digitalmars.D - Optimizing switches

reply MicroWizard <MicroWizard_member pathlink.com> writes:
What is the state of release/optimized compilation?

I try periodically to compile my running D projects with
optimization switched on and the compiler always breaks
with internal errors (cgcod.c ... etc) which are already
reported as I well remember.

Without -O the D compiler works smoothly since roughly
version 0.80.

For me optimization is not a big issue yet. I would
oly like to see a 'almost bug-free' compiler.

Any news?

Tamás Nagy
Oct 28 2005
parent reply Tiago Gasiba <tiago.gasiba gmail.com> writes:
MicroWizard schrieb:

 For me optimization is not a big issue yet. I would
 oly like to see a 'almost bug-free' compiler.

 Any news?

 Tamás Nagy
Please take a look at the thread "Code Optimization" under the same group, i.e. digitalmars.D - it might be helpfull and give you some answers. If you have found a bug, please write some small code that reproduces it and post it on digitalmars.D.bugs Best, Tiago -- Tiago Gasiba (M.Sc.) - http://www.gasiba.de Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.
Oct 28 2005
parent reply MicroWizard <MicroWizard_member pathlink.com> writes:
Thanks for the very fast answer, but I'm not so new in this forum ;-)

If these errors could be so easily reproduce, I would have sent reports already.
But the error code I got was already reported by someone else.

The question is still open.

Tamás

Please take a look at the thread "Code Optimization" under the same group, i.e.
digitalmars.D - it might be helpfull and give you some answers.
If you have found a bug, please write some small code that reproduces it and
post it on digitalmars.D.bugs

Best,
Tiago
Oct 28 2005
parent reply "Walter Bright" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
"MicroWizard" <MicroWizard_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:djsq82$18cp$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Thanks for the very fast answer, but I'm not so new in this forum ;-)

 If these errors could be so easily reproduce, I would have sent reports
already.
 But the error code I got was already reported by someone else.

 The question is still open.
I can't fix a problem for which I don't have a code example that will reproduce it. I think all the reported internal errors that came with reproducible examples have been fixed, if I missed one, please let me know.
Oct 28 2005
next sibling parent reply =?iso-8859-1?q?Knud_S=F8rensen?= <12tkvvb02 sneakemail.com> writes:
 "MicroWizard" <MicroWizard_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
 news:djsq82$18cp$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Thanks for the very fast answer, but I'm not so new in this forum ;-)

 If these errors could be so easily reproduce, I would have sent reports
already.
 But the error code I got was already reported by someone else.

 The question is still open.
I can't fix a problem for which I don't have a code example that will reproduce it. I think all the reported internal errors that came with reproducible examples have been fixed, if I missed one, please let me know.
Walter do you have any idea what you test coverage is for the compiler ? Thats how I find out about code problems which isn't tested.
Oct 29 2005
parent reply "Walter Bright" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
"Knud Sřrensen" <12tkvvb02 sneakemail.com> wrote in message
news:pan.2005.10.29.08.02.46.857818 sneakemail.com...
 I can't fix a problem for which I don't have a code example that will
 reproduce it. I think all the reported internal errors that came with
 reproducible examples have been fixed, if I missed one, please let me
know.
 Walter do you have any idea what you test coverage is for the compiler ?
 Thats how I find out about code problems which isn't tested.
It wouldn't be hard to write a code coverage analyzer for D, which would tell you which lines of code were executed and which weren't by the test suite. I agree that such a tool would substantially improve the testing. But that in itself isn't good enough to ensure no bugs. What I do is add every bug report to the test suite. Over time, this adds up to a killer test suite. The C/C++ one, for example, has 20+ years of bug reports folded into it. Having it gives me pretty good confidence that I can upgrade the compiler without breaking things.
Oct 29 2005
parent =?iso-8859-1?q?Knud_S=F8rensen?= <12tkvvb02 sneakemail.com> writes:
 "Knud Sřrensen" <12tkvvb02 sneakemail.com> wrote in message
 news:pan.2005.10.29.08.02.46.857818 sneakemail.com...
 I can't fix a problem for which I don't have a code example that will
 reproduce it. I think all the reported internal errors that came with
 reproducible examples have been fixed, if I missed one, please let me
know.
 Walter do you have any idea what you test coverage is for the compiler ?
 Thats how I find out about code problems which isn't tested.
It wouldn't be hard to write a code coverage analyzer for D, which would tell you which lines of code were executed and which weren't by the test suite. I agree that such a tool would substantially improve the testing.
Yes, this is one of the tools missing for D, but I were not talking of test coverage for D code.
 But that in itself isn't good enough to ensure no bugs.

I know, but if some code is not tested it might fail after a update without your knowing. Also almost 100% test-covered code forces you to write testable code.
 What I do is add every bug report to the test suite. Over time, this adds up
 to a killer test suite. The C/C++ one, for example, has 20+ years of bug
 reports folded into it. Having it gives me pretty good confidence that I can
 upgrade the compiler without breaking things.
What I were wondering about is if you have run test coverage on the compiler using one of the c/c++ coverage tools.
Oct 30 2005
prev sibling parent MicroWizard <MicroWizard_member pathlink.com> writes:
OK. The bug still exists. (Internal error: ..\ztc\cgcod.c 1489)

I'll dig to the root and will post the result.

Tamas

I can't fix a problem for which I don't have a code example that will
reproduce it. I think all the reported internal errors that came with
reproducible examples have been fixed, if I missed one, please let me know.
Oct 31 2005