digitalmars.D - jEdit - some questions

reply Björn <Björn_member pathlink.com> writes:
Greetings,

I'm wondering if someone is using jEdit for D development - if yes, it would be
nice to get an answer to my question ...

concerning D:
how are you compiling ... commandline, macro, plugin for D compilation ?

concerning jEdit (possible) itself:
i have problems with the "showing" of fonts in jEdit. An example could explain
better what I'm meaning:
if I use crimson editor (for windows only :( ) the denounced font is "courier
new 10" and anybody could read this pretty well. When I'm trying to use the same
font in jEdit, the text is sooo small, nobody could read it - enlarging the font
still shows differences (hard to read).
I'm knowing windows is doing some motifaction to the original font while showing
it on the screen - these motification seems not to happen in jEdit - maybe
because jEdit using the java/SWING ??

Why I'm still trying to use jEdit - it's very easy to expand his functionality
like including "Dlint" from Ben, because you can directly access jEdit's text
buffer.

Anybody here to give some hint's or solutions - any comment is appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Björn

(newbie D developer)
(bjoern DOT diwald AT gmx DOT de)
Apr 07 2005
parent reply Pierre Rouleau <prouleau impathnetworks.com> writes:
Björn wrote:

 Why I'm still trying to use jEdit - it's very easy to expand his functionality
 like including "Dlint" from Ben, because you can directly access jEdit's text
 buffer.
one question: are you referring to a lint for D or something else? Pierre Rouleau
Apr 07 2005
parent reply Björn <Björn_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <d34o5g$159t$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Pierre Rouleau says...
Björn wrote:

 Why I'm still trying to use jEdit - it's very easy to expand his functionality
 like including "Dlint" from Ben, because you can directly access jEdit's text
 buffer.
one question: are you referring to a lint for D or something else? Pierre Rouleau
yes ... Ben has started a dlint projekt: "http://home.comcast.net/~benhinkle/dlint" and (mybe) no ... not for use in jEdit by now (I think ??!!) Bye Björn
Apr 08 2005
parent "Ben Hinkle" <ben.hinkle gmail.com> writes:
news:d35ghq$1uqu$1 digitaldaemon.com...
Björn wrote:

 Why I'm still trying to use jEdit - it's very easy to expand his
 functionality
 like including "Dlint" from Ben, because you can directly access jEdit's
 text
 buffer.
one question: are you referring to a lint for D or something else? Pierre Rouleau
yes ... Ben has started a dlint projekt: "http://home.comcast.net/~benhinkle/dlint" and (mybe) no ... not for use in jEdit by now (I think ??!!) Bye Björn
Dlint (the standalone version) is designed to be used by tools to process a file and return output. For example the d-mode for emacs on my setup runs dlint on load/save. Since saving/loading the file in emacs is about the same time as running dlint on it I haven't been able to notice any performance problem. Doing it on every newline might be different (plus there's the issue of parsing partial files). Dlint can be modified to run in-process but that would require maintenance when new versions of dlint and dmd appear. Personally I'd recommend the standalone version.
Apr 08 2005