digitalmars.D - Synax of array slices.

reply "Andrew Fedoniouk" <news terrainformatica.com> writes:
Hi, gentlemen,

I've implemented in my script engine (close to ECMAScript)
array slices (inspired by D, thanks).  While doing this I came up
with the idea of using four forms of slicing syntax:

a[s..e] // standard, 's' and 'e' are as in D
a[s..]   //  'e' will be substituted by a.length
a[..e]  //  's' will be substituted by 0
a[..]  //  ...

I am pretty sure this idea ($, a.length wars) was discussed already but
cannot find it.
Can you see any problems with this notation?
If there is no major issues then probably makes sense  to consider it in D?

Andrew Fedoniouk.
http://terrainformatica.com

PS. TIScript lives on http://terrainformatica.com/tiscript/
Nov 28 2005
parent reply Derek Parnell <derek psych.ward> writes:
 I've implemented in my script engine (close to ECMAScript)
 array slices (inspired by D, thanks).  While doing this I came up
 with the idea of using four forms of slicing syntax:

 a[s..e] // standard, 's' and 'e' are as in D
 a[s..]   //  'e' will be substituted by a.length
 a[..e]  //  's' will be substituted by 0
 a[..]  //  ...

 I am pretty sure this idea ($, a.length wars) was discussed already but
 cannot find it.
 Can you see any problems with this notation?
 If there is no major issues then probably makes sense  to consider it in D?
The double dots without a context can be harder to see than when they have a context. How is the idiom $-n meant to be shown? A incorrectly missing identifier is harder to detect as a mistake. -- Derek (skype: derek.j.parnell) Melbourne, Australia 29/11/2005 11:39:08 AM
Nov 28 2005
next sibling parent reply "Andrew Fedoniouk" <news terrainformatica.com> writes:
 a[s..e] // standard, 's' and 'e' are as in D
 a[s..]   //  'e' will be substituted by a.length
 a[..e]  //  's' will be substituted by 0
 a[..]  //  ...

 Can you see any problems with this notation?
The double dots without a context can be harder to see than when they have a context. How is the idiom $-n meant to be shown?
I am assuming that the most frequent use case is sort of a[n..] ( a[n..a.length] ) I beleive that in cases when you need a[ 0 .. $-n ] a[ 0 .. a.length - n ] will look better.
 A incorrectly missing identifier is harder to detect as a mistake.
In complex cases $ is also not good too I beleive: a[0..lastNonWS($)] - will it work or not, btw? a[0..b[0..$].length] - what was ciphered here?
Nov 28 2005
parent reply Derek Parnell <derek psych.ward> writes:
 a[s..e] // standard, 's' and 'e' are as in D
 a[s..]   //  'e' will be substituted by a.length
 a[..e]  //  's' will be substituted by 0
 a[..]  //  ...

 Can you see any problems with this notation?
The double dots without a context can be harder to see than when they have a context. How is the idiom $-n meant to be shown?
I am assuming that the most frequent use case is sort of a[n..] ( a[n..a.length] ) I beleive that in cases when you need a[ 0 .. $-n ] a[ 0 .. a.length - n ] will look better.
 A incorrectly missing identifier is harder to detect as a mistake.
In complex cases $ is also not good too I beleive:
And I believe the opposite ;-)
 a[0..lastNonWS($)] - will it work or not, btw?
No it will not work because '$' its innermost scope is not a slice.
 a[0..b[0..$].length] - what was ciphered here?
The innermost scope of the '$' is the slice of the array 'b'. Therefore a slice of 'b' is taken from 0 to $ and then this length is used in the slice of 'a'. As you can see, this example uses a redundant format as a[0 .. b.length] would be sufficient. However a better example might have been ... a[m..b[n..$].length] which is alternatively written a[m..b[n..b.length].length] If we use more typical identifier names ... vCustomers[lStartPos..Sort.Bias[lUserChoice..Sort.Bias.length].length] and we start to see dots before our eyes ;-) Whereas vCustomers[lStartPos..Sort.Bias[lUserChoice..$].length] is reduced clutter, IMHO. -- Derek (skype: derek.j.parnell) Melbourne, Australia 29/11/2005 11:55:39 AM
Nov 28 2005
next sibling parent Hasan Aljudy <hasan.aljudy gmail.com> writes:
Derek Parnell wrote:
[...]

IMHO this corner case doesn't really show much, because if you ask me, no one should code like that!! Wether you use $ or .length here doesn't make much differentce, it's confusing either way.
Nov 28 2005
prev sibling parent reply Bruno Medeiros <daiphoenixNO SPAMlycos.com> writes:
Derek Parnell wrote:

a[0..lastNonWS($)] - will it work or not, btw?
No it will not work because '$' its innermost scope is not a slice.
It works here. lastNonWS is just a regular function, right? -- Bruno Medeiros - CS/E student "Certain aspects of D are a pathway to many abilities some consider to be... unnatural."
Nov 29 2005