digitalmars.D - string hashing

reply "John C" <johnch_atms hotmail.com> writes:
I needed a way to hash a string, and found that the TypeInfo classes have a
getHash() function. However, calling the function results in an access
violation being thrown. This seems to happen for all types, not just
strings.

    char[] name = "Jack";
    uint nameHash = typeid(char[]).getHash(name); // throws here

It's worrying that the built in method doesn't work. If it's not meant to be
accessed by user code, it should be private. Otherwise, shouldn't it be
fixed? It would be good to use in generic code such as templates.

John.
Aug 24 2005
parent reply "John C" <johnch_atms hotmail.com> writes:
Ah, the getHash() function works if I pass it the address of an object. This
seems inconsistent with the way things are generally expressed in D. Perhaps
Phobos should have a template that makes hashing for non-object types less
error-prone.

    template toHash(T) {
        uint toHash(T value) { return typeid(T).getHash(&value); }
    }

"John C" <johnch_atms hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:dej22p$1dih$1 digitaldaemon.com...
I needed a way to hash a string, and found that the TypeInfo classes have a
getHash() function. However, calling the function results in an access
violation being thrown. This seems to happen for all types, not just
strings.

    char[] name = "Jack";
    uint nameHash = typeid(char[]).getHash(name); // throws here

 It's worrying that the built in method doesn't work. If it's not meant to
 be accessed by user code, it should be private. Otherwise, shouldn't it be
 fixed? It would be good to use in generic code such as templates.

 John.

Aug 24 2005
"John C" <johnch_atms hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:dej2ne$1e4s$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Ah, the getHash() function works if I pass it the address of an object.
This
 seems inconsistent with the way things are generally expressed in D.
Perhaps
 Phobos should have a template that makes hashing for non-object types less
 error-prone.

     template toHash(T) {
         uint toHash(T value) { return typeid(T).getHash(&value); }
     }
It's that way because then it works completely generically without using templates (makes for more compact code). Your template solution on top of it is good.
Aug 24 2005