digitalmars.D - Can't get D Compiler to work, an IDE would be nice

reply Julian <Julian_member pathlink.com> writes:
Hi, I've been playing around with the D Compiler for Windows, and I can't get it
to work. I've changed the settings, and some more, and still can't get it to
work.
I would really love to have an IDE for D, would make it alot more easier, and
would also make it faster to create the code. I've already made my own, or
somewhat, in VB, I know VB is not good, the syntax highlighting is too slow, and
it doesn't support projects, but everything else pretty much works, except for
the getting it to compile.

So I would really appreciate a step-by-step guide that takes you through
downloading, and in the end makes you compile a program sucesfully in Windows.

Thanks

- Julian
May 24 2004
next sibling parent reply Andrew <Andrew_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <c8tlso$h5m$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Julian says...
Hi, I've been playing around with the D Compiler for Windows, and I can't get it
to work. I've changed the settings, and some more, and still can't get it to
work.
I would really love to have an IDE for D, would make it alot more easier, and
would also make it faster to create the code. I've already made my own, or
somewhat, in VB, I know VB is not good, the syntax highlighting is too slow, and
it doesn't support projects, but everything else pretty much works, except for
the getting it to compile.

So I would really appreciate a step-by-step guide that takes you through
downloading, and in the end makes you compile a program sucesfully in Windows.

Thanks

- Julian
1) Download DMD ftp://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.zip 2) Download DMC ftp://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmc.zip 3) Extract archives to whatever directory you choose (c:\, d:\compilers\, your choice really) 4) Set the PATH environment variable to-> drive:\...\dmd\bin;drive:\...\dm\bin;~ Note: I'm assuming that you know how to set your environment variables. The "..." refers to wherever you decided to extract the archives and the "~" refers to whatever was there before you changed it. 5) To compile a file (from the cmd prompt) type: dmd filename Good luck. Andrew
May 24 2004
parent reply Regan Heath <regan netwin.co.nz> writes:
On Mon, 24 May 2004 21:10:34 +0000 (UTC), Andrew
 1) Download DMD ftp://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.zip
 2) Download DMC ftp://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmc.zip
 3) Extract archives to whatever directory you choose (c:\,
 d:\compilers\, your
 choice really)
 4) Set the PATH environment variable to->
 drive:\...\dmd\bin;drive:\...\dm\bin;~
FYI... If you extract both dmd.zip and dmc.zip to the same directory i.e. I have: d:\d\ <- I extracted to here for both .zip files dmd <- dmd.zip created this dm <- dmc.zip created this Then you only need to set the PATH to the d:\d\dmd\bin directory, there is an sc.ini config file to locate the linker (d:\d\dm\bin) from there using a relative path.
 Note: I'm assuming that you know how to set your environment variables.
 The "..." refers to wherever you decided to extract the archives and the
 "~" refers to whatever was there before you changed it.

 5) To compile a file (from the cmd prompt) type: dmd filename
Regan. -- Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/
May 24 2004
parent Andrew <Andrew_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <opr8i127f95a2sq9 digitalmars.com>, Regan Heath says...
On Mon, 24 May 2004 21:10:34 +0000 (UTC), Andrew
 1) Download DMD ftp://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.zip
 2) Download DMC ftp://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmc.zip
 3) Extract archives to whatever directory you choose (c:\,
 d:\compilers\, your
 choice really)
 4) Set the PATH environment variable to->
 drive:\...\dmd\bin;drive:\...\dm\bin;~
FYI... If you extract both dmd.zip and dmc.zip to the same directory i.e. I have: d:\d\ <- I extracted to here for both .zip files dmd <- dmd.zip created this dm <- dmc.zip created this Then you only need to set the PATH to the d:\d\dmd\bin directory, there is an sc.ini config file to locate the linker (d:\d\dm\bin) from there using a relative path.
Unless of course you actually need to use the DMC compiler for other purposes. In which case it would help greatly to put it in the path.
 Note: I'm assuming that you know how to set your environment variables.
 The "..." refers to wherever you decided to extract the archives and the
 "~" refers to whatever was there before you changed it.

 5) To compile a file (from the cmd prompt) type: dmd filename
Regan. -- Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/
May 25 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent Stephan Wienczny <wienczny web.de> writes:
http://www.atari-soldiers.com/dide.html

Julian wrote:

 Hi, I've been playing around with the D Compiler for Windows, and I can't get
it
 to work. I've changed the settings, and some more, and still can't get it to
 work.
 I would really love to have an IDE for D, would make it alot more easier, and
 would also make it faster to create the code. I've already made my own, or
 somewhat, in VB, I know VB is not good, the syntax highlighting is too slow,
and
 it doesn't support projects, but everything else pretty much works, except for
 the getting it to compile.

 So I would really appreciate a step-by-step guide that takes you through
 downloading, and in the end makes you compile a program sucesfully in Windows.

 Thanks

 - Julian

May 24 2004
prev sibling parent reply "Matthew" <matthew.hat stlsoft.dot.org> writes:
While I understand your requirements, it is actually far better for your
skillset
to become competent and familiar with command-line builds. It affords a far
deeper understanding of the tools, and of the language/runtime components.
Furthermore, when you get to a point where you need to automate your builds -
and
we _all_ get to that point eventually - you already have all the skills you
need.

I would strongly suggest that you persevere.

Finally, by supporting DbC and unittests, D really doesn't need an IDE,
certainly
not a debugger anyway. I've been using D for two years, and have yet to
want/need
to use and IDE and/or debugger. This is in stark contrast to my regular
activitites, in which I am using and IDDE (and debugging) on a daily basis.

Cheers

Matthew

"Julian" <Julian_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:c8tlso$h5m$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Hi, I've been playing around with the D Compiler for Windows, and I can't get
it
 to work. I've changed the settings, and some more, and still can't get it to
 work.
 I would really love to have an IDE for D, would make it alot more easier, and
 would also make it faster to create the code. I've already made my own, or
 somewhat, in VB, I know VB is not good, the syntax highlighting is too slow,
and
 it doesn't support projects, but everything else pretty much works, except for
 the getting it to compile.

 So I would really appreciate a step-by-step guide that takes you through
 downloading, and in the end makes you compile a program sucesfully in Windows.

 Thanks

 - Julian
May 25 2004
next sibling parent reply imr1984 <imr1984_member pathlink.com> writes:
Matthew so you are saying that unittests are a complete bug hunting solution? If
so, I disagree. There are MANY programming tasks where a debugger is essential,
and unittests just dont cut it.

In article <c8v4e8$7c4$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Matthew says...

parent "Matthew" <matthew.hat stlsoft.dot.org> writes:
 Matthew so you are saying that unittests are a complete bug hunting solution?
If
 so, I disagree. There are MANY programming tasks where a debugger is essential,
 and unittests just dont cut it.
No, I don't believe I said that. I said two things: - knowing how to use tools on the command-line is useful (perhaps essential) to professional developers at various points in their careers - I have not yet needed to debug any D code. The latter statement cannot be read as "one will never need to debug D code", but it does indicate what I believe to be the case, which is to say that unittests and DbC reduce the set of cases in which debugging is necessary, as compared to other languages. It's not absolute, and I didn't say it was. Such is life. :-) <rereading> Hmmm. The statement "Finally, by supporting DbC and unittests, D really doesn't need an IDE, certainly not a debugger anyway" supports your interpretation. I didn't mean this as strongly as it reads. So, you're right, and I wasn't, but I think I am now. <G> </rereading>

prev sibling next sibling parent Ant <Ant_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <c8v4e8$7c4$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Matthew says...
D really doesn't need an IDE, certainly
Allow me to suggest that it depends on the type of project. Ant
May 25 2004
prev sibling parent reply "Walter" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
"Matthew" <matthew.hat stlsoft.dot.org> wrote in message
news:c8v4e8$7c4$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Finally, by supporting DbC and unittests, D really doesn't need an IDE,
certainly
 not a debugger anyway. I've been using D for two years, and have yet to
want/need
 to use and IDE and/or debugger. This is in stark contrast to my regular
 activitites, in which I am using and IDDE (and debugging) on a daily
basis. This is unexpected, and fascinating. I see an article for the D User's Journal on this!
May 25 2004
In article <c903dk$1q8m$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Walter says...