digitalmars.D - What is 'is' supposed to tell us?

reply Derek Parnell <derek psych.ward> writes:
I think I was under a misapprehension. I thought that we could use the 'is'
operator to tell us if two objects were in fact the same instantiation or
thing. However, this result below surprised me...

  class Foo{}
  Foo a;
  Foo b;

  writefln("a is b: %s", cast(bool)(a is b != 0));
==> Result ...

  a is b: true

But it's pretty clear to me that a is not b. Even though they are both not
instantiated yet, they are still not the same something. Is this supposed
to happen? <rhetorical> If so, should it be explicitly
documented?</rhetorical>

--
Derek Parnell
Melbourne, Australia
next sibling parent reply Brad Beveridge <brad somewhere.net> writes:
Derek Parnell wrote:
 I think I was under a misapprehension. I thought that we could use the 'is'
 operator to tell us if two objects were in fact the same instantiation or
 thing. However, this result below surprised me...

   class Foo{}
   Foo a;
   Foo b;

   writefln("a is b: %s", cast(bool)(a is b != 0));
 ==> Result ...

   a is b: true

 But it's pretty clear to me that a is not b. Even though they are both not
 instantiated yet, they are still not the same something. Is this supposed
 to happen? <rhetorical> If so, should it be explicitly
 documented?</rhetorical>

Aren't a and b both null? I would think that "null is null" should return true? Also, what is the precidence of the != operator vs "is"? Brad
May 02 2005
parent reply Derek Parnell <derek psych.ward> writes:
 I think I was under a misapprehension. I thought that we could use the 'is'
 operator to tell us if two objects were in fact the same instantiation or
 thing. However, this result below surprised me...

   class Foo{}
   Foo a;
   Foo b;

   writefln("a is b: %s", cast(bool)(a is b != 0));
 ==> Result ...

   a is b: true

 But it's pretty clear to me that a is not b. Even though they are both not
 instantiated yet, they are still not the same something. Is this supposed
 to happen? <rhetorical> If so, should it be explicitly
 documented?</rhetorical>

Aren't a and b both null? I would think that "null is null" should return true?
Yes, they are both null, but that is their *value* not their identity, no?
 Also, what is the precidence of the != operator vs "is"?
The "is" is evaluated before the "!=", otherwise the phrase ... (a is b != 0) would have been interpreted as a is (b != 0) and that won't compile. -- Derek Melbourne, Australia 3/05/2005 10:14:14 AM
May 02 2005