digitalmars.D - no return value

reply "Andrew Fedoniouk" <news terrainformatica.com> writes:
Following program, being compiled
in -debug,  in runtime ends up with the
following:

C:\d\test>test.exe
Error: AssertError Failure test(8)

The source of the problem is in int something() -
it does not have renturn value set.

IMO, either this code must not compile at all or
flag -w (warnings) should be 'on' by default.

Andrew.

==test.d================
static int v = 0;

int something(int vv)
{
  v = vv;
}

int main(char[][] args)
{
  something(28);
}

==test.d==EOF=============
Mar 15 2005
next sibling parent reply =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anders_F_Bj=F6rklund?= <afb algonet.se> writes:
Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:

 ==test.d================
 static int v = 0;

 int something(int vv)
 {
   v = vv;
 }

 int main(char[][] args)
 {
   something(28);
 }

 ==test.d==EOF=============
Here's what I get with GDC 0.10:
 test.d:3: function test.something function expected to return a value of type
int
 test.d:8: function test.main function expected to return a value of type int
--anders
Mar 15 2005
parent "Andrew Fedoniouk" <news terrainformatica.com> writes:
You are extremely lucky as.

    dmd.exe test.d

is just silently enjoying compilation of this.

Andrew.

"Anders F Björklund" <afb algonet.se> wrote in message
news:d17m4a$298h$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:

 ==test.d================
 static int v = 0;

 int something(int vv)
 {
   v = vv;
 }

 int main(char[][] args)
 {
   something(28);
 }

 ==test.d==EOF=============
Here's what I get with GDC 0.10:
 test.d:3: function test.something function expected to return a value of
 type int
 test.d:8: function test.main function expected to return a value of type
 int
--anders
Mar 15 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "Regan Heath" <regan netwin.co.nz> writes:
On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 13:58:10 -0800, Andrew Fedoniouk
 The source of the problem is in int something() -
 it does not have renturn value set.

 IMO, either this code must not compile at all or
 flag -w (warnings) should be 'on' by default.
See: http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/digitalmars/D/bugs/1553.html It's the same/very similar reasoning as the assert in the switch statement. The compier cannot know your intent, throwing the assert forces you to consider your intent and make it clear in the code so as the compiler (and next programmer to look at it) knows for sure what you intend. Regan
Mar 15 2005
Agreed, it is very reasonable. "no return value" should not be a warning but ruther just an error. Right? As I understand assertion in runtime is sort of atavism at these stage of the compiler. Andrew. "Regan Heath" <regan netwin.co.nz> wrote in message news:opsno9iqp723k2f5 nrage.netwin.co.nz...
 On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 13:58:10 -0800, Andrew Fedoniouk
 The source of the problem is in int something() -
 it does not have renturn value set.

 IMO, either this code must not compile at all or
 flag -w (warnings) should be 'on' by default.
See: http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/digitalmars/D/bugs/1553.html It's the same/very similar reasoning as the assert in the switch statement. The compier cannot know your intent, throwing the assert forces you to consider your intent and make it clear in the code so as the compiler (and next programmer to look at it) knows for sure what you intend. Regan
Mar 15 2005
parent "Regan Heath" <regan netwin.co.nz> writes:
On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 14:41:26 -0800, Andrew Fedoniouk
 The compier cannot know your intent, throwing the assert forces you to
 consider your intent and make it clear in the code so as the compiler
 (and
 next programmer to look at it) knows for sure what you intend.
Agreed, it is very reasonable. "no return value" should not be a warning but ruther just an error. Right?
Yes.
 As I understand assertion in runtime is
 sort of atavism at these stage of the compiler.
The runtime assert is given because detecting this at compile time is either very difficult or perhaps impossible in some situations. So, if you were used to it giving an error at compile time, then happened to have one that it could not (or did not yet) detect, you would not know it, and the bug it caused would manifest later in the code, and be hard to track/find. Throwing the assert tells you exactly where and when the bug occured, allowing you to resolve it quickly and easily. Regan