digitalmars.D - Phobos std.string lib should have a "char toupper( char ) & char tolower( char )"

reply David L. Davis <David_member pathlink.com> writes:
I'm not sure about anyone else, but strings have always been the "Meat and
Potato" of most of my programming career. And recently I've been playing around
with D type strings (Array of Characters...I know) and found that the toupper()
and tolower() functions in the std.string supports only the char[]'s with
multiple characters, but oddly enough not a char[] with a single character
(which it changes from a char[] to char when passed into the above functions.
Which would be kool, as long as there were some additional functions of
toupper() and tolower() that supported the following: char toupper( char ) and
char tolower( char ).

Yeah, I know it's a small thing to many of you, but I do feel it should be added
into the std.string library of functions before D v1.0.

Also why are the std.string const variable names in lowercase, I thought the
standard C/C++ way was to make all const variable names UPPERCASE. That way
there are easier to see in the code. Anyways, I just alias them from lowercase
version to uppercase within my code, just thought I'd point it out. :))

Below I wrote an example of the functions that would work with ascii characters.

import std.string;

char toupper
(
in char cChar
)
{
// std.string const lowercase should be defined in all caps.
alias lowercase LOWERCASE;

if ( find( LOWERCASE, cChar ) != -1 )
// lowercase ascii a = '\x61', uppercase ascii A = '\x41'
return cChar - 0x20;
else
return cChar;
// end-if

} // end-function toupper

char tolower
(
in char cChar
)
{
// std.string const lowercase should be defined in all caps.
alias uppercase UPPERCASE;

if ( find( UPPERCASE, cChar )  != -1 )
// lowercase ascii a = '\x61', uppercase ascii A = '\x41'
return cChar + 0x20;
else
return cChar;
// end-if

} // end-function tolower
May 25 2004
next sibling parent reply "Vathix" <vathixSpamFix dprogramming.com> writes:
"David L. Davis" <David_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:c8vq6c$1bd2$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]

It's been in std.ctype for a long time; recently changed from char to dchar but still works with char.
May 25 2004
parent reply David L. Davis <David_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <c8vrf7$1dcs$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Vathix says...
[...]

Vathix thanks for the reply. Ok that does work, tho it seems a bit weird that I have import another library ( std.ctype ) and have to use a cast( dchar ) to make it work. Shouldn't std.string still have a char version of both toupper() and tolower() to support the "D string-type" that has only one character, which then becomes a char when passed into case functions? import std.ctype; sStr[ iStrPos ] = toupper( cast( dchar )sStr[ iStrPos ] );
May 25 2004
parent reply "Vathix" <vathixSpamFix dprogramming.com> writes:
 Ok that does work, tho it seems a bit weird that I have import another
library (
 std.ctype ) and have to use a cast( dchar ) to make it work. Shouldn't
 std.string still have a char version of both toupper() and tolower() to
support
 the "D string-type" that has only one character, which then becomes a char
when
 passed into case functions?

 import std.ctype;
 sStr[ iStrPos ] = toupper( cast( dchar )sStr[ iStrPos ] );
I think you're confused. provided char[] foo = "hello world"; foo[0] does not yield a string, it is only a single char of the char[]. If you want a string with one index then you'll need to slice: foo[0 .. 1] is a string and will work with std.string.toupper(). std.ctype works on single characters, which should not need to be cast to dchar; it is implicitly converted for me.
May 25 2004
parent David L. Davis <David_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <c8vvig$1jvf$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Vathix says...
[...]

Vathix, "Thank you again very much"...you've been really helpful! :)) The below code changes how work as I wanted them to: //Equal to VB6 code written as: //Mid$(sStr, iStrPos, 1) = UCase$(Mid$(sStr, iStrPos, 1)) import std.string; sStr[ iStrPos .. iStrPos + 1 ] = toupper( sStr[ iStrPos .. iStrPos + 1 ] );
May 25 2004
prev sibling parent reply Andrew <Andrew_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <c8vq6c$1bd2$1 digitaldaemon.com>, David L. Davis says...
[...]

Not necessary: Functions are already established that addresses all capitalizeation needs with D strings (aka char[]). As far as I'm concerned, the only thing that needs to be modified is the capwords() function: which needs to take into consideration both uppercase and lowercase strings (it does not properly deal with uppercase strings). // import std.string; import std.stream; void main() { char[] string = "Demonstrates THE D string upper/lowercase functions"; // Output original string stdout.writeLine("original: " ~ string ~ "\n"); // Convert string to lowercase string = tolower(string); stdout.writeLine("tolower: " ~ string ~ "\n"); // Capitilize the first character of a given string string = capitalize(string); stdout.writeLine("capitalize: " ~ string ~ "\n"); // Capitalize the entire string string = toupper(string); stdout.writeLine("toupper: " ~ string ~ "\n"); // Capitalize the first letter of each word in a string string = capwords(tolower(string)); // needs to be fixed stdout.writeLine("capwords: " ~ string ~ "\n"); }
May 25 2004
parent David L. Davis <David_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <c8vtai$1gbu$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Andrew says...
Not necessary:

Functions are already established that addresses all capitalizeation needs with
D strings (aka char[]). As far as I'm concerned, the only thing that needs to be
modified is the capwords() function: which needs to take into consideration both
uppercase and lowercase strings (it does not properly deal with uppercase
strings).

//
import std.string;
import std.stream;

void main()
{
char[] string = "Demonstrates THE D string upper/lowercase functions";

// Output original string
stdout.writeLine("original:   " ~ string ~ "\n");

// Convert string to lowercase
string = tolower(string);
stdout.writeLine("tolower:    " ~ string ~ "\n");

// Capitilize the first character of a given string
string = capitalize(string);
stdout.writeLine("capitalize: " ~ string ~ "\n");

// Capitalize the entire string
string =  toupper(string);
stdout.writeLine("toupper:    " ~ string ~ "\n");

// Capitalize the first letter of each word in a string
string = capwords(tolower(string)); // needs to be fixed
stdout.writeLine("capwords:   " ~ string ~ "\n");
}
Thanks Andrew for the reply...ummm...so it's the capwords() function that is to capitalize the first character of each word. :) I look forward to it being fixed.
May 25 2004