digitalmars.D - [Standalone installer] available

reply "Andreas Schmid" <monkey gmx.info> writes:
Hi,

I made the first release of the standalone installer available at

ftp://81.169.181.155/dmdsetup0120.exe

I don't know if I have Walter's blessing and if there are any
copyright/restriction issues I should be aware of.

It would be nice if we could bundle a tutorial / reference help file in .CHM
format and a compatible IDE in the future.

-Andreas
Apr 15 2005
next sibling parent "Andreas Schmid" <monkey gmx.info> writes:
I don't know how the Wiki works, but it would be nice if someone added a
link to it.

Also, if Walter approves the installer, it would be helpful for beginning
programmers to have a simple download link on D's main page to the
installer.

-Andreas

news:d3o18q$30jt$1 digitaldaemon.com...

prev sibling parent reply =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anders_F_Bj=F6rklund?= <afb algonet.se> writes:
Andreas Schmid wrote:

 I made the first release of the standalone installer available at
 ftp://81.169.181.155/dmdsetup0120.exe
Good work, I like those packaged installations (I've made Linux RPMS)
 I don't know if I have Walter's blessing and if there are any
 copyright/restriction issues I should be aware of.
You should ready the "license.txt" file in the distribution... "The Software is copyrighted and comes with a single user license, and may not be redistributed. If you wish to obtain a redistribution license, please contact Digital Mars." This means that *you* can't offer those packages, only Walter can. However, you could make the source file for Inno Setup available ? Like I posted the specfile for making a RPM package for Linux earlier, http://www.algonet.se/~afb/d/dmd.spec (with a bunch of patches, but)
 It would be nice if we could bundle a tutorial / reference help file in .CHM
 format and a compatible IDE in the future.
Tutorials can be bundled, but the D specification has a similar copyright... So http://www.digitalmars.com/d/ can't be bundled, without a similar permission from the copyright holder ? (DM) But until Walter says otherwise, neither can be redistributed. :-( --anders PS. GDC is distributed under the GNU General Public License (GPL). It uses the DMD front-end, which Walter has made available as GPL. http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html There is also some work done, to make unoffical D documentation available under the similar GNU Free Documentation License (FDL). http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html See http://prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi, for the texts.
Apr 15 2005
next sibling parent reply "Andreas Schmid" <monkey gmx.info> writes:
I don't have the time to read through the license or provide additional
files right now, that will have to wait until the weekend.

I've deactivated the download for the time being until all license issues
are resolved.

Thanks for info & suggestions, Anders.

-Andreas

"Anders F Björklund" <afb algonet.se> wrote in message
news:d3o3re$1ks$1 digitaldaemon.com...

Andreas Schmid wrote:

 I don't have the time to read through the license or provide additional
 files right now, that will have to wait until the weekend.
No problem, that's only like... tomorrow, isn't it ?
 I've deactivated the download for the time being until all license issues
 are resolved.
Sorry to spoil the fun for all... But if the license "problems" are worked out, I will be happy to post .i586.rpm files for DMD ? BTW; Mac OS X installations provided at http://gdcmac.sourceforge.net/, will probably also feature .ppc.rpm for Yellow Dog Linux (PPC)... --anders
Apr 15 2005
parent Georg Wrede <georg.wrede nospam.org> writes:
I think your work on this is just great!

Anders F Björklund wrote:
 Andreas Schmid wrote:

 I don't have the time to read through the license or provide
 additional files right now, that will have to wait until the weekend.
No problem, that's only like... tomorrow, isn't it ?
 I've deactivated the download for the time being until all license
 issues are resolved.
Sorry to spoil the fun for all... But if the license "problems" are worked out, I will be happy to post .i586.rpm files for DMD ? BTW; Mac OS X installations provided at http://gdcmac.sourceforge.net/, will probably also feature .ppc.rpm for Yellow Dog Linux (PPC)... --anders
Apr 15 2005
prev sibling parent reply "TechnoZeus" <TechnoZeus PeoplePC.com> writes:
Another choice would be to offer a "setup" program that wouldn't come with the
actual compiler, but would instead locate it (or ask where it is installed) and
set up Windows (and/or DOS, etc.) to let you use it in that location without
having to "manually" set it up.

Of course, you could also simply ask Walter for permission... or send him the
source code and give him permission to compile and distribute it with DMD.  :)

TZ

parent reply J C Calvarese <jcc7 cox.net> writes:
TechnoZeus wrote:
 Another choice would be to offer a "setup" program that wouldn't come with the
 actual compiler, but would instead locate it (or ask where it is installed)
and
 set up Windows (and/or DOS, etc.) to let you use it in that location without
 having to "manually" set it up.
Yes, that's a good idea. And now that D has zlib and several GUI libraries from which to select, the "D installer" could be written in D. ;) (It might be a good way to avoid writing over one's custom sc.ini with every new release of D: http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/digitalmars/D/12060.html) -- jcc7 http://jcc_7.tripod.com/d/
Apr 16 2005
parent "TechnoZeus" <TechnoZeus PeoplePC.com> writes:
"J C Calvarese" <jcc7 cox.net> wrote in message
news:d3sthg$12mb$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 TechnoZeus wrote:
 Another choice would be to offer a "setup" program that wouldn't come with the
 actual compiler, but would instead locate it (or ask where it is installed) and
 set up Windows (and/or DOS, etc.) to let you use it in that location without
 having to "manually" set it up.
Yes, that's a good idea. And now that D has zlib and several GUI libraries from which to select, the "D installer" could be written in D. ;) (It might be a good way to avoid writing over one's custom sc.ini with every new release of D: http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/digitalmars/D/12060.html) -- jcc7 http://jcc_7.tripod.com/d/
Good points. :) TZ
Apr 20 2005