digitalmars.D - Re: Your feelings

reply Georg Wrede <georg.wrede nospam.org> writes:
Stumbled upon something from 4 years back, which seems extra relevant today:

Title: Re: Your feelings
Author: "Walter" <walter digitalmars.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2001 23:28:12 -0700

kaffiene wrote in message <9lnbua$1drl$1 digitaldaemon.com>...
 That feature list is itself a products of what just "feels right" to
 Walter.  I'd be upset if everything was non-neogtiable on the basis
 of how Walter feels, but it appears to me that he's taking advice
 when there's a good case for a feature.
I've gotten a lot of great ideas from bouncing D off of others, many of which are incorporated. The most difficult part of developing D is saying "no" to some obviously great features. In order to *finish* implementing it I have to be *ruthless and brutal* about the feature set. An Ansi C++ committee delegate told me once how disappointed he was that some members were saying in effect to each other "vote for my feature and I'll vote for your feature." I wish to avoid that. Copyright Newsguy News Service --------------------------- (Above, I added the two emphasises [*...*], Georg Wrede.)
Apr 15 2005

 Author: "Walter" <walter digitalmars.com>
 Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2001 23:28:12 -0700

[...]

A very timely topic. I think part of the confusion (and controversy) is the question of whether D is a few weeks from being stamped as D 1.0 or maybe it's not going to be released until 2006 anyways (so we might as well tinker with everything). I know there are a lot of voices with a lot of opinions on whether D is ready, but Walter's opinion is the most important one when it comes to this subject. (Too bad we don't necessarily know what his opinion is these days.) :( -- jcc7 http://jcc_7.tripod.com/d/
Apr 15 2005