digitalmars.D - How to convert a template parameter into a string?

reply Chuck.Esterbrook /at/ gmail /dot/ com <Chuck.Esterbrook_member pathlink.com> writes:
Suppose I have a class template like so:

I thought about using .toString() but that does not work if A and B are
primitive types like int.

Any suggestions? Is there already a nifty library around along the lines of:

-Chuck
Aug 15 2005
next sibling parent reply Victor Nakoryakov <nail-mail mail.ru> writes:
Chuck.Esterbrook /at/ gmail /dot/ com wrote:
 Suppose I have a class template like so:

 I thought about using .toString() but that does not work if A and B are
 primitive types like int.

You can use .toString() even for primitive types. Just define function: char[] toString(int x) { ... } after that you can write int myint = 65; char[] str = myint.toString(); BTW: toSting()'s of basic types are already implemented in std.string. So you should do following: import std.string; alias toString std.string.toString(); <your magic here> to get expected result.
 Any suggestions? Is there already a nifty library around along the lines of:

 -Chuck

-- Victor (aka nail) Nakoryakov nail-mail<at>mail<dot>ru Krasnoznamensk, Moscow, Russia
Aug 15 2005
parent reply "Ben Hinkle" <bhinkle mathworks.com> writes:
"Victor Nakoryakov" <nail-mail mail.ru> wrote in message
news:ddpt88$nts$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Chuck.Esterbrook /at/ gmail /dot/ com wrote:
 Suppose I have a class template like so:

 I thought about using .toString() but that does not work if A and B are
 primitive types like int.
You can use .toString() even for primitive types. Just define function: char[] toString(int x) { ... } after that you can write int myint = 65; char[] str = myint.toString();
I couldn't get this to work. Plus I'd actually consider it a compiler bug if it did work.
 BTW: toSting()'s of basic types are already implemented in std.string. So
 you should do following:

 import std.string;
 alias toString std.string.toString();

 <your magic here>

 to get expected result.

 Any suggestions? Is there already a nifty library around along the lines
 of:

There isn't any template that will work for arbitrary types. For classes Object.toString is the most generic hook. For a struct I'd define a toString method. Otherwise you'll have to use overloading like in std.string.
Aug 15 2005
Ben Hinkle wrote:
 "Victor Nakoryakov" <nail-mail mail.ru> wrote in message
 news:ddpt88$nts$1 digitaldaemon.com...

Chuck.Esterbrook /at/ gmail /dot/ com wrote:

Suppose I have a class template like so:

I thought about using .toString() but that does not work if A and B are
primitive types like int.
You can use .toString() even for primitive types. Just define function: char[] toString(int x) { ... } after that you can write int myint = 65; char[] str = myint.toString();
I couldn't get this to work. Plus I'd actually consider it a compiler bug if it did work.
Hmm... Really, it does not compile :) I'm sorry for unchecked sample. I thought I used such constructions many many times but in practice this was functions for char[]. Plus I'm consider this would _not_ a bug if compiler would accept this. In this case the one thing that came up into my mind is to use: static if (is(A == int) || is(A == uint) || [basic types]) { writefln(std.string.toString(a)); } else { writefln(a.toString); } It was just draft. In practice code can be simplified to look more esthetically. -- Victor (aka nail) Nakoryakov nail-mail<at>mail<dot>ru Krasnoznamensk, Moscow, Russia
Aug 15 2005
parent reply Chuck.Esterbrook /at/ gmail /dot/ com <Chuck.Esterbrook_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <ddq7t3$10vk$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Victor Nakoryakov says...
[snip]
In this case the one thing that came up into my mind is to use:

static if (is(A == int) || is(A == uint) || [basic types])
{
	writefln(std.string.toString(a));
}
else
{
	writefln(a.toString);
}

It was just draft. In practice code can be simplified to look more
esthetically.
It looks like the only toString() overload missing in std.string is one for object. So if we added: It seems to me that templates could then simply say: and they would work for both primitives and objects. Right? -Chuck
Aug 15 2005
parent Victor Nakoryakov <nail-mail mail.ru> writes:
Chuck.Esterbrook /at/ gmail /dot/ com wrote:

 It seems to me that templates could then simply say:

 and they would work for both primitives and objects. Right?

As one of variants. -- Victor (aka nail) Nakoryakov nail-mail<at>mail<dot>ru Krasnoznamensk, Moscow, Russia
Aug 15 2005
prev sibling parent Chris Sauls <ibisbasenji gmail.com> writes:
Chuck.Esterbrook /at/ gmail /dot/ com wrote:
 Suppose I have a class template like so:

 I thought about using .toString() but that does not work if A and B are
 primitive types like int.

 Any suggestions? Is there already a nifty library around along the lines of:
Can std.string.format() be used for this? Something like: -- Chris Sauls
Aug 15 2005