digitalmars.D - Is D Language on .Net CLR a fantasy?

reply Steve Hite <Steve_member pathlink.com> writes:
I certainly don't have the programming skills to do the task in a reasonable
amount of time but I think you get a whole bunch of growth and appreciation for
what Walter has created by being able to have the D Language on par with VB.Net,

Walter, I've followed your work since the first Zortech C++ compiler and I swear
you are one of the most the prolific compiler/language deveopers the programming
community has ever seen.   IMO, the D Language needs a leverage like the .Net
Framework can provide.  I truly wish I had the requisite skills because I'd do

Continued success,

Steve
May 23 2005
parent "Jim H" <jhewesNOSPAM ix.netcom.com> writes:
"Steve Hite" <Steve_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:d6togc$2ab0$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 I certainly don't have the programming skills to do the task in a
 reasonable
 amount of time but I think you get a whole bunch of growth and
 appreciation for
 what Walter has created by being able to have the D Language on par with
 VB.Net,

If I were going to write a program to run on the .NET platform, I think I'd I like D because it has modern language features (garbage collection, no header files, no preprocessor, etc) and it's also a system level language. For example, on Windows there are "drivers" which run in user mode rather than kernel mode. You could use D to write something like this and it would fast enough. An advantage of D is that it compiles directly to native code and is fast. If you were to build a version of D for .NET, then I think it would be But perhaps just creating such a thing might get D more notoriety. It might be worth it just for that. And perhaps having a language that is portable that. Jim
May 24 2005