digitalmars.D - Make code that is wrong, look wrong...

reply "Regan Heath" <regan netwin.co.nz> writes:
http://joelonsoftware.com/articles/Wrong.html
An article by "Joel Spolsky".
I loved it.

Regan
May 31 2005
next sibling parent Hasan Aljudy <hasan.aljudy gmail.com> writes:
Regan Heath wrote:
 http://joelonsoftware.com/articles/Wrong.html
 An article by "Joel Spolsky".
 I loved it.

 Regan
Well, I read about half of it .. until he explained his method. quote: The Real Solution So let me suggest a coding convention that works. We’ll have just one rule: All strings that come from the user must be stored in variables (or database columns) with a name starting with the prefix "us" (for Unsafe String). All strings that have been HTML encoded or which came from a known-safe location must be stored in variables with a name starting with the prefix "s" (for Safe string). /quote I disagree .. that's a weak solution. You simply can't guarantee that there will be no line of code with this "bug". You can only see it when skimming through, but you probably won't skim through every single file in your huge project. The real solution is to design the structure of the program in a way such that the error can be prevented. OOP is probably a better solution. DataBaseEntries are objects, Strings are objects. encapsulate strings in an object, and encapsulate user input source in an object .. You can define a sort of DefensiveHTMLString, and a user input object, and an input source. then to recieve stuff from the user, use: DefensiveString s = inputSource.Request("Hello"); here, the input source will flag the string inputted by the user as "unsafe" before assigning it to s. It's flaged as unsafe because it came from the user. Now, to actually retrive what's in the string, page.Write(s.getString()); getString() will return an encoded version, because "s" is unsafe. To store it in a DB, you would use a DBEntry bject, and set its content to 's'. In D or java, this would probably require the use of interfaces. With a similar (and better) kind of structure, you don't need to worry about spotting the bug, because the liklihood of it occuring is eliminated (read: drastically reduced). What is better? Elliminating the source of the bug, or finding ways to help you debug your poorly designed code? Gotta love OOP!! :) Actually, in a pure(r) oop, you wouldn't /flag/ the object 's' as "unsafe", you would simply instantiate it as an instance of UnsafeString, which would be a subclass of DefensiveString ... or something like that.
May 31 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent reply =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Anders_F_Bj=F6rklund?= <afb algonet.se> writes:
Regan Heath wrote:

 http://joelonsoftware.com/articles/Wrong.html
 An article by "Joel Spolsky".
 I loved it.
I didn't. :-) Hungarian got a bad name by Microsoft's use of it, and is really a nice guy ? (despite his appearance) Exceptions and gotos are both bad, and error codes are much better. And all the extra idents makes it easier? They both remove me from the Quality Plateau, and distract. If it works for you, then follow it. Maybe we're different? --andres
Jun 01 2005
next sibling parent reply Brad Beveridge <brad somewhere.net> writes:
Anders F Björklund wrote:
 Regan Heath wrote:
<snip>
 Exceptions and gotos are both bad, and error codes are
 much better. And all the extra idents makes it easier?
<snip> I don't use exceptions much, so this was a new bit of info for me. Exceptions, especially lower down the call chain, can break the usual flow of code execution (hence, exception :)). How do people normally go about making their code more exception tolerant? The obvious answer is to catch exceptions as close to the offending problem as possbile. But what if you forget to catch an exception? If I were going through the process of making my code more robust, how can I test that I am catching exceptions in the correct place? It sounds like the best place for this kind of checking is a tool that statically analyses the code and produces some sort of graph that shows where exceptions can possibly propagate to. Is this something that will fit into the DMD front end code? Cheers Brad
Jun 01 2005
parent reply Sean Kelly <sean f4.ca> writes:
In article <d7kpq2$24j8$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Brad Beveridge says...
How do people normally go about making their code more exception
tolerant?  The obvious answer is to catch exceptions as close to the
offending problem as possbile.  But what if you forget to catch an
exception?
In C++, RAII is the agreed upon way to create exception-safe code. In D, it would look something like this: Here, the transaction will be automatically rolled back if the function exits prematurely. Better C++ APIs will typically offer such classes for common operations. For example, a C++ threading library I've written contains a ScopedLock class to ensure that Mutexes are released automatically on scope exit. Things like this can be invaluable in preventing bugs not only in initial code design but in long-term maintenance as well. For the record, "RAII" stands for "Resource Acquisition Is Initialization." Sean
Jun 01 2005
parent Brad Beveridge <brad somewhere.net> writes:
Sean Kelly wrote:

 Here, the transaction will be automatically rolled back if the function exits
 prematurely.  Better C++ APIs will typically offer such classes for common
 operations.  For example, a C++ threading library I've written contains a
 ScopedLock class to ensure that Mutexes are released automatically on scope
 exit.  Things like this can be invaluable in preventing bugs not only in
initial
 code design but in long-term maintenance as well.

I like that - I don't think I've seen that idiom before. I'm a bit of a dope when it comes to OO, writing system drivers in C is my day job - OO & D are just a hobby :) I guess that my concern (after reading the Joel column) with exceptions is that say I have this kind of call structure A() calls B() calls C() C() throws two types of exceptions, the ReallyCommonException and the UnCommonException. B() catches the ReallyCommonException, because it is well documented and B() knows how to continue on. Infact, B() thinks that it will properly catch ALL exceptions - but B() is wrong. A() expects to always get a result out of B(), and A() doesn't expect any exception to get past B(). I guess my concern is that A() expects B() to always sheild it from exceptions. B() expects to only catch the documented (say we have a 3rd party library) exception. C() is obviously the bad apple here - but A() or B() need to deal with it. I guess what I am saying is : Assuming that you have a binary only library, with incorrect documentation - it would be nice to find out which exceptions each function throws, so that you can be sure you are catching them all. As I said earlier - I just dabble with this stuff & only rarely use Exceptions anyhow, so maybe what I am saying is just plain wrong. Cheers Brad
Jun 01 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent Ilya Minkov <minkov cs.tum.edu> writes:
Anders F Björklund schrieb:
 I didn't. :-)

 Hungarian got a bad name by Microsoft's use of it, and is really a
 nice guy ? (despite his appearance)
He might have a point - sort of - though, as has been said often enough, hungarian is pre-C++. In a typesafe language one would just declare his own type, say, QuotedString, and only allow that to be printed into the document. Anyway, a single example is only enough to dismiss, not to prove an point.
 Exceptions and gotos are both bad, and error codes are much better.
 And all the extra idents makes it easier?
Oh, yes, and the most evil of all: continue and break. :) Oh, and while we're at it: let's declare switch/case evil since it uses break so often. :))) And premature ... [optimization? no! ej...? no!] ... RETURN is a rppt pf sll 3v1L !!!
 They both remove me from the Quality Plateau, and distract. If it
 works for you, then follow it. Maybe we're different?
Software is complex today. What is appropriate if a simple program fails? Do as if it succeeded? No! Rather bailout quickly and with an error state. Exceptions are just that - they allow one to kill a sub-program - particularly a part of an execution stack - up until a higher-level, independant part of the program may discard that, perhaps inform a user, and continue working. If a failure has occured, i don't want that piece of code running any longer, tampering further with some resource which has caused the failure. And that's what exceptions are truly wonderful for. A code requiered to check global error state or return values would often fail to do that correctly. Probably good and correct exception-handling code is just as rare, but at least IT RETURNS the control RELIABLY to the main program. -eye
Jun 02 2005
prev sibling parent reply "Jim H" <jhewesNOSPAM ix.netcom.com> writes:
"Anders F Björklund" <afb algonet.se> wrote in message
news:d7joto$tj1$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Exceptions and gotos are both bad, and error codes are
 much better. And all the extra idents makes it easier?
Spolsky and Chen do seem to dislike exceptions. When I first found the D site, this sentence in the Overview popped out at me in particular: "Exception handling. More and more experience with exception handling shows it to be a superior way to handle errors than the C traditional method of using error codes and errno globals. " I've never known conclusively whether exception handling is a good thing or not. You can search on newsgroups for plenty of discussions and debates on it, and I've done that. But what you usually see are people arguing both sides of the debate. Given that quote above, is there some argument or evidence that anyone can point me to that would convince me one way or the other? I don't mean to start a debate right here; rather I'm asking more for references. People will usually say "exceptions should be used for exceptional circumstances." Unfortunately this tells me nothing unless you define what an exceptional circumstance is. In some cases I think it can even be up to the calling function, not the callee, as to what is exceptional or not. So I'd like to hear a better explanation than that. Jim
Jun 04 2005
next sibling parent Trevor Parscal <trevorparscal hotmail.com> writes:
I use exception handling when I don't trust the function I am calling.

Thats the only time I use them personally.

--
Thanks,
Trevor Parscal
prev sibling next sibling parent reply =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anders_F_Bj=F6rklund?= <afb algonet.se> writes:
Jim H wrote:

Exceptions and gotos are both bad, and error codes are
much better. And all the extra idents makes it easier?
Spolsky and Chen do seem to dislike exceptions.
Yes, and I probably should have written that better since it's been quoted a few times now: it wasn't *my* opinions. I'm using either exceptions or gotos, and liking it...
 "Exception handling. More and more experience with exception handling shows
 it to be a superior way to handle errors than the C traditional method of
 using error codes and errno globals. "
[...]
 Given that quote above, is there some argument or evidence that anyone can
 point me to that would convince me one way or the other? I don't mean to
 start a debate right here; rather I'm asking more for references.
I'm not sure about others, but I'm updating C code that looks like: foo = calloc(1,sizeof(*foo)); if (!foo) return NULL; bar = calloc(1,sizeof(*bar)); if (!bar) { free(foo); return NULL; } baz = calloc(1,sizeof(*baz)); if (!baz) { free(foo); free(bar); return NULL; } foo->bar = bar; foo->baz = baz; return foo; Having exceptions (and garbage collection) would surely have helped ? The file reading code would similarly benefit, too long for an example. Writing the above code "Pascal-style", with indented ifs and a single point of return at the bottom only makes it worse (in my own opinion). But unless I'm horribly mistaken, that's the approach they advocated ? (in http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/2005/01/14/352949.aspx) --anders
Jun 05 2005
parent "Jim H" <jimh nowhere.com> writes:
"Anders F Björklund" <afb algonet.se> wrote in message
news:d7uknk$199j$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Jim H wrote:

Exceptions and gotos are both bad, and error codes are
much better. And all the extra idents makes it easier?
Spolsky and Chen do seem to dislike exceptions.
Yes, and I probably should have written that better since it's been quoted a few times now: it wasn't *my* opinions.
Oh, I understood what you meant---that you were sort of quoting them. I was just agreeing with you. Jim
Jun 07 2005