digitalmars.D - [Suggestion] The 'As' Operator

reply AJG <AJG_member pathlink.com> writes:

It's essentially a more aesthetic way to make a cast, but if incorporated into
D, it could be made different. For example:

You've got to admit it's a much cleaner syntax.

null on failure. Whereas a direct cast would throw InvalidCast. I think this is
a useful distinction, because it's therefore a condensed version of something
like:

(Foo is Bar ? (cast (Bar) Foo) : (cast (Bar) null));

Cheers,
--AJG.
Jul 05 2005
next sibling parent reply Chris Sauls <ibisbasenji gmail.com> writes:
AJG wrote:

I think it was inherited from VisualBasic. Could be wrong.

 You've got to admit it's a much cleaner syntax.
Admittedly, it is. Kind of pretty, in fact.

 null on failure. Whereas a direct cast would throw InvalidCast. I think this is
 a useful distinction, because it's therefore a condensed version of something
 like:

 (Foo is Bar ? (cast (Bar) Foo) : (cast (Bar) null));
In D the cast() operation currently returns null if it fails with objects. So it already behaves just like your 'as' expression. Maybe in D the 'as' expression (if it existed) would be the one to throw an exception on failure... so that doing: Would be semantically equivelant to: Or something like that. -- Chris Sauls
Jul 05 2005
parent reply "Jarrett Billingsley" <kb3ctd2 yahoo.com> writes:
"Chris Sauls" <ibisbasenji gmail.com> wrote in message
news:dafsqi$1k9a$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 In D the cast() operation currently returns null if it fails with objects.
 So it already behaves just like your 'as' expression.  Maybe in D the 'as'
 expression (if it existed) would be the one to throw an exception on
 failure... so that doing:
as switched! I _do_ like the "as" syntax.
Jul 06 2005
parent Stefan Zobel <Stefan_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <dagv0m$2fd9$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Jarrett Billingsley says...
"Chris Sauls" <ibisbasenji gmail.com> wrote in message
news:dafsqi$1k9a$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 In D the cast() operation currently returns null if it fails with objects.
 So it already behaves just like your 'as' expression.  Maybe in D the 'as'
 expression (if it existed) would be the one to throw an exception on
 failure... so that doing:
as switched! I _do_ like the "as" syntax.
It wasn't hard to switch to cast(). While I also like the "as" syntax, my proposition is to leave it as it is. There are simply more important things to be done (e.g. that whole const/immutable thing) ... Just my 2 c, Stefan
Jul 06 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent "Lionello Lunesu" <lio lunesu.removethis.com> writes:
Needless to say, it has been suggested before, and it's still a good idea.

L.
Jul 05 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent reply clayasaurus <clayasaurus gmail.com> writes:
AJG wrote:

 It's essentially a more aesthetic way to make a cast, but if incorporated into
 D, it could be made different. For example:

 You've got to admit it's a much cleaner syntax.

 null on failure. Whereas a direct cast would throw InvalidCast. I think this is
 a useful distinction, because it's therefore a condensed version of something
 like:

 (Foo is Bar ? (cast (Bar) Foo) : (cast (Bar) null));

 Cheers,
 --AJG.

It may look better, but it doesn't stick out as much as 'cast' does. Also, when you do a search for 'as' you will get more than just instances of the keyword 'as'
Jul 06 2005
parent reply Deewiant <deewiant.doesnotlike.spam gmail.com> writes:
AJG wrote:

Definitely sweeter looking than 'cast', but not exactly an essential addition, since it can easily be duplicated with normal casting. I wouldn't mind it and probably would even use it, but I won't miss it if it isn't implemented. clayasaurus wrote:
 Also, when you do a search for 'as' you will get more than just
 instances of the keyword 'as'
Which is why you should search for 'as' surrounded by whitespace. The Perl-compatible regexp /\s+as\s+/ should do the trick. Plaintext searching can get a bit trickier (say, if somebody's decided to break the line right before the 'as', and then uses tabs for indentation), but in most cases ' as ' works. It's how I always search for keywords :-)
Jul 06 2005
Deewiant wrote:
 AJG wrote:

Definitely sweeter looking than 'cast', but not exactly an essential addition, since it can easily be duplicated with normal casting. I wouldn't mind it and probably would even use it, but I won't miss it if it isn't implemented. clayasaurus wrote:
Also, when you do a search for 'as' you will get more than just
instances of the keyword 'as'
Which is why you should search for 'as' surrounded by whitespace. The Perl-compatible regexp /\s+as\s+/ should do the trick. Plaintext searching can get a bit trickier (say, if somebody's decided to break the line right before the 'as', and then uses tabs for indentation), but in most cases ' as ' works. It's how I always search for keywords :-)
But it will still pick up... void set(int) // set class bob as an int :-P whereas with cast you can search for 'cast('
clayasaurus wrote:
 Deewiant wrote:
 clayasaurus wrote:

 Also, when you do a search for 'as' you will get more than just
 instances of the keyword 'as'
Which is why you should search for 'as' surrounded by whitespace. The Perl-compatible regexp /\s+as\s+/ should do the trick. Plaintext searching can get a bit trickier (say, if somebody's decided to break the line right before the 'as', and then uses tabs for indentation), but in most cases ' as ' works. It's how I always search for keywords :-)
But it will still pick up... void set(int) // set class bob as an int :-P whereas with cast you can search for 'cast('
Which will still pick up... foo = bar; // here I don't need to use cast(baz)bar because... ;-)
Jul 06 2005
Deewiant wrote:
 clayasaurus wrote:

Deewiant wrote:

clayasaurus wrote:

Also, when you do a search for 'as' you will get more than just
instances of the keyword 'as'
Which is why you should search for 'as' surrounded by whitespace. The Perl-compatible regexp /\s+as\s+/ should do the trick. Plaintext searching can get a bit trickier (say, if somebody's decided to break the line right before the 'as', and then uses tabs for indentation), but in most cases ' as ' works. It's how I always search for keywords :-)
But it will still pick up... void set(int) // set class bob as an int :-P whereas with cast you can search for 'cast('
Which will still pick up... foo = bar; // here I don't need to use cast(baz)bar because... ;-)
If you know what type you are looking for. It will take a while to search int = float, bar = foo, char = ubyte, etc. With cast, you just search for 'cast(' and collect them all. IMO, cast() sticks out like a sore thumb, as it should. It's the reason why C style casting was depreciated... int bob = (int)floatnum; It is harder to find this type of cast in the code, I assume 'as' would be a little easier to find than (int), but cast() is uglier and easier to find. Should cast's in D blend nicely with the code and be easy to program? I don't think we want to encourage casting, do we?
Jul 06 2005
"clayasaurus" <clayasaurus gmail.com> wrote in message
news:dahij9$2v2b$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 If you know what type you are looking for. It will take a while to
 search int = float, bar = foo, char = ubyte, etc. With cast, you just
 search for 'cast(' and collect them all.

 IMO, cast() sticks out like a sore thumb, as it should. It's the reason
 why C style casting was depreciated...

 int bob = (int)floatnum;

 It is harder to find this type of cast in the code, I assume 'as' would
 be a little easier to find than (int), but cast() is uglier and easier
 to find.

 Should cast's in D blend nicely with the code and be easy to program? I
 don't think we want to encourage casting, do we?
You're right. D's cast syntax was deliberately chosen to make it stand out. There's a school of thought that says that a cast is indicative either of poor program design or poor language design. But since D is meant to be a practical language, sometimes it's more practical to cast than redesign the whole program! Nevertheless, since casts are a blunt instrument, they should be used with caution and merit attention in a serious code review. Hence the standout syntax.
Jul 07 2005
parent reply AJG <AJG_member pathlink.com> writes:
Hi,

[...]

This is a very good point, and I suppose it's a good thing that it does that. However, what about using 'as' for the cases where the cast is less "blunt," like a cast-down? Those aren't always bad design. Maybe for unsigned/signed casts? // Some examples: class Foo {} class Bar : Foo {} class Bob {} Bar bar = new Foo as Bar; // OK. Bar bar = new Bob as Bar; // Wrong. // or: long l = 1; string s = "1"; int i = l as int; // OK. int i = s as int; // Wrong. Cheers, --AJG.
Jul 07 2005
"AJG" <AJG_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:dal5ps$2fcm$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 This is a very good point, and I suppose it's a good thing that it does
that.
 However, what about using 'as' for the cases where the cast is less
"blunt,"
 like a cast-down? Those aren't always bad design. Maybe for
unsigned/signed
 casts?

 // Some examples:
 class Foo {}
 class Bar : Foo {}
 class Bob {}
 Bar bar = new Foo as Bar; // OK.
 Bar bar = new Bob as Bar; // Wrong.

 // or:
 long l = 1;
 string s = "1";
 int i = l as int; // OK.
 int i = s as int; // Wrong.
I just don't see that it adds much over the current cast syntax. Furthermore, there are potential parsing problems as in: s as int**p; Does that parse as (s as int*)*p or (s as int)*(*p) ?
Jul 09 2005
parent Eugene Pelekhay <pelekhay gmail.com> writes:
Walter wrote:
[...]

Compare next (cast(Interface3)(cast(Interface2)(cast(Interface1)obj).getObjWithInterface2()).getObjWithInterface3()).func(); and (((obj as Interface1).getObjWithInterface2() as Interface2).getObjWithInterface3() as Interface3).func(); or obj.as(Interface1).getObjWithInterface2().as(Interface2).getObjWithInterface3().as(Interface3).func(); IMHO last form is little bit easier to read for human eyes
 Furthermore, there are potential parsing problems as in:

     s as int**p;

 Does that parse as (s as int*)*p or (s as int)*(*p) ?

Jul 11 2005
prev sibling parent "Craig Black" <cblack ara.com> writes:
I like "as" also.  Probably will not get into D though.

-Craig
Jul 07 2005