digitalmars.D - Is anyone thinking about exception safety?

reply "Matthew" <admin stlsoft.dot.dot.dot.dot.org> writes:
I'm just working on some stuff with Lars for expanding the Open-RJ/D
library (which will filter to all Open-RJ languages, I'm guessing)
and while going through some of the code it's clear that some of it
is not exception safe. Here's one of the functions we've come up
with, so you can see the problem:

FYI: Open-RJ consists of Databases, with one or more Records, each
of which consists of 0 or more Fields

    class Database
    {
        void addRecord(Record record)
        {
            m_records ~= record;
            foreach(Field field; record)
            {
                m_fields ~= field;
            }
            record.database = this;
        }

Anyone see the problem?

There are multiple allocations for extending the m_records and
m_fields members of Database. If the concat of record onto m_records
succeeds, but an exception is thrown in the opApply of Record, or
one of the m_fields concatenations fails, then Database is invalid.

Obviously some working-to-the-side + swap idiom is required here. Is
anyone taking such things into account, and possibly integrating
such concerns into their code? Naturally this is something that we
should make sure is properly handled in Phobos prior to 1.0
Apr 30 2005
next sibling parent reply Thomas Kuehne <thomas-dloop kuehne.thisisspam.cn> writes:
Apr 30 2005
parent reply "Matthew" <admin stlsoft.dot.dot.dot.dot.org> writes:
"Thomas Kuehne" <thomas-dloop kuehne.thisisspam.cn> wrote in message
news:p9bek2-lv6.ln1 lnews.kuehne.cn...

[...]

Depends. If I am dealing with IO or if opApply is/might be overloaded I try to reduce the damage, otherwise I only use contracts to detect problems.
Not wanting to reignite the irrecoverability debate again, but how do contracts help with exception-safety? I couldn't begin to wonder.
May 01 2005
parent Thomas Kuehne <thomas-dloop kuehne.thisisspam.cn> writes:
May 01 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "Ben Hinkle" <ben.hinkle gmail.com> writes:
"Matthew" <admin stlsoft.dot.dot.dot.dot.org> wrote in message
news:d51rhj$20rp$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]

Good point. I bet phobos hasn't been stressed in low-memory situations. I'll check out std.stream.
May 01 2005
parent "Matthew" <admin stlsoft.dot.dot.dot.dot.org> writes:
"Ben Hinkle" <ben.hinkle gmail.com> wrote in message
news:d52ib1$2ido$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]

Cool. FWIW, I want to stress that I don't see this _in any way_ as a witch-hunt. I doubt that even Walter's fully exception-safe in all cases - if you are Walter, apologies. It's just something we should all start to think about sometime, maybe now, before 1.0 Cheers Matthew
May 01 2005
prev sibling parent Sean Kelly <sean f4.ca> writes:
In article <d51rhj$20rp$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Matthew says...
I'm just working on some stuff with Lars for expanding the Open-RJ/D
library (which will filter to all Open-RJ languages, I'm guessing)
and while going through some of the code it's clear that some of it
is not exception safe.
So far I've just been focusing on exception behavior in the language itself. I posted a number of bug reports and such about exceptions in D, and am waiting on a response before I do much on the library side. As in C++ however, I expect RAII to be the most reasonable method to handle most of these situations... or finally blocks I suppose. Sean
May 02 2005