digitalmars.D - Download of compiler fails

reply Lars Ivar <Lars_member pathlink.com> writes:
It seems that I'm not able to download files from ftp.digitalmars.com. I tried
last night at home, and now at work, and it just silently fails. Do others have
this problem?

Lars Ivar Igesund
Apr 06 2005
next sibling parent reply "Alligator" <me home.gr> writes:
Yep.
It's not working ...

"Lars Ivar" <Lars_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:d301sc$14o9$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 It seems that I'm not able to download files from ftp.digitalmars.com. I
tried
 last night at home, and now at work, and it just silently fails. Do others
have
 this problem?

 Lars Ivar Igesund
Apr 06 2005
next sibling parent reply "Kyle Furlong" <ky220 umail.ucsb.edu> writes:
Same here when using IE, but then I tried SmartFTP with pasv mode turned
off. Everything went smoothly from there.

"Alligator" <me home.gr> wrote in message
news:d306cr$1b5o$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Yep.
 It's not working ...

 "Lars Ivar" <Lars_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
 news:d301sc$14o9$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 It seems that I'm not able to download files from ftp.digitalmars.com. I
tried
 last night at home, and now at work, and it just silently fails. Do
 others
have
 this problem?

 Lars Ivar Igesund
Apr 06 2005
next sibling parent reply "Bob W" <nospam aol.com> writes:
"Kyle Furlong" <ky220 umail.ucsb.edu> wrote in message
news:d30c82$1j6h$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Same here when using IE, but then I tried SmartFTP with pasv mode turned
 off. Everything went smoothly from there.

 "Alligator" <me home.gr> wrote in message
 news:d306cr$1b5o$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Yep.
 It's not working ...

 "Lars Ivar" <Lars_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
 news:d301sc$14o9$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 It seems that I'm not able to download files from ftp.digitalmars.com. I
tried
 last night at home, and now at work, and it just silently fails. Do
 others
have
 this problem?

 Lars Ivar Igesund
IE was silently updated to prevent D compiler downloads, because the company behind it obsoletion due to the growing popularity of D. More seriously - my computer repeated the problem mentioned (ftp timeout).
Apr 06 2005
next sibling parent reply Georg Wrede <georg.wrede nospam.org> writes:
Bob W wrote:
 "Kyle Furlong" <ky220 umail.ucsb.edu> wrote in message
 news:d30c82$1j6h$1 digitaldaemon.com...

Same here when using IE, but then I tried SmartFTP with pasv mode turned
off. Everything went smoothly from there.
IE was silently updated to prevent D compiler downloads, because the company behind it obsoletion due to the growing popularity of D.
I think Walter's seen the light. D is too powerful a tool to be given to the kind of people who still use IE.
Apr 06 2005
next sibling parent "Andrew Fedoniouk" <news terrainformatica.com> writes:
 I think Walter's seen the light. D is too powerful a tool to be given to
 the kind of people who still use IE.
:-)))
Apr 06 2005
prev sibling parent reply bobef <bobef_member pathlink.com> writes:
I guess you say this because you like linux/unix or some other useless (in my
opinion) crap, but if you done some html/css/javascript you would know that
although poor support of web standarts it provides, IE is still the best browser
currently. No browser fully supports the web standards. Firefox is struggling to
fight IE, but it is light years away. I see they've done alot of good work since
mozilla/netscape browsers but it is stull unable to display simple pages. Opera
is the only browser that I think has any future. But it is still behind IE (i've
not seen opera 8). I mean Firefox will not die but it will always be behind
Opera and IE (I hope opposite of course). The bad thing is Opera is not free,
firefox is free but extremely slow, resources consuming and poor web standarts
support...

In article <4253D239.2040409 nospam.org>, Georg Wrede says...
I think Walter's seen the light. D is too powerful a tool to be given to
the kind of people who still use IE.
Apr 07 2005
parent Georg Wrede <georg.wrede nospam.org> writes:
bobef wrote:
[...]

I post here usually using Windows 2000, but not with Internet Explorer, or Outlook.
Apr 07 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent Lars Ivar <Lars_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <d30gbn$1ogp$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Bob W says...
[...]

Good suggestion, but I use Firefox. :) I might try the FTP-client method. Lars Ivar
Apr 06 2005
prev sibling parent "Charlie" <charles jwavro.com> writes:
Lol.

"Bob W" <nospam aol.com> wrote in message
news:d30gbn$1ogp$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]

prev sibling parent reply "Charlie" <charles jwavro.com> writes:
SmartFTP rules :).  Easily the best FTP client i've ever used.

Charlie
"Kyle Furlong" <ky220 umail.ucsb.edu> wrote in message
news:d30c82$1j6h$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Same here when using IE, but then I tried SmartFTP with pasv mode turned
 off. Everything went smoothly from there.

 "Alligator" <me home.gr> wrote in message
 news:d306cr$1b5o$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Yep.
 It's not working ...

 "Lars Ivar" <Lars_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
 news:d301sc$14o9$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 It seems that I'm not able to download files from ftp.digitalmars.com.
 tried
 last night at home, and now at work, and it just silently fails. Do
 others
have
 this problem?

 Lars Ivar Igesund
Apr 06 2005
parent jicman <jicman_member pathlink.com> writes:
Charlie says...
SmartFTP rules :).  Easily the best FTP client i've ever used.
Yeah, well... Tell me something I don't know. ;-)
Apr 08 2005
prev sibling parent Spin <Spin_member pathlink.com> writes:
Hello,
The download didn't work for me either. I can't get the D compiler but the C/C++
compiler can be downloaded from download.com

http://www.download.com/3120-20_4-0.html?qt=digital+mars&tg=dl-2001

Spin
Apr 06 2005
prev sibling parent reply Sean Kelly <sean f4.ca> writes:
In article <d301sc$14o9$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Lars Ivar says...
It seems that I'm not able to download files from ftp.digitalmars.com. I tried
last night at home, and now at work, and it just silently fails. Do others have
this problem?
I tried a number of methods and all of them failed EXCEPT using the command-line ftp tool in Windows. Don't ask me why it works when other FTP client's don't, but there ya go. I'm too lazy to grab the session logs and see what's actually going wrong right now. Sean
Apr 06 2005
parent reply Derek Parnell <derek psych.ward> writes:
 In article <d301sc$14o9$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Lars Ivar says...
It seems that I'm not able to download files from ftp.digitalmars.com. I tried
last night at home, and now at work, and it just silently fails. Do others have
this problem?
I tried a number of methods and all of them failed EXCEPT using the command-line ftp tool in Windows. Don't ask me why it works when other FTP client's don't, but there ya go. I'm too lazy to grab the session logs and see what's actually going wrong right now. Sean
I've had no troubles with Opera, EmFTP, or DOpus. IE has failed though. -- Derek Melbourne, Australia 7/04/2005 10:48:16 AM
Apr 06 2005
parent Dave <Dave_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <129cl6y3rjzq6.tezlsxs672yl$.dlg 40tude.net>, Derek Parnell says...
 In article <d301sc$14o9$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Lars Ivar says...
It seems that I'm not able to download files from ftp.digitalmars.com. I tried
last night at home, and now at work, and it just silently fails. Do others have
this problem?
I tried a number of methods and all of them failed EXCEPT using the command-line ftp tool in Windows. Don't ask me why it works when other FTP client's don't, but there ya go. I'm too lazy to grab the session logs and see what's actually going wrong right now. Sean
I've had no troubles with Opera, EmFTP, or DOpus. IE has failed though. -- Derek Melbourne, Australia 7/04/2005 10:48:16 AM
I was able to turn off the 'Passive FTP' switch w/ IE 6 and download it that way. I had to use ftp on linux, wget wouldn't work because the server would go into PASV mode (can't control that w/ wget). Hmmm, I wonder if the firewall rules changed on the digital mars end of things maybe? - Dave
Apr 06 2005