digitalmars.D - Request -quiet compiler option

reply James Dunne <jdunne4 bradley.edu> writes:
Yeah that's about it.  A -q or -quiet option should shut the compiler up.
Really, all I want is for the annoying gcc compile line to not be displayed - I
only need the error output from dmd itself.  It's very distracting in a Makefile
where everything else I build is quiet unless an error occurs.  BTW, I work with
D primarily on Linux.

Regards,
James Dunne
Apr 13 2005
parent reply "Matthew" <admin stlsoft.dot.dot.dot.dot.org> writes:
Maybe you could write a simple app to discard stdout and display
stderr?

Obviously that's based on the assumption that GCC puts its errors to
stderr, which it may well (and correctly) not do. (Since a compile
error is not, usually, an error in the compiler <g>)

If that fails, you could always write a filter using regex to do it.

"James Dunne" <jdunne4 bradley.edu> wrote in message
news:d3kmrn$2ueo$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Yeah that's about it.  A -q or -quiet option should shut the
 compiler up.
 Really, all I want is for the annoying gcc compile line to not be
 displayed - I
 only need the error output from dmd itself.  It's very distracting
 in a Makefile
 where everything else I build is quiet unless an error occurs.
 BTW, I work with
 D primarily on Linux.

 Regards,
 James Dunne
Apr 13 2005
parent James Dunne <jdunne4 bradley.edu> writes:
It's only the gcc thousands_of_dot_o_files.o -lmylibrary -o some_output line
that bugs me.  It really should be a compiler option to quiet this.  dmd is the
program that outputs this line when it calls gcc.  gcc doesn't output anything
but linker errors, and usually nothing at all.

In article <d3kona$2vh4$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Matthew says...
[...]

Regards, James Dunne
Apr 13 2005