digitalmars.D - Is it a good idea to use custom new/delete for a free list?

reply "Jarrett Billingsley" <kb3ctd2 yahoo.com> writes:
I combined the free list and custom new and delete examples in the "Memory
management" section of the D docs to do this:

class A
{
 new(uint sz)
 {
  void* p;

  if(freeList)
  {
   p=cast(void*)freeList;
   freeList=(cast(A)p).next;
   writefln("got from list");
  }
  else
  {
   p=std.c.stdlib.malloc(sz);
   if(!p)
    throw new OutOfMemoryException();
   addRange(p,p+sz);
  }

  return p;
 }

 delete(void* p)
 {
  (cast(A)p).next=freeList;
  freeList=cast(A)p;
 }

 static A freeList;
 A next;
}

This seems to work fine, as I put logging in these functions and it works
correctly.

However, I'm not sure if overloading the delete is such a good thing.  It
never deletes any of the memory.  Will this interfere with anything?
Jun 10 2005
next sibling parent reply Derek Parnell <derek psych.ward> writes:
 I combined the free list and custom new and delete examples in the "Memory
 management" section of the D docs to do this:
[snip]
 This seems to work fine, as I put logging in these functions and it works
 correctly.

 However, I'm not sure if overloading the delete is such a good thing.  It
 never deletes any of the memory.  Will this interfere with anything?
It doesn't interfere with the GC and so that should be fine. The way you are doing this implies that after any given delete, it is possible for a create to happen. Given that scenario, this algorithm is okay. You might want to add a special routine that literally frees up RAM and resets the free list pointer, if you ever get to the point where you know that you are never going to create any more items and there are no items remaining, and the application is continuing to run. Another possibility is a function to sweeps through the free list and deallocate RAM *and* resets the free list. This might be useful if you ever get a low-on-RAM signal. -- Derek Parnell Melbourne, Australia 11/06/2005 11:21:06 AM
Jun 10 2005
parent "Jarrett Billingsley" <kb3ctd2 yahoo.com> writes:
"Derek Parnell" <derek psych.ward> wrote in message
news:43qqnhicdszv.doc3g233sqgl$.dlg 40tude.net...
 It doesn't interfere with the GC and so that should be fine. The way you
 are doing this implies that after any given delete, it is possible for a
 create to happen. Given that scenario, this algorithm is okay.

 You might want to add a special routine that literally frees up RAM and
 resets the free list pointer, if you ever get to the point where you know
 that you are never going to create any more items and there are no items
 remaining, and the application is continuing to run.

 Another possibility is a function to sweeps through the free list and
 deallocate RAM *and* resets the free list. This might be useful if you
 ever
 get a low-on-RAM signal.
Thanks for the reply. One question though - what exactly is a "low on RAM signal" and how do I check for it? Is it something I can check for with the GC?
Jun 11 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Vathix <vathix dprogramming.com> writes:
  delete(void* p)
It's valid to delete null so you should check for it.
Jun 10 2005
parent "Jarrett Billingsley" <kb3ctd2 yahoo.com> writes:
"Vathix" <vathix dprogramming.com> wrote in message
news:op.sr6ngcihkcck4r esi...
  delete(void* p)
It's valid to delete null so you should check for it.
Good point.
Jun 11 2005
prev sibling parent Dave <Dave_member pathlink.com> writes:
You could replace the call to malloc with this:

//          p = std.c.stdlib.malloc(sz);
//          if(!p)
//              throw new OutOfMemoryException();
//          addRange(p,p+sz);

p = new void[sz];

Then the GC should reclaim that memory.

Maybe something to add under the memory management docs.?

- Dave

In article <d8de28$2d61$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Jarrett Billingsley says...
[...]

Jun 13 2005