily work with you on
getting the GDC version up to scratch. (FYI: I still plan recls2, which
Walter's hanging out for, but it's still nothing more than concepts on
paper, and is not likely to be more than that until XSTL vol 2 is done,
which'll be around May.)

As far as I can recollect, the version of std.recls I have here is just
about ready to go, and needs only one new small upgrade, the incorporation
of the new function Recls_SearchFeedback(), which uses a cancellable
callback function to provide feedback of the directories as they're
searched. This needs to be mapped to a delegate, and I have no idea how to
do that at the mo. (I've already made this work for .NET, and I'm a bright
boy, so I just need a simple example to get me over the line on this one.)
If you would be willing to work with me on this, we can have std.recls
whipped into excellent shape in no time.

But, in the spirit of the season, that's all on one condition: That you help
me get up and running with GDC on my Mac or, failing that, on my Linux box.
;-) Hey, you never know, if I'm up and running on D on my Mac, I might be in
a position to ramp up the contributions once again. <g>

Cheers (and Merry Christmas)

Matthew

news:doh372$1lpd$1 digitaldaemon.com...

next sibling parent clayasaurus <clayasaurus gmail.com> writes:
FYI http://gdcmac.sourceforge.net/ may help.

Matthew wrote:
 But, in the spirit of the season, that's all on one condition: That you help
 me get up and running with GDC on my Mac or, failing that, on my Linux box.
 ;-) Hey, you never know, if I'm up and running on D on my Mac, I might be in
 a position to ramp up the contributions once again. <g>

 Cheers (and Merry Christmas)

 Matthew

Dec 23 2005
prev sibling parent reply David Friedman <d3rdclsmail_a_ _t_earthlink_d_._t_net> writes:
Much thanks!

Is the recls function that needs to work with delegates
"Recls_SearchProcess"?  I didn't see anything with "feedback".

As clay already mentioned, the gdcmac binary distribution
(http://gdcmac.sourceforge.net) is the best way to get GDC working on a
Mac.  If you have any questions about that or GDC on Linux, let me know.

Merry Christmas,

David

Matthew wrote:
[...]

No worries. I've been bothered for a long time by the licenses, the relatively crappy nature of a couple of my contributions, and the *very* out-of-date nature of std.recls, but have been hit by the brick wall so many times that I gave up trying, and was resigned to dealing when them when I "come back" next year.
 Is the recls function that needs to work with delegates
 "Recls_SearchProcess"?  I didn't see anything with "feedback".
No, it's in 1.7, which has been pretty much ready for months but not been released because it's been waiting for STLSoft 1.9, which is now available as beta 1. ;-) I am, right now, working on getting 1.7 tested and ready for release, and updating the std/etc/c/recls & std/etc/c/stlsoft folders and the makefile. I've already tested that the current changes - except with feedback - work with std.recls, so I think the way to go is to place a recls 1.7 beta 1 on the recls website that you can download, and then maybe we can work together to get the feedback stuff in. Sound ok?
 As clay already mentioned, the gdcmac binary distribution
 (http://gdcmac.sourceforge.net) is the best way to get GDC working on a
 Mac.  If you have any questions about that or GDC on Linux, let me know.
I downloaded and installed, but then when I tried to compile it complained that it could not see object.d, so either the installer screwed up or I'm supposed to install the D libs separately. But I've not had change yet to test either hypothesis.
 Merry Christmas,

 David

Matthew wrote:
[...]
Yep. That's good.

As clay already mentioned, the gdcmac binary distribution
(http://gdcmac.sourceforge.net) is the best way to get GDC working on a
Mac.  If you have any questions about that or GDC on Linux, let me know.
I downloaded and installed, but then when I tried to compile it complained that it could not see object.d, so either the installer screwed up or I'm supposed to install the D libs separately. But I've not had change yet to test either hypothesis.
Did you install into something other than /usr? I see that the installer has an option to change the directory, but that won't actually work. The next release will be relocatable. David

Merry Christmas,

David

Matthew wrote:

[...]

 "come back" next year.

[...]

Ok. I've built and tested the current recls with the current STLSoft. I've also created a little Ruby script that'll retry the makefile and grab and place correctly any missing STLSoft file, so we only get what's needed for a Win32 build. (I'll have to do the same for a UNIX version.) But since Christmas is about to happen, it'll be sometime next week when I can post a new STLSoft 1.9 beta and a recls 1.7 beta.
As clay already mentioned, the gdcmac binary distribution
(http://gdcmac.sourceforge.net) is the best way to get GDC working on a
Mac.  If you have any questions about that or GDC on Linux, let me know.
I downloaded and installed, but then when I tried to compile it
complained
 that it could not see object.d, so either the installer screwed up or
I'm
 supposed to install the D libs separately. But I've not had change yet
 test either hypothesis.
Did you install into something other than /usr? I see that the installer has an option to change the directory, but that won't actually work. The next release will be relocatable.
I just clicked on all the defaults, and let it do its work, and then tried to compile a simple D file with a single print() statement. There is an object.d, in /usr/include/d/4.0.1/, but for whatever reason that's not being found. ??
Dec 23 2005
parent reply =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anders_F_Bj=F6rklund?= <afb algonet.se> writes:
Matthew wrote:

As clay already mentioned, the gdcmac binary distribution
(http://gdcmac.sourceforge.net) is the best way to get GDC working on a
Mac.  If you have any questions about that or GDC on Linux, let me know.
I downloaded and installed, but then when I tried to compile it complained that it could not see object.d, so either the installer screwed up or I'm supposed to install the D libs separately. But I've not had change yet to test either hypothesis.
Did you install into something other than /usr? I see that the installer has an option to change the directory, but that won't actually work. The next release will be relocatable.
Right, that option could have been a bit "premature" to add in... :-) It was mostly for the security-concerned, but the installer does nothing except install the files (visible in the "File List" too) And you shouldn't need to install anything but the GDC install, assuming that you already have Apple's Mac OS X and Xcode Tools.
 I just clicked on all the defaults, and let it do its work, and then tried
 to compile a simple D file with a single print() statement.

 There is an object.d, in /usr/include/d/4.0.1/, but for whatever reason
 that's not being found.

 ??
You did have Mac OS X 10.4.3 and Xcode 2.2 installed, right ? Just asking, since Xcode 2.0 and 2.1 used GCC 4.0.0 instead of 4.0.1... One can always compile GDC/GCC from scratch, if the binary doesn't work. http://home.earthlink.net/~dvdfrdmn/d/INSTALL.html --anders
Dec 24 2005
parent reply "Matthew" <matthew hat.stlsoft.dot.org> writes:
 And you shouldn't need to install anything but the GDC install,
 assuming that you already have Apple's Mac OS X and Xcode Tools.

 I just clicked on all the defaults, and let it do its work, and then
tried
 to compile a simple D file with a single print() statement.

 There is an object.d, in /usr/include/d/4.0.1/, but for whatever reason
 that's not being found.

 ??
You did have Mac OS X 10.4.3 and Xcode 2.2 installed, right ? Just asking, since Xcode 2.0 and 2.1 used GCC 4.0.0 instead of 4.0.1...
I confess I have no idea with OS I have, though I recall the vendor saying it was Tiger, so I just picked the most recent DGC from the site. I think I'll just try all three. (Although I also don't know how to uninstall on Mac <g>)
 One can always compile GDC/GCC from scratch, if the binary doesn't work.
 http://home.earthlink.net/~dvdfrdmn/d/INSTALL.html
It may come to that but if it does it's something that'll have to wait until Feb. ;-(
Dec 25 2005

It sounds like you have Tiger, but didn't meet the Xcode 2.2 requirement (it is necessary to upgrade the Xcode Tools, from the "bundled" version) You can download a DMG from: http://developer.apple.com/tools/download/
 I think I'll just try all three. (Although I also don't know how to
 uninstall on Mac <g>)
The Mac OS X "Installer.app" does not come with an Uninstall feature... But the list of the installed files can be viewed with: lsbom -s /Library/Receipts/GDC.pkg/Contents/Archive.bom --anders
Dec 27 2005
prev sibling parent reply "Matthew" <matthew hat.stlsoft.dot.org> writes:
David

I'm near to a release of recls 1.7 beta1 (& STLSoft 1.9 beta 2, on which it
depends).

Shall we continue this over on the D.gnu group, or here, or shall I email
you?

Cheers

Matthew

"David Friedman" <d3rdclsmail_a_ _t_earthlink_d_._t_net> wrote in message
news:doh372$1lpd$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Matthew,

 Can I bother you about something right before Christmas? :) I'm getting
 ready to put GDC on sourceforge. Due to SF's requirements for licenses,
 I do not believe I can include the Phobos modules that have the Synesis
 license.  I know the new version of recls has a BSD license and I plan
 to use that.  Would you be willing to relicense the std.loader and
 std.windows.registry modules as well?

 Thanks,

 David
Dec 26 2005
parent David Friedman <dvdfrdmn users.ess-eff.net> writes:
Matthew,

Please e-mail me (dvdfrdmn at users dot sf dot net)

David