digitalmars.D - ssize_t

reply Vathix <vathix dprogramming.com> writes:
How about adding ssize_t to object.d? It's a signed version of size_t. I
believe it's fairly common in C.
Jun 15 2005
next sibling parent reply Sean Kelly <sean f4.ca> writes:
In article <op.sseikqe8kcck4r esi>, Vathix says...
How about adding ssize_t to object.d? It's a signed version of size_t. I
believe it's fairly common in C.
http://svn.dsource.org/projects/ares/trunk/src/ares/std/c/ :p Sean
Jun 15 2005
parent reply unknown <unknown_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <d8ptqf$mep$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Sean Kelly says...
In article <op.sseikqe8kcck4r esi>, Vathix says...
How about adding ssize_t to object.d? It's a signed version of size_t. I
believe it's fairly common in C.
http://svn.dsource.org/projects/ares/trunk/src/ares/std/c/ :p Sean
where?
Jun 18 2005
parent reply Sean Kelly <sean f4.ca> writes:
In article <d9220a$139o$1 digitaldaemon.com>, unknown says...
In article <d8ptqf$mep$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Sean Kelly says...
In article <op.sseikqe8kcck4r esi>, Vathix says...
How about adding ssize_t to object.d? It's a signed version of size_t. I
believe it's fairly common in C.
http://svn.dsource.org/projects/ares/trunk/src/ares/std/c/ :p Sean
where?
Oops. I thought ssize_t was a standard C definition, but it's not. If it were, it would be in stddef.
Jun 18 2005
parent Matthias Becker <Matthias_member pathlink.com> writes:
How about adding ssize_t to object.d? It's a signed version of size_t. I
believe it's fairly common in C.
http://svn.dsource.org/projects/ares/trunk/src/ares/std/c/ :p Sean
where?
Oops. I thought ssize_t was a standard C definition, but it's not. If it were, it would be in stddef.
Anyway, who needs ssize_t? you have ptrdiff_t.
Jun 23 2005
prev sibling parent reply Kevin VR <save.kvr telenet.be> writes:
Vathix wrote:
 How about adding ssize_t to object.d? It's a signed version of size_t.
 I  believe it's fairly common in C.
According to the D spec's portability guide (http://www.digitalmars.com/d/portability.html) there is this: <quote> the address space. address space. </quote> I don't know why ptrdiff_t is used though. ssize_t does indeed look like a more obvious (and to me more clear) solution. Maybe it's something that comes from an other language then C? -- Kevin
Jun 21 2005
next sibling parent "Walter" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
"Kevin VR" <save.kvr telenet.be> wrote in message
news:d9a7kg$1147$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 I don't know why ptrdiff_t is used though. ssize_t does indeed look like
 a more obvious (and to me more clear) solution.
 Maybe it's something that comes from an other language then C?
ptrdiff_t and size_t are from C.
Jun 25 2005
prev sibling parent reply Mark T <Mark_member pathlink.com> writes:
the detailed answer ->
from the GNU C library:
Important Data Types
The result of subtracting two pointers in C is always an integer, but the
precise data type varies from C compiler to C compiler. Likewise, the data type
of the result of sizeof also varies between compilers. ISO defines standard
aliases for these two types, so you can refer to them in a portable fashion.
They are defined in the header file stddef.h.

ptrdiff_t  Data Type
This is the signed integer type of the result of subtracting two pointers. For
example, with the declaration char *p1, *p2;, the expression p2 - p1 is of type
ptrdiff_t. This will probably be one of the standard signed integer types (short
int, int or long int), but might be a nonstandard type that exists only for this
purpose.

size_t  Data Type
This is an unsigned integer type used to represent the sizes of objects. The
result of the sizeof operator is of this type, and functions such as malloc (see
Unconstrained Allocation) and memcpy (see Copying and Concatenation) accept
arguments of this type to specify object sizes.
Usage Note: size_t is the preferred way to declare any arguments or variables
that hold the size of an object.

In the GNU system size_t is equivalent to either unsigned int or unsigned long
int. These types have identical properties on the GNU system and, for most
purposes, you can use them interchangeably. However, they are distinct as data
types, which makes a difference in certain contexts.

For example, when you specify the type of a function argument in a function
prototype, it makes a difference which one you use. If the system header files
declare malloc with an argument of type size_t and you declare malloc with an
argument of type unsigned int, you will get a compilation error if size_t
happens to be unsigned long int on your system. To avoid any possibility of
error, when a function argument or value is supposed to have type size_t, never
declare its type in any other way.

Compatibility Note: Implementations of C before the advent of ISO C generally
used unsigned int for representing object sizes and int for pointer subtraction
results. They did not necessarily define either size_t or ptrdiff_t. Unix
systems did define size_t, in sys/types.h, but the definition was usually a
signed type.
Jun 25 2005
parent Vathix <chris dprogramming.com> writes:
 ptrdiff_t  Data Type
 This is the signed integer type of the result of subtracting two
 pointers. For
 example, with the declaration char *p1, *p2;, the expression p2 - p1 is
 of type
 ptrdiff_t. This will probably be one of the standard signed integer
 types (short
 int, int or long int), but might be a nonstandard type that exists only
 for this
 purpose.
I don't believe it will hold the difference between two bit pointers. import std.stdio; int main() { //static bit[2] bits = [0, 1]; static bit* bits = [0, 1]; ptrdiff_t bitdiff; bitdiff = &bits[1] - &bits[0]; // ArrayBoundsError if -bits- is an array. writefln("bitdiff = %d", bitdiff); writefln("*(&bits[0] + bitdiff) = %d", *(&bits[0] + bitdiff)); writefln("*(&bits[1] - bitdiff) = %d", *(&bits[1] - bitdiff)); return 0; }
Jun 25 2005