digitalmars.D - José, can't you see?

reply jicman <jicman_member pathlink.com> writes:
Greetings!

One of the switches of the dmd compiler is:

-d             allow deprecated features

I just downloaded 116 (very nice, by the way) and I saw that switch there.  I
asked myself, "Jose, what is depracated and what is not?"  I searched a few
sites, but right now I am a little PRESSED for time and so I ask, how would a d
programmer know what is deprecated and what is not?  Right now, v.116 has $ as
the length and soon (if all goes well) length will be depracated.  Many of my
programs have length already.  But, that's not a problem, vi is a good editor
and I can change that stuff in matter of seconds.  But, nonetheless, what is
deprecated and what is not?

thanks,

josé
Mar 08 2005
next sibling parent reply "Ben Hinkle" <bhinkle mathworks.com> writes:
"jicman" <jicman_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:d0l5st$db8$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Greetings!

 One of the switches of the dmd compiler is:

 -d             allow deprecated features

 I just downloaded 116 (very nice, by the way) and I saw that switch there.
 asked myself, "Jose, what is depracated and what is not?"  I searched a
 few
 sites, but right now I am a little PRESSED for time and so I ask, how
 would a d
 programmer know what is deprecated and what is not?
That would be a nice section of the doc, but I don't know of any way get a list of deprecated features. -Ben
Mar 08 2005
parent "Matthew" <admin stlsoft.dot.dot.dot.dot.org> writes:
 One of the switches of the dmd compiler is:

 -d             allow deprecated features

 I just downloaded 116 (very nice, by the way) and I saw that switch
 there. I
 asked myself, "Jose, what is depracated and what is not?"  I searched
 a few
 sites, but right now I am a little PRESSED for time and so I ask, how
 would a d
 programmer know what is deprecated and what is not?
That would be a nice section of the doc, but I don't know of any way get a list of deprecated features.
It'd be even better if the compiler would have a verbose "?" mode, and spat out a list. Like Borland's "-h -" mode
Mar 08 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent "Nick Sabalausky" <z a.a> writes:
[...]

If you try to do something, and the compler complains that it's depricated and refuses to compile, then it is depricated ;) . But if you're trying to get a complete list of depricated features, then I guess that doesn't help...
Mar 09 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent "Walter" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
"jicman" <jicman_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:d0l5st$db8$1 digitaldaemon.com...
  But, nonetheless, what is
 deprecated and what is not?
The easiest way at the moment is to grep the provided dmd sources for "deprecated".
Mar 09 2005
prev sibling parent "Jarrett Billingsley" <kb3ctd2 yahoo.com> writes:
 But, nonetheless, what is
 deprecated and what is not?
It will also allow you to do C-style casts, i.e. (float)a as opposed to cast(float)a.
Mar 09 2005