digitalmars.D - Wikipedia: the D Programming Language

reply "Walter" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
The Wikipedia is a totally cool project (wish I'd thought of it!). The entry

care to take a whack at it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D_programming_language
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_programming_language
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_Sharp_programming_language
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_Plus_Plus
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_programming_language
May 12 2005
next sibling parent reply "Lynn Allan" <l_d_allan adelphia.net> writes:
 The Wikipedia is a totally cool project (wish I'd thought of it!).
Agreed. The whole idea of wiki's for project documentation is mind-blogg'ling. From the Wikipedia webpage: "It was switched from UseModWiki software ("Phase I") to new software, written especially for wikipedia using the PHP programming language, on January 25, 2002 ("Phase II"); in June 2002 it was replaced by what is now called MediaWiki." I've pondered that a target audience of D would be replacing the underlying software in successful projects like wiki. They start off with interpreted languages like PHP, Perl, Ruby, Java, VB, etc. and then become a big hit and tax the capabilities of the language. The developers are in the position to evaluate a replacement language to re-engineer the software, and D would have a lot of advantages. My impression is that the developers on such projects would seem to be, as a gross generalization, anti-C / anti-C++. Is that somewhat the intention of DScript?
May 13 2005
"Lynn Allan" <l_d_allan adelphia.net> wrote in message
news:d6253i$24cf$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Is that somewhat the intention of DScript?
No, all DScript is is a faster implementation of standard Javascript.
May 13 2005
parent reply "B.G." <gbatyan gmx.net> writes:
Walter wrote:
 "Lynn Allan" <l_d_allan adelphia.net> wrote in message
 news:d6253i$24cf$1 digitaldaemon.com...

Is that somewhat the intention of DScript?
No, all DScript is is a faster implementation of standard Javascript.
I've recently compared SpiderMonkey (mozilla's Javascript engine) with DMDScript. Although they claim and aim at being severely optimized, my test results were just AMAZING. First I've compared command line spidermonkey version (shipped together with the sm's source code). Running sieve test always took spidermonkey around TWICE as long as DMDScript to complete ! What's more surprising, is that sieve.html took mozilla 4 TIMES as long as DMDScript to complete. (tested with firefox on linux) Though to be strict the first comparison is a more fair to SpiderMonkey, I don't know, maybe there's an important reason for the javascript run in a browser to have a worse performance, probably security, etc) But still, this engine simply ROCKS!
May 13 2005
"B.G." <gbatyan gmx.net> wrote in message
news:d62oj1$2jat$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 I've recently compared SpiderMonkey (mozilla's Javascript engine)
 with DMDScript. Although they claim and aim at being severely optimized,
 my test results were just AMAZING.

 First I've compared command line spidermonkey version (shipped together
 with the sm's source code). Running sieve test always took spidermonkey
 around TWICE as long as DMDScript to complete !

 What's more surprising, is that sieve.html took mozilla 4 TIMES as long
 as DMDScript to complete. (tested with firefox on linux)
They've improved. DMDScript used to be 20 times faster <g>.

prev sibling next sibling parent reply Stewart Gordon <smjg_1998 yahoo.com> writes:
Walter wrote:
 The Wikipedia is a totally cool project (wish I'd thought of it!). The entry

 care to take a whack at it?

 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D_programming_language
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_programming_language
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_Sharp_programming_language
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_Plus_Plus
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_programming_language
Wikipedia seems to be well and truly down at the moment. And even OpenFacts (which holds a Wikipedia status page) is being a bit dodgy. Hopefully it'll be up again soon.... Stewart. -- My e-mail is valid but not my primary mailbox. Please keep replies on the 'group where everyone may benefit.
May 13 2005
parent Lars Ivar Igesund <larsivar igesund.net> writes:
Stewart Gordon wrote:

 Walter wrote:
 The Wikipedia is a totally cool project (wish I'd thought of it!). The

 Anyone care to take a whack at it?

 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D_programming_language
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_programming_language
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_Sharp_programming_language
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_Plus_Plus
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_programming_language
Wikipedia seems to be well and truly down at the moment. And even OpenFacts (which holds a Wikipedia status page) is being a bit dodgy. Hopefully it'll be up again soon.... Stewart.
It probably will. the growth in content and traffic is rather incredible and I believe their serverpark (most of it apaches and squids) numbers more than 40. They added 10 just this spring. Also, upgrades to the software, and crashes around the system cause failures quite often which seems to be problematic to guard against for them. It worked fine an hour ago, though. I follow the development of the neonorwegian version fairly close. Lars Ivar Igesund
May 13 2005
prev sibling parent "TechnoZeus" <TechnoZeus PeoplePC.com> writes:
"Walter" <newshound digitalmars.com> wrote in message
news:d60e1c$sab$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 The Wikipedia is a totally cool project (wish I'd thought of it!). The entry

 care to take a whack at it?

 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D_programming_language
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_programming_language
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_Sharp_programming_language
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_Plus_Plus
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_programming_language
Sure, I could take a shot at it when I have some free time... but I'm not sure I'm really qualified, being relatively new to the D Programming Language community. Anyone else care to volunteer? TZ
May 15 2005