digitalmars.D - Dynamic array syntax proposal

reply =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jari-Matti_M=E4kel=E4?= <jmjmak invalid_utu.fi> writes:
Would it be possible to support this syntax:

int[][] a;
a.length = y, x;

It would be equivalent with the following piece of code:

int[][] a;
a.length = y;
foreach(inout int[] row; a) row.length = x;

I really don't understand why this comma-syntax is legal now that the
latter parameters simply seem to vanish. Setting the array length should
take only one parameter or as an alternative support this proposed syntax.
Nov 02 2005
next sibling parent reply "Lionello Lunesu" <lio remove.lunesu.com> writes:
The comma-syntax is legal because the comma in D behaves just like the
'operator ,' in C/C++: all the expressions are executed and the (return)
value is the value of the last expression. Silly example follows:

/* comma example */
import std.stdio;

int two() { writef("two"); return 2; }
/* two() is executed, but 3 is returned */
int three() { return two(),3; }

void main() { writef( three() ); }

Output:
two3

<OT>
I would love, however, a python-like tuple syntax, which would open the door
to code similar to what you've written. Or maybe a generalization of the
current property principle would be enough: a method set_length(int) can
already be invoked with set_length = x. Add a 'method' length(int,int) to
two dimensional arrays and change the meaning of the comma. This would allow
array.length = x,y!

Combine this with another generalization, namely treating return values as
implicit "out" parameters, so that get_length(out int, out int) could be
used as x, y = get_length and the tuples are done ;-)
</OT>

L.
Nov 02 2005
next sibling parent reply Don Clugston <dac nospam.com.au> writes:
Lionello Lunesu wrote:
 The comma-syntax is legal because the comma in D behaves just like the
 'operator ,' in C/C++: all the expressions are executed and the (return)
 value is the value of the last expression. Silly example follows:
IMHO, nearly all uses of the return value of the comma operator are silly. In fact, I'm sure that I have never seen a sensible example. The only good use for it that I have seen is by overloading the comma operator -- for emulating tuples! I'm really surprised that Walter included the comma operator in D. Probably, if was forbidden except in the last part of for() statements, nobody would notice it was gone. IE change syntax of for() to: for(declarations; boolexpression; expr[, expr [,expr ] ]) and forbid comma everywhere else, freeing it up for something more useful (like tuples). Maybe someone else has a different experience?

next sibling parent "Lionello Lunesu" <lio remove.lunesu.com> writes:
 Maybe someone else has a different experience?
Nope, same here. The comma must be one of the reason obfuscated code contests work so well in C/C++... I see no other reason for it besides (unreadably) short code. We might have freed up a usable token just now! Instead of the usual "what token can we use instead of <X>"-discussions, we can discuss the opposite: "what can we do with , !" L.
Nov 02 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Ivan Senji <ivan.senji_REMOVE_ _THIS__gmail.com> writes:
Don Clugston wrote:
 Maybe someone else has a different experience?
Actually i use , sometimes, it can be usefull, example: while(i=readInt(), i!=0) { }
Nov 02 2005
parent reply Derek Parnell <derek psych.ward> writes:
 Maybe someone else has a different experience?
Actually i use , sometimes, it can be usefull, example: while(i=readInt(), i!=0) { }
Another way for doing this idiom is while( (i=readInt()) != 0) {} However, I always thought that the comma operator was the used to guarantee the order of execution of a set of statements. Statements in a block may be reordered by the compiler so long as the effect is the same but a comma-separated list of statements is never reordered. Is this true or was I dreaming? -- Derek Parnell Melbourne, Australia 3/11/2005 6:52:35 AM
Nov 02 2005
parent Ivan Senji <ivan.senji_REMOVE_ _THIS__gmail.com> writes:
Derek Parnell wrote:
Maybe someone else has a different experience?
Actually i use , sometimes, it can be usefull, example: while(i=readInt(), i!=0) { }
Another way for doing this idiom is while( (i=readInt()) != 0) {} However, I always thought that the comma operator was the used to guarantee the order of execution of a set of statements. Statements in a block may be reordered by the compiler so long as the effect is the same but a comma-separated list of statements is never reordered. Is this true or was I dreaming?
Really? I have never heard of it. And if it was a dream then it was a really strange dream :)
Nov 02 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent BCS <BCS_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <dkan0c$2vgm$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Don Clugston says...

..
IE change syntax of for() to:
for(declarations; boolexpression; expr[, expr [,expr ] ])
..
Maybe someone else has a different experience?
how about: for(decls [, decls [, decls ] ]; boolexpression; expr[, expr[, expr ] ])
Nov 02 2005
prev sibling parent Georg Wrede <georg.wrede nospam.org> writes:
Don Clugston wrote:
 Lionello Lunesu wrote:

[...]
I think this sounds both reasonable and potentially quite useful.
 Or maybe a generalization of the current property principle would
 be enough: a method set_length(int) can already be invoked with
 set_length = x. Add a 'method' length(int,int) to two dimensional
 arrays and change the meaning of the comma. This would allow
 array.length = x,y!

 Combine this with another generalization, namely treating return
 values as implicit "out" parameters, so that get_length(out int,
 out int) could be used as x, y = get_length and the tuples are done
Hmm. Possibly this would not bee so hard to implement. And it would give some more flexibility to usage, exatly the same way as set_length(int) can now be used as set_length = x. However, this kind of syntactic sugar tends to do its utmost to create hurdles for those just learning the language. Which would be a step in C direction. So we need proper use cases before any decision can be made.
Nov 02 2005
prev sibling parent reply =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jari-Matti_M=E4kel=E4?= <jmjmak invalid_utu.fi> writes:
Lionello Lunesu wrote:
 The comma-syntax is legal because the comma in D behaves just like the
 'operator ,' in C/C++: all the expressions are executed and the (return)
 value is the value of the last expression. Silly example follows:

 /* comma example */
 import std.stdio;

 int two() { writef("two"); return 2; }
 /* two() is executed, but 3 is returned */
 int three() { return two(),3; }

 void main() { writef( three() ); }

 Output:
 two3
Ok, it works - for some reason I've never though of this possibility with expressions before :) Still I don't find it that useful. These two lines are equivalent: int three() { return two(),3; } int three() { two(); return 3; } One another example: int b = (a.length = 1, two(), 3); a.length = 1; two(); int b = 3; But it's nice to have multiple expressions in for/while-loops: for(a=0; a<10; a++, i--) { ... } I think Walter has put this comma-syntax on too high a level in the grammar. Now it's not possible to initialize multiple array levels conveniently.

 <OT>
 I would love, however, a python-like tuple syntax, which would open the door
 to code similar to what you've written. Or maybe a generalization of the
 current property principle would be enough: a method set_length(int) can
 already be invoked with set_length = x. Add a 'method' length(int,int) to
 two dimensional arrays and change the meaning of the comma. This would allow
 array.length = x,y!
IMO it should be set_length(int[]). It's always boring to initialize the arrays with multiple for/foreach-statements.

 Combine this with another generalization, namely treating return values as
 implicit "out" parameters, so that get_length(out int, out int) could be
 used as x, y = get_length and the tuples are done ;-)
 </OT>
This sounds very practical. You could also use default return values easily with such a syntax.