digitalmars.D - Some things std.file lacks

reply jicman <jicman_member pathlink.com> writes:
I love the std.file library.  However, here are some functions with properties
of a file it lacks:

1. DateCreated property
2. DateLastAccessed property
3. DateLastModified property
4. DateCreated Property

These are all possible to get.  I shouldn't have to extern to C to be able to
get these or create my own libraries.  They should be part of std.file library.

Just a thought...

josé
Dec 22 2005
parent reply "Matthew" <matthew hat.stlsoft.dot.org> writes:
They're all part of recls.

(Alas, Walter's still unwilling to take the updates to recls that have
occured in the last 15+ months. But you can download it from
http://recls.org/. I'll be releasing a new version, with some newer features
like search progress early in the new year, with the recls/D mapping updated
accordingly.)

"jicman" <jicman_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:doer68$2rj0$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 I love the std.file library.  However, here are some functions with
properties
 of a file it lacks:

 1. DateCreated property
 2. DateLastAccessed property
 3. DateLastModified property
 4. DateCreated Property

 These are all possible to get.  I shouldn't have to extern to C to be able
 get these or create my own libraries.  They should be part of std.file
library.
 Just a thought...

 josé
Dec 22 2005
next sibling parent reply jicman <jicman_member pathlink.com> writes:
Thanks Matthew...

Gosh, if I only read the documentation, I would be one heck of a genious. :-)

Again, thanks.

Walter, ignore this post. :-)

Matthew says...
[...]

parent "Matthew" <matthew hat.stlsoft.dot.org> writes:
You're welcome.

Cheers

Matthew

"jicman" <jicman_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:dof153$12k$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Thanks Matthew...

 Gosh, if I only read the documentation, I would be one heck of a genious.
:-)
[...]

prev sibling parent reply Stewart Gordon <smjg_1998 yahoo.com> writes:
Matthew wrote:
 They're all part of recls.
<snip top of upside-down reply> They are operations pertaining to an individual file, not to the specific process of recursing through a directory structure to find a file. As such, they ought to be in std.file. I refer you back to "Simple Operations should be Simple". Stewart. -- My e-mail is valid but not my primary mailbox. Please keep replies on on the 'group where everyone may benefit.
Dec 26 2005
parent reply "Matthew" <matthew hat.stlsoft.dot.org> writes:
"Stewart Gordon" <smjg_1998 yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:dopbll$2vsg$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Matthew wrote:
 They're all part of recls.
<snip top of upside-down reply> They are operations pertaining to an individual file, not to the specific process of recursing through a directory structure to find a file. As such, they ought to be in std.file. I refer you back to "Simple Operations should be Simple".
What's with the unnecessary and off-point smart-arsery? Did you not get any nice Christmas presents? So you think those ops should be std.file? So do I. Well done. Aren't you a helpful little genius! But you see I was trying to help jicman to acheive his intent _right now_, given the current state of the libs, whereas your point is, ... hmmm, well I'm a little lost there. Perhaps you can enlighten us? Nice to see this NG's standard of wasted hot air is just as it was when I last lost the will to live here. Sheesh. See you all in 2007!
Dec 26 2005
next sibling parent reply John Reimer <terminal.node gmail.com> writes:
Shame on you, Matthew; you're tougher than that!

Some people seem to bear long grudges, I think, but I don't think it's
worth slam-dunk dropping the rest of us so soon, just because of that. :)

Anyway... if you find this newsgroup too annoying, which once in awhile
I certainly agree that it can be, just come on over to dsource.org now
and again to get your fill of D.  So far it's been great fun over there.
    There's some new and old projects that are just about bursting at
the seams with creativity and vitality.

Oh dear... I just posted upside down... darn it all!  I'm in trouble now!

-JJR

 Matthew wrote:
[...]
It's not a question of toughness, just one of resources. I have been juggling too many things for too long to the detriment of some, and I've just got no spare time for filtering out this peurile points-scoring that people, who may perhaps have more time, are wont to indulge in.
 Anyway... if you find this newsgroup too annoying, which once in awhile
 I certainly agree that it can be, just come on over to dsource.org now
 and again to get your fill of D.  So far it's been great fun over there.
     There's some new and old projects that are just about bursting at
 the seams with creativity and vitality.
I'll check it out when the time is ripe. Thanks
 Oh dear... I just posted upside down... darn it all!  I'm in trouble now!
Bugger! :-)
Dec 26 2005

 Matthew wrote:
 They're all part of recls.
<snip top of upside-down reply> They are operations pertaining to an individual file, not to the specific process of recursing through a directory structure to find a file. As such, they ought to be in std.file. I refer you back to "Simple Operations should be Simple".
What's with the unnecessary and off-point smart-arsery? Did you not get any nice Christmas presents? So you think those ops should be std.file? So do I. Well done. Aren't you a helpful little genius! But you see I was trying to help jicman to acheive his intent _right now_, given the current state of the libs, whereas your point is, ... hmmm, well I'm a little lost there. Perhaps you can enlighten us? Nice to see this NG's standard of wasted hot air is just as it was when I last lost the will to live here. Sheesh. See you all in 2007!
I suspect Stewart should take Ant's place on your blacklist ;) One thing is all the hot air, the other the ability to see through it. With 15 Cs below, I find it nice with some hot air :) And Matthew, I'm still awaiting my D book copy for review ;) Lars Ivar, keeping the heat with some nice logs, a pint of Carlsberg and elves.
Dec 26 2005

Matthew wrote:

They're all part of recls.
<snip top of upside-down reply> They are operations pertaining to an individual file, not to the specific process of recursing through a directory structure to find a file. As such, they ought to be in std.file. I refer you back to "Simple Operations should be Simple".
What's with the unnecessary and off-point smart-arsery? Did you not get any nice Christmas presents? So you think those ops should be std.file? So do I. Well done. Aren't you a helpful little genius! But you see I was trying to help jicman to acheive his intent _right now_, given the current state of the libs, whereas your point is, ... hmmm, well I'm a little lost there. Perhaps you can enlighten us? Nice to see this NG's standard of wasted hot air is just as it was when I last lost the will to live here. Sheesh. See you all in 2007!
So that is when we are going to see something hapening with DTL? Stewart maybe stated the obvious but by doing that contributed more than you did with this post.
Dec 26 2005
On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 07:01:46 +1100, Matthew <matthew hat.stlsoft.dot.org>
 Matthew wrote:
 They're all part of recls.
<snip top of upside-down reply> They are operations pertaining to an individual file, not to the specific process of recursing through a directory structure to find a file. As such, they ought to be in std.file. I refer you back to "Simple Operations should be Simple".
What's with the unnecessary and off-point smart-arsery? Did you not get any nice Christmas presents?
Sorry Matthew but I'm sure you're out-of-line. Before jumping up and down on somebody, learn their style etc... but you know all that already, so that's why I guess you are under some stress right now. I can't understand your rash, unnecessary, and off-point smart-arsery any other way.
 So you think those ops should be std.file? So do I. Well done. Aren't
 you a
 helpful little genius!
Well actually, Stewart is. When I read your reply, my first thought was along the lines "Hmmmm some more of Matthew's self promotion" - not that that bothers me, mind you.
 But you see I was trying to help jicman to acheive
 his intent _right now_, given the current state of the libs,
That wasn't very clear to me either, Matt. It came across as "sour grapes" that your recls is *still* not incorporated into DMD yet.
 whereas your
 point is, ... hmmm, well I'm a little lost there. Perhaps you can
 enlighten
 us?
Stewart tends to be 'to the point' and is not afraid to be bold. As he says "they ought to be in std.file". It wasn't personal and certainly not as hostile as you assumed.
 Nice to see this NG's standard of wasted hot air is just as it was when I
 last lost the will to live here.
This NG is a breath of fresh air compared to other forums. Stewart doesn't contribute to the wasted, nor hot, air here. I frequently disagree with his style but very rarely on its content.
 Sheesh. See you all in 2007!
Can you bother to lower yourself to the plebian level? -- Derek Melbourne, Australia
Dec 26 2005
parent Chris Lajoie <ctlajoie___remove___this___ ___gmail.com> writes:
Derek Parnell wrote:Matthew wrote:
 They're all part of recls.
 <snip top of upside-down reply>
 Sorry Matthew but I'm sure you're out-of-line. Before jumping up and
 down on somebody, learn their style etc... but you know all that
 already, so that's why I guess you are under some stress right now. I
 can't understand your rash, unnecessary, and off-point smart-arsery any
I believe Matthew was a little defensive when it appeared Stewart was ticked because Matt posted upside down. Please understand I am not defending Matthew on this, just pointing something out that you may have missed... Chris
Dec 26 2005
Matthew says...
 Matthew wrote:
 They're all part of recls.
<snip top of upside-down reply> They are operations pertaining to an individual file, not to the specific process of recursing through a directory structure to find a file. As such, they ought to be in std.file. I refer you back to "Simple Operations should be Simple".
What's with the unnecessary and off-point smart-arsery? Did you not get any nice Christmas presents? So you think those ops should be std.file? So do I. Well done. Aren't you a helpful little genius! But you see I was trying to help jicman to acheive his intent _right now_, given the current state of the libs, whereas your point is, ... hmmm, well I'm a little lost there. Perhaps you can enlighten us?
Matthew, I appreciated and appreciate the help. Thanks. :-)