digitalmars.D - obj == null is an exception?

reply "Ben Harper" <ben gls.co.za> writes:
How does one test if an object is null?
obj == null throws an exception!
Surely this contravenes the norm quite significantly!
May 13 2005
next sibling parent reply "Ben Harper" <ben gls.co.za> writes:
I expect the answer is going to be "use exceptions".
This makes me sad. I have been quite excited about D. But look at the
following:

MsBaseWindow wnd = WindowTable.Get( hWnd );
if ( wnd != NULL )
  dosomething();
else
  dosomethingelse();

Now-- with exceptions I have to say

try
{
  MsBaseWindow wnd = WindowTable.Get( hWnd );
  dosomething();
}
catch( object o )
{
  dosomethingelse();
}

1. The exception method is more code.
2. In the above method i know exactly what the problem is: There is no
window associated with the hWnd.
3. In the exceptioned method anything could have gone wrong. It tells me
less.

"Ben Harper" <ben gls.co.za> wrote in message
news:d621cn$21pf$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 How does one test if an object is null?
 obj == null throws an exception!
 Surely this contravenes the norm quite significantly!

May 13 2005
next sibling parent reply Peter Mackay <a_pointy_stick.NoJunkMail yahoo.co.uk> writes:
There are a few more operators for this kind of thing, since == and !=
compare the objects, not the references.

	if (object !== null) // note double ==.
	if (object === null) // note triple ===.

or

	if (!(object is null))

etc

Peter

parent reply Lars Ivar Igesund <larsivar igesund.net> writes:
Peter Mackay wrote:

 There are a few more operators for this kind of thing, since == and !=
 compare the objects, not the references.

 if (object !== null) // note double ==.
 if (object === null) // note triple ===.
Note that this syntax has been removed from the docs. Lars Ivar Igesund
May 13 2005
parent Peter Mackay <a_pointy_stick.NoJunkMail yahoo.co.uk> writes:
 Note that this syntax has been removed from the docs.
Ah, !== and === are deprecated? If so, I'll update my code. Sorry for the dodgy advice Ben. Peter
May 13 2005
prev sibling parent Lars Ivar Igesund <larsivar igesund.net> writes:
Nope, D differentiates between equality and identity, see
http://www.digitalmars.com/d/expression.html
and scroll down to "Identity Expressions".

Basically you use != and == to compare values (and in your example below
that is the values of the references). To check for identity use 'is', like

if (obj is null) { ... }
else if (!(obj is null)) { ... }

Lars Ivar Igesund

Ben Harper wrote:

[...]

prev sibling parent "Ben Harper" <ben gls.co.za> writes:
Terribly sorry!
Something I saw earlier threw me into the assumption that classes were
implicitly *.

Apologies!