digitalmars.D - Native Windows Support

reply "TechnoZeus" <TechnoZeus PeoplePC.com> writes:
Does anyone know if there are any plans to eventually have native Windows
support in the D language?

By this I mean, not having to import modules from another language (such as C)
to write a Windows program.

There are several reasons why I ask, but before I get into any of them here,
I would just like to know if such a thing is planned at all.

TZ
May 27 2005
next sibling parent reply bobef <bobef_member pathlink.com> writes:
I think the anwer is that D is a programming language not a library for
windows... But it would be cool if windows was better supported... Current win32
headers are more like win16 or at most win95...

In article <d77mve$1vav$1 digitaldaemon.com>, TechnoZeus says...

next sibling parent reply Brad Beveridge <brad somewhere.net> writes:
bobef wrote:
 I think the anwer is that D is a programming language not a library for
 windows... But it would be cool if windows was better supported... Current
win32
 headers are more like win16 or at most win95...

 In article <d77mve$1vav$1 digitaldaemon.com>, TechnoZeus says...

Does anyone know if there are any plans to eventually have native Windows
support in the D language?

By this I mean, not having to import modules from another language (such as C)
to write a Windows program.

There are several reasons why I ask, but before I get into any of them here,
I would just like to know if such a thing is planned at all.

TZ
I would hope that a better solution would be to use/invent a D specific GUI library that was cross-platform. Since we have a whole new language, if you're going to write a GUI style wrapper it may as well be able to run on more than just Windows. I would suggest that either wxWindows or Gtk+ would make good backends for a D UI wrapper. Brad
May 27 2005
next sibling parent reply Trevor Parscal <Trevor_member pathlink.com> writes:
I would hope that a better solution would be to use/invent a D specific
GUI library that was cross-platform.  Since we have a whole new
language, if you're going to write a GUI style wrapper it may as well be
able to run on more than just Windows.
I would suggest that either wxWindows or Gtk+ would make good backends
for a D UI wrapper.

Brad
I have to take issue with this one. Cause if you do make a GUI wrapper, how native the wrapper looks makes a big deal, which than of course limits the wrapper to the lowest denominator of the platforms it supports. So if there is no DatePicker on OSX, than you have to either fake one, or not use it on ANY platform. I also see it from the Gtk+ side, where native style is not such a big deal, and you can theme your own app to be the same everywhere, but for that to be THE gui library of D seems limited too. Why? In graphical user interface design, a HUGE part of making something USABLE is NOT forcing the user to learn something new unless absolutely nessecary. Making the interface different from the native look and feel, even as small of a change as changing an icon in a scroll bar, can make the application less usable on that platform. Than there is the other extreme. The one that I am admitedly taking. Using something like OpenGL to make a next generation gui. This way I am creating a new experience entirely, which causes a learning curve, but is in no way limiting from platform to platform... Blender is an application that proves this design can be successful. www.blender.org The good thing is, you can choose which way you want to go already, and D is in it's early stages. Perhaps D doesn't need a gui toolkit that is in anyway more associated with D than any other. Just my thoughts. Thanks, Trevor Parscal www.trevorparscal.com trevorparscal hotmail.com
Trevor Parscal wrote:
I would hope that a better solution would be to use/invent a D specific
GUI library that was cross-platform.  Since we have a whole new
language, if you're going to write a GUI style wrapper it may as well be
able to run on more than just Windows.
I would suggest that either wxWindows or Gtk+ would make good backends
for a D UI wrapper.

Brad
I have to take issue with this one. Cause if you do make a GUI wrapper, how native the wrapper looks makes a big deal, which than of course limits the wrapper to the lowest denominator of the platforms it supports. So if there is no DatePicker on OSX, than you have to either fake one, or not use it on ANY platform.
I agree with you - GUI toolkits should behave the same as the platform that they are run on. Qt manages to do a fair job of cross-platform toolkitting. The point I was making is that if a large scale D GUI project were to be started, I would hope it would be written in a manner that thought about being cross-platform. I feel that market share for non-windows OSes is trending upward, and the benefits of a cross-platform GUI toolkit would be far greater than only a single platform toolkit. As for programming to the lowest common denominator, I think that is a good point. IMHO the solution would be for the toolkit to support each platform to its fullest, and let the application programmer choose the level of platform dependance. Ie, in the toolkit implement DatePicker to only work on Win32 using native calls, if it is a very popular widget, then someone will implement it in a more general way. I realise that what I am saying is HARD - that's why I'm not doing anything about it :) I'm just trying to sway people to be cross-platform aware. Brad
May 27 2005
parent reply Trevor Parscal <Trevor_member pathlink.com> writes:
I realise that what I am saying is HARD - that's why I'm not doing
anything about it :)  I'm just trying to sway people to be
cross-platform aware.

Brad
I think that cross platform aware is a trend that D is a part of, not against, but sometimes you should also considder limits. For instance, I really wish SDL were capable of handling window management in a more advanced way, but they are so determined to ensure it works on Amiga and some obscure version of Unix, they forgot to make it more powerful for the other 99% on Windows, Mac, and Linux (Well, X) I think we should strive to build a cross platform gui toolkit that is aimed at Modern (still being developed and growing with new technological trends) Desktop operating systems. One might think, the most popular modern operating systems... - Windows XP - Mac OSX - Linux But in reality, you should spend about 7 times more attention to getting solid Window 2000 support before you considder making it work on a Mac. (I base this on the stats I got from google) And windows 2000 doesnt even qualify as a modern OS... 1st. 64.0% Win XP 2nd. 19.7% W2000 3rd. 4.1% Win 98 4th. 3.3% Linux 5th. 2.9% Mac I suppose we should expect OSX to push mac's numbers through the roof, but the problem is, Linux is growing faster, perhaps skewed by the increasing number of chinese computers being shipped with linux for legal reasons, only to later run a pirated copy of windows. I still think we should strive to make a GUI toolkit for the top three though. Just, lets not get caught up on running the apps on a dreamcast. :) If anyone wants to start this new endevor with me, e-mail me, we can get something running and go from there. Just some more thoughts, on my day off... Thanks, Trevor Parscal www.trevorparscal.com trevorparscal hotmail.com
May 27 2005
parent reply "TechnoZeus" <TechnoZeus PeoplePC.com> writes:
"Trevor Parscal" <Trevor_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:d78245$27ej$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]

Exactly my point. Windows has it's problems, and is quite expensive (especially when compared with any free operating system) but it is popular for more reasons than just the fact that it's backed by a big company. Native support for Windows would be a good step in the right direction in my opinion, especially if a lowest common denominator implementation key Windows style functionality were to be built in as a cross-platform default, and then over-ridden over time in each case where a better solution is found (or made) to be available. This way, rather than leaving out a functionality becuase it's not fully supported on some platform, the functionality would be made available on that platform even if only in a crude form, helping to shape the future in a positive way. Consider the fact that every version of Microsoft Windows older than Windows 95 was entirely a DOS application, running in an environment that had no native GUI support. Consider also that almost 100% of the early Windows programs (and most well written modern ones) could be run without a mouse, because functionality such as the menu system was designed to work in several different ways, and acomodate the user's prefered way of doing things. This concept still works, but has unfortunately not been kept up so much in recent years... but there's no reason D shouldn't be able to have such a concept built in, at least to a reasonable extent. Perhaps in addition to built in assembly language support, there should be built in XML or HTML support, or something similar that would allow a GUI to be built as a native part of the D source code... but there I'm just speculating. Regardless of how it's done, I do feel that any level of native GUI support, and in turn native Windows support based on that native GUI support, would be a huge plus for the future of the D programming language. In short, I would like to write Windows programs "the D way" in D, rather than "the C way" with D parts. TZ TZ
May 28 2005
parent reply Carlos Santander <csantander619 gmail.com> writes:
TechnoZeus escribió:

[...]

I really don't understand what you're saying. Can you write native looking Windows applications in C? Yes. Can you do it in D? Yes. How? The same way you do it in C: use a file with the Win32 headers (Core32 in dsource, for example) so you can do "CreateWindow(...)" et al, link with the appropiate libraries (you could need gdi32.lib and/or others) and run it. They have Win2000 look. If you want WinXP theming, you have to use a special resource file, just like you would in C. What's not native there? For other platforms, the process is similar, except that IMHO there's no native look on linux because you can have X, GTK+, KDE, etc. Native on Mac seems to be the same as in Windows, but my experience with it is not that much yet. But you get "native" X, or "native" GTK+, etc. Again, I don't understand what you're saying. I maybe missing something. -- Carlos Santander Bernal
May 28 2005
parent reply "TechnoZeus" <TechnoZeus PeoplePC.com> writes:
"Carlos Santander" <csantander619 gmail.com> wrote in message
news:d79t3k$pbv$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 TechnoZeus escribió:
[...]

No, that's not what I mean at all. C has no native support for Windows, and for that matter to my knowledge no native support for development of GUI based applications. Having to use an external header file or library is a good sign that the support is not native to the language, but rather something that was added as an after-thought... probably by someone other than the language's developer. ...and as such, is generally neither universally available to everyone using the language nor included in the language's specification or documentation. TZ
May 30 2005
parent reply Carlos Santander <Carlos_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <d7eh5d$1ejo$1 digitaldaemon.com>, TechnoZeus says...
No, that's not what I mean at all.

C has no native support for Windows, and for that matter to my knowledge
no native support for development of GUI based applications.

Having to use an external header file or library is a good sign that the
support is not native to the language,
but rather something that was added as an after-thought...
probably by someone other than the language's developer.
...and as such, is generally neither universally available to everyone using
the language
nor included in the language's specification or documentation.

TZ
Please read what Walter thinks about it here: http://www.digitalmars.com/drn-bin/wwwnews?digitalmars.D/24711 -- Carlos Santander Bernal
May 30 2005
parent "TechnoZeus" <TechnoZeus PeoplePC.com> writes:
"Carlos Santander" <Carlos_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:d7f6b9$25qu$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 In article <d7eh5d$1ejo$1 digitaldaemon.com>, TechnoZeus says...
No, that's not what I mean at all.

C has no native support for Windows, and for that matter to my knowledge
no native support for development of GUI based applications.

Having to use an external header file or library is a good sign that the
support is not native to the language,
but rather something that was added as an after-thought...
probably by someone other than the language's developer.
...and as such, is generally neither universally available to everyone using
the language
nor included in the language's specification or documentation.

TZ
Please read what Walter thinks about it here: http://www.digitalmars.com/drn-bin/wwwnews?digitalmars.D/24711 -- Carlos Santander Bernal
Thanks... good to see where he stands on GUI libraries... but again, I'm not talking about making a GUI library standard. In fact, although I have nothing against that idea if one came along that most D programmers agreed SHOULD be standardized, but short of that happening, I wouldn't want any specific GUI library to be set above the others as a standard. What I'm talking about is adding basic GUI support to the D lanugage itself... the kind of stuff that would make it possible to write a good GUI library in a small fraction of the source code, and would make using a GUI library for a simple cross-platform application completely unnecessary. I've already noticed that Walter isn't too big on GUI's by the fact that when I mentioned my concerns with how D works from a context mene, he told me to open a command prompt and run it from there... but he also does pay attention to what "we" want... meaning, if the D community sees it as important, Walter will most likely also come to see it as important eventually... if he doesn't already. TZ
May 30 2005
I would agree, but... There are two different types of UI we are facing these days: 1) "native" and 2) Web UI. If you will count sites or online Web applications with number of native applications in active use now then you will find that Web apps are overwhelming latter in magnitude of times. I am pretty sure that to create really 'native' application - a good citizen of target platform you should use tools and languages of the platform designed for that (E.g. Objective C for Mac and NextStep). There is no compromises here. Dixi. Generally speaking if your application is not an OS extender like e.g. name space extension widget/driver on Windows then you are free to choose your own style. Main requirement - your app should be useful and its UI must follow metaphor of its main function and users will accept it on any platform and in any form. Take a look on Eclipse: even it is using native widgets it is a foreigner on Mac: http://developer.apple.com/tools/images/eclipse_plugin.jpg For example take a look on scrollbars there - to be ergonomic they should be implemented as less invisible as possible in such kind of UI - productive IDEs. Take a look on Microsoft Office - it is *absolutely* non-native Windows UI. http://www.winsupersite.com/images/reviews/office11_10.gif Pay attention on Header of Inbox view ("Arranged by Date") - this is the only one "native" part left from native widget set of Windows on this screen. And it looks as just a UI bug, isn't it? Do you think you need native widget set for something like this?: http://www.activewin.com/reviews/software/utils/v/vscan5d/images/VS5Big.jpg Again, there are applications which *must* look as native as possible. But there are 90% of others which would just win if they will take off the uniform they are wearing now. Another example: Take a look on the app I am participating in creation: http://www.evernote.com/en/products/evernote/ UI is not perfect yet but in any case this application *must not* follow standard native platform look. IMHO, of course. Andrew. "Trevor Parscal" <Trevor_member pathlink.com> wrote in message news:d77uke$24r0$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]

Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:
<snip>

Andrew - if you don't mind me summarising - you are saying that:
As long as your app does useful work, and the UI is intuitive - and
let's face it most UI's are more or less the same - then it doesn't
matter that it does or doesn't look like the native platform?

That is a very interesting view - I will have to take note of how many
apps I run that use "non standard" UI elements.  I hadn't thought about
it before, but I thinkt that you are completly correct.  Even Apple, who
are usually very strict on UI, have now got multiple different looks to
their application.

I which case, Harmonia would be a good UI to choose :)
BTW, are you planning on allowing Harmonia to have multiple windows at
some point in the future?

Brad
May 27 2005

Exactly! Moreover: pretty frequently "nativeness" of look-n-feel is just a stopper. E.g. application: http://www.evernote.com/en/images/EN-screenshot-8-full.gif *must* look different. It uses idiom of endless tape with notes (HTML and free hand) which you cannot describe in terms of OS widgets. I will say also: it is using HWNDs on Windows and this is... I'd better stay silent here.
:) Microsoft Office, WinAmp/MediaPlayer, MSN Messenger, Netscape/Opera browsers. FireFox is pretending to be native but it does not and this is bad (small details missed, heavvy, slow, etc.). It would be much more better if its UI will be implemented natively on Win32 or just completely different. All Adobe products, All Symantec/McAfee consumer products. KlipFolio (http://www.serence.com/images/content/screens/kf-2.jpg) And only one really native Win32 application I am using I wrote by myself: http://blocknote.net/images/screenshot.jpg :)))))))
 I which case, Harmonia would be a good UI to choose :)
Oh, yeh! And the best one if D will run on mobile platforms.
 BTW, are you planning on allowing Harmonia to have multiple windows at
 some point in the future?
What do you mean under "multiple windows"? You can create as much OS windows as you want now.... Or you mean MDI? MDI is a usability disaster (imo) - you can show multiple documents in many and more convenient ways to the user in Harmonia. Andrew.
 Brad
May 27 2005
next sibling parent reply "Kris" <fu bar.com> writes:
"Andrew Fedoniouk" <news terrainformatica.com>
 Exactly! Moreover: pretty frequently "nativeness" of look-n-feel
 is just a stopper. E.g. application:
 http://www.evernote.com/en/images/EN-screenshot-8-full.gif
 *must* look different. It uses idiom of endless tape with notes
 (HTML and free hand) which you cannot describe in terms of
 OS widgets.
EverNote looks like a great product! Is this something you're involved with, Andrew?
May 27 2005
parent "Andrew Fedoniouk" <news terrainformatica.com> writes:
"Kris" <fu bar.com> wrote in message news:d7877i$2b97$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 "Andrew Fedoniouk" <news terrainformatica.com>
 Exactly! Moreover: pretty frequently "nativeness" of look-n-feel
 is just a stopper. E.g. application:
 http://www.evernote.com/en/images/EN-screenshot-8-full.gif
 *must* look different. It uses idiom of endless tape with notes
 (HTML and free hand) which you cannot describe in terms of
 OS widgets.
EverNote looks like a great product! Is this something you're involved with, Andrew?
Thanks. Concept is just perfect. UI implementation.... we are working on that :)) ....I guess TerraInformatica should be in "Help/About..."... yes, it is there. I wish D working on mobiles.... :( Andrew.
May 27 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Brad Beveridge <brad somewhere.net> writes:
 Oh, yeh! And the best one if D will run on mobile platforms.

Well, I can tell you that D has already run on at least one mobile platform. The last place I worked was a linux house specialising in ARM based systems. We cross compiled GDC to run on ARM linux, and build a small test app to make sure D and Phobos were behaving. I guess that strictly speaking, the board wasn't mobile - it didn't actually have a battery on the prototype units we had :) If only getting tool chains to work with PocketPC were so easy ;) Brad
May 27 2005
parent "Andrew Fedoniouk" <news terrainformatica.com> writes:
 Oh, yeh! And the best one if D will run on mobile platforms.
Well, I can tell you that D has already run on at least one mobile platform. The last place I worked was a linux house specialising in ARM based systems. We cross compiled GDC to run on ARM linux, and build a small test app to make sure D and Phobos were behaving. I guess that strictly speaking, the board wasn't mobile - it didn't actually have a battery on the prototype units we had :)
Wow, I think that it will run on Sharp Zaurus then.
 If only getting tool chains to work with PocketPC were so easy ;)
Sigh. I know at least two corporations who will pay for such toolset. Compiler/linker would be enough. As far I can see it is possible to create native layer for Harmonia emulating PocketPC environment on Win32. So main design could be made on PC.
May 27 2005
prev sibling parent reply "TechnoZeus" <TechnoZeus PeoplePC.com> writes:
"Andrew Fedoniouk" <news terrainformatica.com> wrote in message
news:d786bg$2af6$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 "Brad Beveridge"wrote:
 <snip>

 I which case, Harmonia would be a good UI to choose :)
Oh, yeh! And the best one if D will run on mobile platforms.
 BTW, are you planning on allowing Harmonia to have multiple windows at
 some point in the future?

 Brad
What do you mean under "multiple windows"? You can create as much OS windows as you want now.... Or you mean MDI? MDI is a usability disaster (imo) - you can show multiple documents in many and more convenient ways to the user in Harmonia. Andrew.
I am still looking forward to seeing Harmonia. I am also curious whether or not it is something that could be incorporated into D as an integral part, and if so, would you be willing to let it be, if Walter / Digital Mars were willing to incorporate it at that level? In other words, is it possible that (if other people were willing) we may some day be able to download a D compiler, and write GUI applications in entirely in D that would use Harmonia as a GUI backbone, without having to separately download, install, and configure Harmonia to work the the D compiler? (I'm guessing the answer to this is no, so don't worry about disappointing me, but I had to ask.) As for multi-document interface, it's not a disaster if done right. In fact, it's a great way to be able to handle many documents in one program at the same time. Take a look at Sysedit (if you don't already know it, which you probably do) for one example. You probably already have it, if you have Windows. Another good example is Crimson Editor http://www.crimsoneditor.com/ which has a tab-bar just below it's tool-bar, listing the open documents... which can be tiled or cascaded from the Window menu, or can be displayed one at a time by maximizing the foreground document window. In effect, the MDI allows the application to act as a desktop on a desktop... which is an apt matephore since the GUI was originally modeled to represent a metaphore for physical desktops such as those that many desktop computers occupy space on. TZ
May 28 2005
parent Carlos Santander <csantander619 gmail.com> writes:
TechnoZeus escribió:

[...]

I agree. It's also the trend with browsers: even IE7 will have tabbed browsing. -- Carlos Santander Bernal
May 28 2005
prev sibling parent reply "Unknown W. Brackets" <unknown simplemachines.org> writes:
I disagree.  I hate programs that try to have their own look, and avoid
using them unless they are the only thing that opens PDFs, DOCs, etc...
like most of the examples you gave.

I tried Eclipse, and it doesn't feel native.  It's not the look, it's
the feel.

-[Unknown]

WinAmp, now playing, Status Quo: "Oh-oo-oh you're in the army, in the army now". :))) (WinAmp. sic!) Russian anekdote: Drill-sergeant: "If you, civil, think that you are so wise then why aren't you marching in the order?" I am not sure about my translation but it should be close. To be serious: Name applications you are using which you consider as good from your point? No offence implied, honestly. As many people as many opionions. That is true and good. Andrew. "Unknown W. Brackets" <unknown simplemachines.org> wrote in message news:d7892e$2coi$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]

next sibling parent reply "Unknown W. Brackets" <unknown simplemachines.org> writes:
Visual Studio .NET - while it has many Office style widgets, it by and
large uses the general look and feel of Windows.

VMware.

Firefox, Thunderbird (imho, native-ness on multiple plaforms is their
clear strong point, whatever you say.)

Symantec Antivirus (corporate version, uses native UI.)

SmartFTP (not a perfect example.)

Ahead Nero (not a perfect example.)

TUGZip, WinZip, whatever you prefer.

MySQL and its applications.

These all look good, work well, and are easy to use.  They feel right,
they respect my Windows preferences.

A good example of a bad one: Cisco's VPN client.  Ugh, the feel of that
program.  TortoiseCVS too (which uses native widgets, but badly imho),
althought I only use it for the icons in Explorer.

And although you asserted otherwise, Adobe Photoshop (which I also use)
uses a lot of native widgets which is a good thing.  It uses a lot of
custom ones, but that's a neccessity - I never said that shouldn't be done.

-[Unknown]

 Name applications you are using which you consider as good from your
 point?

 No offence implied, honestly.
 As many people as many opionions. That is true and good.

 Andrew.
May 27 2005
parent reply "Andrew Fedoniouk" <news terrainformatica.com> writes:
 Visual Studio .NET - while it has many Office style widgets, it by and
 large uses the general look and feel of Windows.
Visual Studio.Net uses old set of Office UI widgets (a.k.a flat controls) All controls in this foundation are custom made and has non Windows look-n-feel e.g. massive use of mouse-over effects. If you are in XP then try to switch from XP theme to Classic. Visual Studio.Net just ignores your preferences. Seems like I don't understand your "general look and feel of Windows". Or you mean just color schema? Or window layout (which is pretty much IBMs CUI )?
 VMware.
Ah this beauty of Windows dialogs: http://www.vmware.com/products/desktop/img/ws5_large7.gif :)
 Firefox, Thunderbird (imho, native-ness on multiple plaforms is their
 clear strong point, whatever you say.)
Not point but intention. As point cannot be reached so straightforward. Small detail: Standard tabs in Windows http://www.mozilla-firefox.com/images/tab-menu.png were not designed for use in windows-frames. They are for dialogs only. It would be way better if Firefox use different look for them.
 Symantec Antivirus (corporate version, uses native UI.)
I'll trust you, never seen it. This one: http://www.softpedia.com/screenshots//Norton-AntiVirus-Virus-Definitions_1.png I know.
 SmartFTP (not a perfect example.)

 Ahead Nero (not a perfect example.)

 TUGZip, WinZip, whatever you prefer.
WinZip is a bad example too. The best from UI/usability perspective is MS builtin zip support - it shows ZIP files transparently - as a Shell Namespace Extension. But not enough functionality. Good example in fact - native look and feel but not enough features and completely "not cute" :)
 MySQL and its applications.
??? Command line interface ??? Where is GUI there?
 These all look good, work well, and are easy to use.  They feel right,
 they respect my Windows preferences.
At least Visual Studio .NET does not respect your Windows preferences. In fact Microsoft is a biggest abuser of their own UI design recomendations. No one major product suite is not using them. MS Money, VS, MSN, Office - all of them has their own and distinct GUI style.
 A good example of a bad one: Cisco's VPN client.  Ugh, the feel of that
 program.  TortoiseCVS too (which uses native widgets, but badly imho),
 althought I only use it for the icons in Explorer.
I lost you here completely. http://www.tortoisecvs.org/screenshot1.png Tortoise clients made as Namespace Extensions. This is 120% native look-n-feel. What do you mean? Andrew.
May 27 2005
parent reply "Unknown W. Brackets" <unknown simplemachines.org> writes:
 Seems like I don't understand your "general look and feel of Windows".
 Or you mean just color schema? Or window layout (which is pretty
 much IBMs CUI )?
Microsoft designed the GUI, so they can keep it with the same feel. The look isn't as important, and Visual Studio .NET does adjust somewhat to the theme I choose; much better than some of the programs you've mentioned.
 Not point but intention. As point cannot be reached so straightforward.
Language barriers.....
 Small detail: Standard tabs in Windows...
I very strongly disagree, but this is only a matter of opinion.
MySQL and its applications.
??? Command line interface ??? Where is GUI there?
MySQL and its applications. You may have to look at it and no rely on memory from '99.
 I lost you here completely.
 http://www.tortoisecvs.org/screenshot1.png
 Tortoise clients made as Namespace Extensions.
 This is 120% native look-n-feel.
Look and feel are not the same thing. And that's just the shell integration you're looking at, that's not the part that "feels" wrong. -[Unknown]
May 27 2005
parent "TechnoZeus" <TechnoZeus PeoplePC.com> writes:
"Unknown W. Brackets" <unknown simplemachines.org> wrote in message
news:d78lid$2od8$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]
Correct me if I'm mistaken, but I think a good "non-visual" example of what you are talking about can be found in the keyboard shortcuts for cut, copy, and paste. Originally, Windows used cut = shift-delete, copy = ctrl-insert, paste = shift-insert, while Macintosh used cut = option-x, copy = option-c, paste = option v, and applications written for each platform usually conformed to those standards. Over time, people who learned on Macs in high-school and college, and felt uncomfortable with the Windows keyboard shortcuts or wanted cross-platform consistancy wrote into their Windows applications... cut = ctrl-x, copy = ctrl-c, paste = ctrl-v, but Windows still supported it's own "built-in" keyboard shortcuts too. Now, newer versions of Windows no longer have any consistant keyboard shortcuts for those three functions, and shift-delete has even been adapted in Windows Explorer as a keyboard shortcut for "permanent delete" making a serious risk for someone who is used to thinking of shift-delete as a way of deleting something from it's current location but being able to paste it into a new location from the clipboard. The "feel" is no longer consistant... even within the operating system, in this case. TZ
May 28 2005
prev sibling parent reply Trevor Parscal <Trevor_member pathlink.com> writes:
Unless it's a really useful app, with a very powerful purpose, like 3D Studio
Max for instance, than being as close to the native style as possible is usually
a good thing.

Little utilities, I feel, are best made native looking. I use Nero, not one of
those "themed" cd burners, cause I can't take them seriously.

Media players and instant messaging like www.trillian.cc are themable, and often
times people chose themes that aren't native, but there always seems to be a
native theme, so at least there is an option for the user.

All in all, usability is not something that most software developers pay any
attention to at all. I know, I am a usability consultant. Even big companies
with huge teams have a hard time making software usable, so they hire
specialists, (outsourcing or in house) to help make things better.

All in all, I think that neither Windows, Linux, or Mac (in order of popularity
on the desktop) have a perfect UI look and feel, but if a user accustoms
themselves to it, forcing them to learn your "new" way of doing things is like
making a Mac user use Windows; they will be out of their element for a while.

Like I said though, a big program, like one you can take a class for... It
doesnt matter as long as it's usefull, cause quite frankly you are going to have
to learn so much, and there is simply not enough controls in a basic gui kit on
any platform to make a REAL program from.

My 2 cents.. plus some.

Thanks,
Trevor Parscal
www.trevorparscal.com
trevorparscal hotmail.com
May 27 2005
parent "TechnoZeus" <TechnoZeus PeoplePC.com> writes:
"Trevor Parscal" <Trevor_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:d78df2$2gn8$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]

I agree with most, but not all of what you just said. The part I disagree with is the idea that if a program is already large and complex enough to be expected to take a lot of training to use, then the extent to which such a program is designed to allow existing knowledge to be apploed doesn't matter. The way I see it... It matters a lot! Yes, there are always going to be new elements in a sufficiently complex program that need to be learned from the ground up, but overwhelming people with a barage of new little things to "re-learn" is usually not necessary. It may be easier for the programmers to design the software that way, but that's exactly why I'm asking about native Windows support and more importantly, native GUI and modern platform support in the D language... so that D programs could be "more easily" written not to require such a steep learning curve. In other words, I would like to see usability addressed at the programming language development level... while there's still a chance of that happening. TZ
May 28 2005
prev sibling parent "TechnoZeus" <TechnoZeus PeoplePC.com> writes:
[...]

I agree. It is important that to what ever extent possible, what works on one platform will also work on another. Take the "printf" statement for example (which is a C function that is used a lot in D) and consider the fact that it works fine in a program with a console window, or in a console or terminal style application, but fails to give any output in a GUI application with no console window. This is nowhere near ideal. It would be better to have an output function that outputs to the main background surface of an application by default, or one that outputs to the active forground surface of an application by default, or one that sends it's output to the most recently active surface of the application that is text capable... or SOME consistant behavior, but defined as a language standard rather than as an external function that may or may not output to anything at all when it's told to. Implementation of such basic things as menus, text output, text input, directional input (such as a joystick, arrow keys, etc.) and so on, can and should be native to the programming language if possible, and established as standards with certain predictable functionality. The exact implementation of that functionality can then be drawn from the resources available on the target platform. For example, a menu object can contain information on menu titles, descriptions, hot-keys, and so on. but the menu displayed by such an object, and the times or places it is displayed can vary from one platform to another. A console or terminal application may display the menu in textual form at key times when menu input is expected, while a GUI application may display it at all times in the main menu bar of the application's main window on one platform, or as a subset of the main OS menu when that application is in the foreground on another platform. Any functional default would be sufficient to allow the object to be used, and can be improved on in future implementations, and/or over-ridden by advanced programmers who are not satisfied with the defaults. The date picker is a good example. It's not hard to implement a text based default for such a thing, which could be used in non-GUI environments, or in environments that lack one or that have one which is not yet supported... as a temporary substitute, if necessary. The important thing is, in my opinion, to recognize that such functionality is necessary in today's applications and build at least "some" native support into the programming language, if at all possible. This native support shouldn't go so far as to preclude choices that the programmer would otherwise have, but should give consistant default behaviors within a given environment when no such choice has been made... again, to the extent possible... which is hugely a function of time and intent. It's the intent that I am questioning. After all... time is something that all of us here are investing, so we should have no trouble being patient if we feel confident that the future is bright. (no pun intended.) TZ
May 28 2005
prev sibling parent reply "Jim H" <jhewesNOSPAM ix.netcom.com> writes:
"Brad Beveridge" <brad somewhere.net> wrote in message
news:d77ots$20ms$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 I would suggest that either wxWindows or Gtk+ would make good backends for
 a D UI wrapper.
Speaking of wxWidgets (wxWindows), as soon as I discovered D, I thought how great it would be to use D together with wxWidgets. Unfortunately, wxWidgets is written in C++. I was wondering if it would be possible to build a translator to port the C++ code to D. I don't even think you would have to port it to "D style". Instead use non-GC memory allocation, C-style declaration where possible, etc. But I guess that is not practical based on was was said in the thread titled "inner classes". :-( Jim
May 28 2005
parent reply J C Calvarese<technocrat7 gmail.com> writes:
In article <d7bc31$1pj7$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Jim H says...
"Brad Beveridge" <brad somewhere.net> wrote in message
news:d77ots$20ms$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 I would suggest that either wxWindows or Gtk+ would make good backends for
 a D UI wrapper.
Speaking of wxWidgets (wxWindows), as soon as I discovered D, I thought how great it would be to use D together with wxWidgets. Unfortunately, wxWidgets is written in C++.
I don't know how they did it, but there's a project called wxD that attempts to bridge wxWidgets and D: http://wxd.sourceforge.net/ This might also be interesting to you: http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?wxD jcc7
May 28 2005
parent "Jim H" <jhewesNOSPAM ix.netcom.com> writes:
"J C Calvarese" <technocrat7 gmail.com> wrote in message
news:d7bcuq$1q63$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 In article <d7bc31$1pj7$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Jim H says...

 I don't know how they did it, but there's a project called wxD that
 attempts to
 bridge wxWidgets and D: http://wxd.sourceforge.net/

 This might also be interesting to you:
 http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?wxD

 jcc7
I had seen that. But I'm not sure the status or whether it will be actively maintained. I assume it's not a full, manual port of the library since it says it is "wxWidgets bindings for D language". I'm not sure exactly what that involves. I wonder if it makes sense to talk about a common way to link different languages. Of course this was the point of COM on Windows, and it works. But it's pretty complicated. You need to read a book in order to really understand how to make a COM component. Then there is .NET which is a simpler way for different languages to link. But now you need to compile to bytecode and run on a virtual machine. Performance suffers. So is there any way it makes sense to have a way for different languages to link together, which is as simple to use as .NET, but also allows the speed of native compilation and no VM? Or does this not make sense? Jim
May 29 2005
prev sibling parent reply "TechnoZeus" <TechnoZeus PeoplePC.com> writes:
"bobef" <bobef_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:d77n8d$1vir$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 I think the anwer is that D is a programming language not a library for
 windows... But it would be cool if windows was better supported... Current
win32
 headers are more like win16 or at most win95...

 In article <d77mve$1vav$1 digitaldaemon.com>, TechnoZeus says...
Does anyone know if there are any plans to eventually have native Windows
support in the D language?

By this I mean, not having to import modules from another language (such as C)
to write a Windows program.

There are several reasons why I ask, but before I get into any of them here,
I would just like to know if such a thing is planned at all.

TZ
Being a language doesn't preclude native support for anything, at any level. It's a matter of choice. I was just wondering if anyone knew of any plans for such support, mainly. As it stands now, I know of no way to write even the simplest Windows program without having to fall back on the use of some other "language" to do it. That's not to say that it cant't be done... just that I don't know of a way. I have been trying for some time now to write a simple file utinity for GenePool4 entirely in the D language, but I can't even figure out how to do something simple like open a file dialog to get a filename. TZ
May 27 2005
parent reply Trevor Parscal <Trevor_member pathlink.com> writes:
As it stands now, I know of no way to write even the simplest Windows program
without
having to fall back on the use of some other "language" to do it.  That's not
to say that it cant't be done...
just that I don't know of a way.
Windows was written in C, so anything you do with native windows is going to have to interface with C code. Correct me if I am wrong...
I have been trying for some time now to write a simple file utinity for
GenePool4 entirely in the D language,
but I can't even figure out how to do something simple like open a file dialog
to get a filename.
Native controls like that require the use of the native C headers, like windows.h and winuser.h. Luckily we have people who made windows bindings in D. Check out Core32 on dsource.org Thanks, Trevor Parscal www.trevorparscal.com trevorparscal hotmail.com
May 27 2005
parent reply "TechnoZeus" <TechnoZeus PeoplePC.com> writes:
"Trevor Parscal" <Trevor_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:d77ute$24uf$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]
No, that's actually not correct, although the way the API documentation is written I can understand how it may lead people to such a conclusion. Over the years, many languages have been involved in the writing of Windows, probably being used for most of the new stuff. (Anyone from Microsoft care to jump in here?) The question here is mainly one of whether D is to be considered a fully functional programming language in it's own right, or merely a tool to augment programming in the C language. Of course, the answer may be a matter of opinion, and largely subject to the observer's platform of choice. I personally would like to see it succede as a full featured programming language on all targeted platforms, and then some. TZ
May 28 2005
next sibling parent reply Carlos Santander <csantander619 gmail.com> writes:
TechnoZeus escribió:

 No, that's actually not correct, although the way the API documentation is
written I can
 understand how it may lead people to such a conclusion.

 Over the years, many languages have been involved in the writing of Windows,

probably being
 used for most of the new stuff.  (Anyone from Microsoft care to jump in here?)

sorry, but I disagree with you here.

Carlos Santander escribió:
 TechnoZeus escribió:

 No, that's actually not correct, although the way the API
 documentation is written I can
 understand how it may lead people to such a conclusion.

 Over the years, many languages have been involved in the writing of
 Windows,
 and I'm not sure what it's primarily written in now, but I would guess

 used for most of the new stuff.  (Anyone from Microsoft care to jump
 in here?)
sorry, but I disagree with you here.
Small correction: Java doesn't use native controls but MSIL does. Still, they both run on a virtual machine, and that makes them not native.
 The question here is mainly one of whether D is to be considered a
 fully functional programming language in it's own right,
 or merely a tool to augment programming in the C language.
 Of course, the answer may be a matter of opinion, and largely subject to
 the observer's platform of choice. I personally would like to see it
 succede
 as a full featured programming language on all targeted platforms,
 and then some.

 TZ
-- Carlos Santander Bernal
May 28 2005
next sibling parent =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Thomas_K=FChne?= <thomas-dloop kuehne.THISISSPAM.cn> writes:
May 28 2005
prev sibling parent reply "TechnoZeus" <TechnoZeus PeoplePC.com> writes:
"Carlos Santander" <csantander619 gmail.com> wrote in message
news:d7a2qb$tc7$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Carlos Santander escribió:
 TechnoZeus escribió:

[...]

Perhaps this has changed since I last looked at it, the plan was to make MSIL the primary compilation target platform whether that support is filtered through a virtual machine, emulated, run on an MSIL compatible microprocessor, interpreted, or whatever. I would like to see the D language do so also... or at least natively support development of GUI based applications, even if only in a generic sense. In fact, I would actually preffer it to be somewhat generic, because it is easier that way to write cross-platform GUI based applications and then compile them for each target platform. TZ
May 30 2005
parent reply Lars Ivar Igesund <larsivar igesund.net> writes:
TechnoZeus wrote:

 regardless of whether that support is filtered through a virtual machine,
 emulated, run on an MSIL compatible microprocessor,
 interpreted, or whatever.
No, support for windows is provided through the Forms-library and siblings. Recent criticisms of the Forms-library says that it mostly is wrapper around the C functions of Windows, which are mostly available for D through import-files and wrappers.

Yes, through it's libraries.
 I would like to see the D language do so also... or at least natively
 support development of GUI based applications, even if only in a generic
 sense. In fact, I would actually preffer it to be somewhat generic,
 because it is easier that way to write cross-platform GUI based
 applications and then compile them for each target platform.
All this boils down to the discussion about having a standard-GUI-library in Phobos, or not. IMO, not, just because a GUI-library will be many times larger than the rest of phobos. Lars Ivar Igesund
May 30 2005
parent reply "TechnoZeus" <TechnoZeus PeoplePC.com> writes:
"Lars Ivar Igesund" <larsivar igesund.net> wrote in message
news:d7ej4s$1h0m$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 TechnoZeus wrote:

[...]

compile Windows programs without "me" having to specify ANY libraries. Yes, I know the compiler had to call them... but I didn't. The same goes for Visual Basic, for that matter, and if I'm not mistaken, also for Delphi. I'm sure more could be added to that list, but my point is... I would like D to be in the list. TZ

 TechnoZeus wrote:

 regardless of whether that support is filtered through a virtual
 machine, emulated, run on an MSIL compatible microprocessor,
 interpreted, or whatever.
No, support for windows is provided through the Forms-library and interface. Recent criticisms of the Forms-library says that it mostly is wrapper around the C functions of Windows, which are mostly available for D through import-files and wrappers.

Yes, through it's libraries.
 I would like to see the D language do so also... or at least natively
 support development of GUI based applications, even if only in a
 generic sense. In fact, I would actually preffer it to be somewhat
 generic, because it is easier that way to write cross-platform GUI
 based applications and then compile them for each target platform.
All this boils down to the discussion about having a standard-GUI-library in Phobos, or not. IMO, not, just because a GUI-library will be many times larger than the rest of phobos. Lars Ivar Igesund
compile Windows programs without "me" having to specify ANY libraries. Yes, I know the compiler had to call them... but I didn't.
Yes, the compiler does the work for you. This has absolutely nothing with the language itself. To have such functionality in the compiler and crossplatform is quite a lot of work, and is the reason for all the extra utils out there (build, etc). (it was simple, but it had to be done), so in the case of .Net, it is more of a case of having a very large standard library compared to the rather small phobos. Lars Ivar Igesund
May 30 2005
next sibling parent reply "TechnoZeus" <TechnoZeus PeoplePC.com> writes:
"Lars Ivar Igesund" <larsivar igesund.net> wrote in message
news:d7eldn$1iuj$1 digitaldaemon.com...

 TechnoZeus wrote:

[...]

It has everything to do with the language if it's in the language specification. The C language doesn't include support for GUI based applications, so in C it has nothing to do with the language and everything to do with workarounds and extensions... but that's "the C way". TZ
May 30 2005
parent reply Carlos Santander <Carlos_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <d7em2q$1kc9$1 digitaldaemon.com>, TechnoZeus says...
"Lars Ivar Igesund" <larsivar igesund.net> wrote in message
news:d7eldn$1iuj$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Yes, the compiler does the work for you. This has absolutely nothing with
 the language itself. To have such functionality in the compiler and
 crossplatform is quite a lot of work, and is the reason for all the extra
 utils out there (build, etc).

 (it was simple, but it had to be done), so in the case of .Net, it is more
 of a case of having a very large standard library compared to the rather
 small phobos.

 Lars Ivar Igesund
It has everything to do with the language if it's in the language specification. The C language doesn't include support for GUI based applications, so in C it has nothing to do with the language and everything to do with workarounds and extensions... but that's "the C way". TZ
http://www.jaggersoft.com/csharp_standard/toc.htm. Also see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_Sharp_programming_language and notice how in "Language features" there's no mention of Forms. -- Carlos Santander Bernal
May 30 2005
parent reply "TechnoZeus" <TechnoZeus PeoplePC.com> writes:
"Carlos Santander" <Carlos_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:d7f6v1$26hg$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]

Okay, it's been a while but here's how I remember it... Functionality was placed into namespaces. For example, int was an alias for System.Int32 and bool was an alias for System.boolean but it was possible to specify a namespace with the using statement so functionality in that namespace could be used without full qualification. In other words, you could specify something like... using System; using System.Reflection; and then anything in the System namespace or the System.Reflection namespace could be used with that part of it's fully qualified name stripped off. For console applications, you had to specify that you were using the System.Console namespace if you wanted to avoid having to type things like... System.Console.WriteLine("hello"); and instead be able to simply type... WriteLine("hello"); and likewise, if you wanted Windows style forms, you had to either specify a namespace with the using statement, such as in... using System.WinForms; to keep from having to fully qualify something like... System.Winforms.TextBox textbox1; and instead be able to qualify a text box names textbox1 as simply... TextBox textbox1; I don't recall ever having to specify a library to use for such things. Perhaps the namespaces automatically told the compiler what libraries to use, but if so, the process was transparent to me as a programmer. applications. True, it could be said that neither was fully native, but only one short line of text was needed to make one or the other "seem" native to the language... and no further mention of it was needed anywhere, at any time. (which I haven't looked at in years until just now)... http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/csspec/html/CSharpSpecStart.asp under Introduction -> Getting Started... the following example program is given... using System; class Hello { static void Main() { Console.WriteLine("hello, world"); } } and to compile it, you would use a command like.... csc hello.cs No need to separately link it to anything. The line... Console.WriteLine("hello, world"); could just as easily be replaced with... Credits.Display(); and again, no linking needs to be specified to compile it into a working program. In fact, one could just as easily specify... using System; using System.Web; using System.Web.UI; language, again, without any need to specify anything more than those three lines... anywhere, at any time. When I think about it, yeah... you're probably right. Libraries were most likely being used... but a thin disguise over that fact meant that I never had to think about it. Likewise, I would guess that libraries are likely being used in Visual Basic when a control or container is dropped into an application... but the programmer never has to think about that to use the control or container. That's what I'm trying to encourage here... to have the D language allow programmers to concentrate on programming... rather than on putting together the pieces that support the program. That's the whole idea behind higher level languages. Otherwise, we might as well be writing everything in assembly code. TZ
May 30 2005

 {
   static void Main() {
      Console.WriteLine("hello, world");

 and to compile it, you would use a command like....
 csc hello.cs

 No need to separately link it to anything.
System library, making it appear seamless. Venture out into Windows Forms or Web Services, and you have to tell the compiler to link to the libraries that contain their functionality.
 The line...
 Console.WriteLine("hello, world");
 could just as easily be replaced with...
 Credits.Display();
 and again, no linking needs to be specified to compile it into a working
 program.

 In fact, one could just as easily specify...

 using System;
 using System.Web;
 using System.Web.UI;

 and then go on to write an application as if HTML support was native to

 again, without any need to specify anything more than those three lines...
 anywhere, at any time.

 When I think about it, yeah... you're probably right.
 Libraries were most likely being used... but a thin disguise over that
 fact meant that I never had to think about it.
 Likewise, I would guess that libraries are likely being used in Visual
 Basic when a control or container is dropped into an application...
 but the programmer never has to think about that to use the control or
 container.
Ok, I can see how you could interpret things that way. But these are namespaces from the .NET Base Class Library. They're libraries, just as for you (System, for example), but for others (such as System.Drawing and System.Windows.Forms) you'd still need to reference them manually. If you use Visual Studio, it has templates that automate this process, so perhaps that's why it appeared as though all the work was done for you. The indeed relies on them for its basic types, as you mention; but D relies on some Phobos functionality. I don't see much difference in that respect.
 That's what I'm trying to encourage here... to have the D language allow
 programmers to concentrate on programming...
 rather than on putting together the pieces that support the program.
 That's the whole idea behind higher level languages.
 Otherwise, we might as well be writing everything in assembly code.

 TZ

May 30 2005
parent "TechnoZeus" <TechnoZeus PeoplePC.com> writes:
"John C" <johnch_atms hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:d7fsok$2sms$1 digitaldaemon.com...
*snip*

 System library, making it appear seamless. Venture out into Windows Forms or
 Web Services, and you have to tell the compiler to link to the libraries
 that contain their functionality.
*snip*
 Ok, I can see how you could interpret things that way. But these are
 namespaces from the .NET Base Class Library. They're libraries, just as

 for you (System, for example), but for others (such as System.Drawing and
 System.Windows.Forms) you'd still need to reference them manually. If you
 use Visual Studio, it has templates that automate this process, so perhaps
 that's why it appeared as though all the work was done for you. The

 indeed relies on them for its basic types, as you mention; but D relies on
 some Phobos functionality. I don't see much difference in that respect.
Okay, as I've said.. it's been a while. I haven't used a "release version" of so it is entirely concievable that such things have changed somewhat. the D language be stepped up a notch to provide basic functionality at it's core that the C language does not. Functionality that has been standardized to the point that it could be included in the D language without making any part of the language platform spoecific (as the "built-in assembler does, at this point). I'm not asking for much... in my opinion. I'm also not seeing people say that they would dislike having such basic functionality included in the D language... but rather that people are not "used to it" at this point. So, I'll start a new thread (for the sake of those who don't follow old threads, and ask straight out... if it were POSSIBLE, would anyone besides me like to see basic GUI functionality built into the D language? (please answer in the new thread, "Basic GUI functionality in the D language") TZ
May 30 2005
prev sibling parent reply Carlos Santander <csantander619 gmail.com> writes:
TechnoZeus escribió:

 Okay, it's been a while but here's how I remember it...

 Functionality was placed into namespaces.
 For example, int was an alias for System.Int32 and bool was an alias for
System.boolean
whereas System.Int32 and System.Boolean (or Bool, I don't remember) are the same. They did that because they thought that would be enought for their (initial) lack of generics.
[...]

I could be reading too much, but from what you've said so far, it is to my impression that you think that D doesn't have real support for GUI based applications, but it has support for console based. If that's not correct, then my following argument is pointless, but if it's true then I think you're wrong: either D has support for both console and GUI applications or has no support for either. We've already told you how to do GUI applications: interfacing with C libraries. But have you thought how D does console output? Either with printf/putc/puts/etc which are C functions or with writef, which in turn calls putc. -- Carlos Santander Bernal
May 30 2005
parent "TechnoZeus" <TechnoZeus PeoplePC.com> writes:
news:d7g5hh$38u$1 digitaldaemon.com...

 --
 Carlos Santander Bernal
Again, it has been a while. Perhaps things have changed. What I know of it is that Int32 is a structure of the .NET framework, and that at one point in time this was done by means of making int and alias for Int32, but I don't know whether or not it is currently derived in the same way. Anyway, it's unimportant.... and getting off-subject. As for your impression, I would have to say that it is off, but not way off. I am not saying that D lacks "real support" for either console or GUI applications. What I am saying is that to my knowledge it lacks "any native" support for GUI based applications. Native support for console based or "text based" applications is sparse, but does exist, and Phobos augments them nicely... but GUI application development is litterally foreign to D at this point, with the GUI portions of such applications having to rely on sparsely available and for the most part questionably functional external libraries most of which neither written in nor for the D language. Know of a good exception to this? If so, I would love to see it... but either way the fact still remains, that the D language could benefit from some core support for such things as menus and controls, which are so commonly used in GUI based applications. Of, and by the way... printf was buggy when used in D, last I checked, so I generally use writef instead... which isn't a C function at all. (Correct me if I'm wrong here, Walter.) TZ
prev sibling parent reply J C Calvarese<technocrat7 gmail.com> writes:
In article <d7eldn$1iuj$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Lars Ivar Igesund says...
TechnoZeus wrote:

 "Lars Ivar Igesund" <larsivar igesund.net> wrote in message
 news:d7ej4s$1h0m$1 digitaldaemon.com...
..

 compile Windows programs without "me" having to specify ANY
 libraries.  Yes, I know the compiler had to call them... but I didn't.
Yes, the compiler does the work for you. This has absolutely nothing with the language itself. To have such functionality in the compiler and crossplatform is quite a lot of work, and is the reason for all the extra utils out there (build, etc). (it was simple, but it had to be done), so in the case of .Net, it is more of a case of having a very large standard library compared to the rather small phobos. Lars Ivar Igesund
autmatic library magic only happens within the Visual Studio IDE, but I have to specify the .dll's and imports if I use the command-line compiler instead. Otherwise I get a bunch of compile-time errors (just like I would in D). jcc7
May 30 2005
parent "TechnoZeus" <TechnoZeus PeoplePC.com> writes:
news:d7fmnf$2mt1$1 digitaldaemon.com...
TechnoZeus wrote:

[...]

Ah, okay. Now that I didn't know... or from a single context menu click (if you set it up that way) without having to specify any libraries for such things as controls, forms, containers, console, basic input/output, etc. TZ
May 30 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent reply J C Calvarese<technocrat7 gmail.com> writes:
In article <d79cpe$dil$1 digitaldaemon.com>, TechnoZeus says...

..

No, that's actually not correct, although the way the API documentation is
written I can
understand how it may lead people to such a conclusion.

Over the years, many languages have been involved in the writing of Windows,

probably being
used for most of the new stuff.  (Anyone from Microsoft care to jump in here?)
not sure that it has), it's only been very recently. What else has been used? Do HTML, CSS, and RTF count? It doesn't seem likely that Microsoft used Java. Perhaps they used a little VB. I'm sure they used some assembler, but it was probably inline in a C program.
The question here is mainly one of whether D is to be considered a
fully functional programming language in it's own right,
or merely a tool to augment programming in the C language.
Of course, the answer may be a matter of opinion, and largely subject to
the observer's platform of choice. I personally would like to see it succede
as a full featured programming language on all targeted platforms,
and then some.
What do you want added to D (or changed about D) to achieve this goal? What are you proposing? I think D is already well-suited to be considered "a full featured programming language". The only thing holding back D is the absence of Visual D as part of Microsoft's Visual Studio (don't hold your breath). jcc7
May 28 2005
parent reply Trevor Parscal <Trevor_member pathlink.com> writes:
The question here is mainly one of whether D is to be considered a
fully functional programming language in it's own right,
or merely a tool to augment programming in the C language.
Of course, the answer may be a matter of opinion, and largely subject to
the observer's platform of choice. I personally would like to see it succede
as a full featured programming language on all targeted platforms,
and then some.
I guess some people won't think a language is legit until microsoft steals it. :) I am very impressed with how much everyone has to say about GUIs here. I think it surprised me that so many of you guys actually are interested so much in GUI development. I think we should start working together to come up with a really solid idea for the standard D GUI toolkit and than use our combined knowledge and resources to make it a reality. D could use it, and we could all use it. My initial proposal for this new stanrdard GUI toolkit... Basic Controls that end up working out to be the OS's native widgets, not look alikes. So on mac the scrollbar class will actually abstract a mac scrollbar, and one windows it will abstract a windows one, not just use a differnt drawing routine. Strong OpenGL support. This ends up being very useful for people who are making their own GUI's or multimedia apps, but still want direct, and cross platfor, access to a file open or a menu system. Polled events. I for one am not a fan of callbacks being used for every little thing on earth. I am rewriting Cpw in D right now, and thats the first thing I am changing. I would love to hear peoples opinions about this... I have many more ideas, but thats a start. Ideas? Thanks, Trevor Parscal www.trevorparscal.com trevorparscal hotmail.com
May 28 2005
parent reply "TechnoZeus" <TechnoZeus PeoplePC.com> writes:
"Trevor Parscal" <Trevor_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:d7ab8i$1379$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]
Thank you so much... not for the uncalled for and inaccurate insult, but for your wonderful explanation of what I have been "trying to say" here. That is exactly what I'm talking about... except to hopefully become an integral part of the D language, rather than an optional add-on. Sure, you can "compute" without GUI controls, but that's obviously not the full extent of what programs are expected (by most people) to do these days. I would just like to see the Dlanguage specification have built in support for the "concept" of GUI based appications, with the idea being that a D compiler for a specific platform would be able to compile a simple working GUI based application in a single step, without the need for anything other than... the operating system and computer to run the compiler on, a D source file written by the application developer, and the files that came in the compiler's installation package. TZ
May 30 2005
parent reply J C Calvarese<technocrat7 gmail.com> writes:
In article <d7ej1d$1gsd$1 digitaldaemon.com>, TechnoZeus says...
[...]
What was the insult there? I've read it 3 times and I don't see it. It seems like a call for cooperation and fewer petty arguments. I don't see how that's an insult.
but for your wonderful explanation of what I have been "trying to say" here.
.. jcc7
May 30 2005
parent reply "TechnoZeus" <TechnoZeus PeoplePC.com> writes:
"J C Calvarese" <technocrat7 gmail.com> wrote in message
news:d7fn1r$2n9h$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]
Perhaps I misunderstood. I had thought the line... "I guess some people won't think a language is legit until microsoft steals it." was directed at me. If so... I consider that an insult. If not... then I apologise for the incorrect assumption, and I agree that unfortunately yes some people do feel that way. As for cooperation and fewer petty arguments... I'm all for it. :) TZ
May 30 2005
parent reply Trevor Parscal <Trevor_member pathlink.com> writes:
"I guess some people won't think a language is legit until microsoft steals it."
was ONLY directed at being a JOKE.. I would never insult TechnoZeus. Unless he punched me or something, cause than he would have it comming :) (< Also a joke) My point is that many people thought Java was not ligitmate for a very long time for instance, and it FINNALY proved itself after years and years of refinment and proof of concept in the faithful developer's work. Just seems to me that people cling to them for whatever reason. But, I do NOT assume such about anyone who is working with D at such an early stage... I mean, how much faith do we all show in D to spend so much time? And microsoft is FAR from owning it.. And yes, the call for more cooperation, and less argument of petty issues. Can we turn that into a project? I will sign up for it! Thanks, Trevor Parscal www.trevorparscal.com trevorparscal hotmail.com
May 30 2005
parent "TechnoZeus" <TechnoZeus PeoplePC.com> writes:
"Trevor Parscal" <Trevor_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:d7fuvj$2uo2$1 digitaldaemon.com...

*snip*
 was ONLY directed at being a JOKE.. I would never insult TechnoZeus. Unless he
 punched me or something, cause than he would have it comming :) (< Also a joke)
*snip*
 And yes, the call for more cooperation, and less argument of petty issues. Can
 we turn that into a project?

 I will sign up for it!

 Thanks,
 Trevor Parscal
 www.trevorparscal.com
 trevorparscal hotmail.com
Okay... sorry for taking your joke seriously. No tone of voice in text, tends to lead to such misunderstandings occasionally. That's why emoticons are so nice. :) My apologies for the misinterpretation of your jest. As we both know, the issue it addressed is a very serious one... but yes, there is humor in it also. I've often wondered why a sense of humor isn't considered one of our major senses. After all, without one a person tends to miss out on most of the world. Yep... sounds like a project I've been signed up for most of my life now. Not sure who's got the list, but I'm sure I'm on it somewhere. :) TZ
May 31 2005
prev sibling parent reply "John C" <johnch_atms hotmail.com> writes:
"TechnoZeus" <TechnoZeus PeoplePC.com> wrote in message
news:d79cpe$dil$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]
No, that's actually not correct, although the way the API documentation is written I can understand how it may lead people to such a conclusion. Over the years, many languages have been involved in the writing of Windows, is probably being used for most of the new stuff. (Anyone from Microsoft care to jump in here?)
Surely it doesn't matter what language Windows is written in, only what language the public API is. And that's C. Even those parts of Windows not written in C (COM/ActiveX, GDI+) have a C API. Microsoft's Raymond Chen blogs frequently about the internals of Windows http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/ None of the Win32 API accesses CLR bits. Microsoft's forthcoming Avalon and Indigo are only relevant in a CLR environment. Perhaps this is what you meant by "the new stuff". The next version of Windows, for example, will not
 The question here is mainly one of whether D is to be considered a
 fully functional programming language in it's own right,
 or merely a tool to augment programming in the C language.
Any language that needs to access operating system functionality has to interface with a public API. For Windows, that's generally C, as I've said above. It makes no difference if that language is C++, D, Delphi, Visual Basic or Eiffel. You're going to need to call down to C.
 Of course, the answer may be a matter of opinion, and largely subject to
 the observer's platform of choice. I personally would like to see it
 succede
 as a full featured programming language on all targeted platforms,
 and then some.

 TZ

May 29 2005
parent reply "TechnoZeus" <TechnoZeus PeoplePC.com> writes:
"John C" <johnch_atms hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:d7ckge$2m20$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]

True, a compiled Windows application needs to communicate with the Windows API, but that does not mean the application's source code needs to be written any differently for Windows than for any other GUI to get basic GUI functionality, and it definately doesn't mean that the application developer should have to specify in the source code or in any compiler command that any C files or header files or library files or DLLs have to be used to make the application work. That's what I mean by "native support" is to be able to simply write for the targer platform and compile... and get a working application. Not an assortment of error messages due to a failure to import or link-in some foreign item. TZ
May 30 2005
parent reply "John C" <johnch_atms hotmail.com> writes:
 True, a compiled Windows application needs to communicate with the Windows
 API,
 but that does not mean the application's source code needs to be written
 any differently
 for Windows than for any other GUI to get basic GUI functionality, and it
 definately doesn't mean
 that the application developer should have to specify in the source code
 or in any compiler command
 that any C files or header files or library files or DLLs have to be used
 to make the application work.

 That's what I mean by "native support" is to be able to simply write for
 the targer platform and compile...
 and get a working application.  Not an assortment of error messages due to
 failure to import or link-in some foreign item.
I think I understand now. D does this to remain compatible with C, which is one of the language's main aims. Some other languages don't link directly with OS APIs, they accomplish such calls at runtime at a cost to nowhere near as efficient (and you still need to specifiy which DLL you're importing a function from). It has its own problems, too: it's blown up in my face many times.
 TZ
May 30 2005
parent "TechnoZeus" <TechnoZeus PeoplePC.com> writes:
"John C" <johnch_atms hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:d7emor$1l3a$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]

Well, perhaps I'm asking too much... but I hope not. All I really am asking for is what I consider basic functionality. Okay, so different people consider different functionality to be basic. There was a time when floating point operations "always" required special routines. Such times are, fortunately, behind us now. I see the ability to open a common dialog box to browse for a file as basic functionality in today's world. I also see the ability to specify items on a menu and have their activation trigger an event as basic functionality in today's world. I see detecting a mouse click to be as basic as detecting a keystroke, in today's world. Customized controls, I don't yet see as basic functionality... but I do see them as things that should be easy to assemble from basic GUI or SGML functionality. TZ
May 30 2005