digitalmars.D - Vote: Walter's time is finite and there are more important features than "immutable" data

reply "Craig Black" <cblack ara.com> writes:
I'm not saying immutable stuff isn't useful.  I use const all the time in
C++, and it works for me.  But this feature is way low on my priority list.
Anyone agree?

-Craig
Jul 01 2005
next sibling parent reply "Uwe Salomon" <post uwesalomon.de> writes:
 I'm not saying immutable stuff isn't useful.  I use const all the time in
 C++, and it works for me.  But this feature is way low on my priority
 list.
 Anyone agree?
Yes. I agree. I like the solution proposed by Walter, and one of the reasons for that is that it can be included later without much change in our sources, and does not need to be done today, when we still have some internal errors and bugs poking 'round. Ciao uwe
Jul 01 2005
parent Nick <Nick_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <op.ss8md5pz6yjbe6 sandmann.maerchenwald.net>, Uwe Salomon says...
 I'm not saying immutable stuff isn't useful.  I use const all the time in
 C++, and it works for me.  But this feature is way low on my priority
 list.
 Anyone agree?
Yes. I agree. I like the solution proposed by Walter, and one of the reasons for that is that it can be included later without much change in our sources, and does not need to be done today, when we still have some internal errors and bugs poking 'round.
I vote "I don't care, as long as it's not done now." :) Adding more features only gives more bugs to fix. I think DMD needs a feature freeze now, to fix the bugs that already exist and to get out of it's current "beta" stage, more than anything. Nick
Jul 01 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent Brad Beveridge <brad somewhere.net> writes:
Craig Black wrote:
 I'm not saying immutable stuff isn't useful.  I use const all the time in
 C++, and it works for me.  But this feature is way low on my priority list.
 Anyone agree?

 -Craig

To be honest, I really don't mind what Walter works on - after all it is his baby. What I do find annoying is when we get a very long and interesting thread (in which the participants know what they are on about), and that thread exposes lots of good ideas, and then the thread dies with the phrase "I wonder what Walter thinks about all this". In cases when a thread gets to that stage I think that it would be nice for Walter to write a few words, even if it is just "Guys, I'm thinking about this, but don't know what to do. Keep talking we might get somewhere" So, with the whole voting thing I think that I was trying to get Walter to say _something_ :) Which in this case he did. We now know that Walter is a) Aware of the issue of immutablilty/constness, etc b) Actively thinking about it & talking about it with people off list c) Still trying to work out the details. Which means that we can now probably sigh with relief that our concerns aren't falling on deaf ears. Sorry, that was longer than I intended. Cheers Brad
Jul 01 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent Victor Nakoryakov <nail-mail mail.ru> writes:
Craig Black wrote:
 I'm not saying immutable stuff isn't useful.  I use const all the time in
 C++, and it works for me.  But this feature is way low on my priority list.
 Anyone agree?

 -Craig

Agree, there are more important things. -- Victor (aka nail) Nakoryakov nail-mail<at>mail<dot>ru Krasnoznamensk, Moscow, Russia
Jul 01 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent "Unknown W. Brackets" <unknown simplemachines.org> writes:
Agreed.

-[Unknown]

 I'm not saying immutable stuff isn't useful.  I use const all the time in
 C++, and it works for me.  But this feature is way low on my priority list.
 Anyone agree?

 -Craig

Jul 01 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent John Demme <me teqdruid.com> writes:
I want Linux debugging, and better interface support before this.