digitalmars.D - should walter rename D?...

reply dennis luehring <dl.soluz gmx.net> writes:
what are the problems with the name "D"

- we can't have www.d.org or something
- internet searchmachines do not like one/two-letter searchwords

- there is "another" D language in suns DTrace

"Dee" could be a good name, "A", "B", "C", "Dee"
--"D" means: successor to a,b,c ..., "ee" means: expert emerge :-}

because:
-Dee is spoken like D
-www.dee.org is avaiable
-Dee isn't much in use in the internet in context of programming

just my 0.00023 cents ...
Mar 06 2005
next sibling parent reply dennis luehring <dl.soluz gmx.net> writes:
dennis luehring wrote:
 "Dee" could be a good name, "A", "B", "C", "Dee"
 --"D" means: successor to a,b,c ..., "ee" means: expert emerge :-}
the name dee is used by an german sportwear company ... ;-{ but i hope you understand my problem with this one-letter name if D becomes (and it will) an well known successor to C it will be hard for newbies and even searchmachine pros to find internet article because of the D letter or couldn't we just create an official 3-4letters alias name for D so that you can write "D aka Dee" on your homepage or something... ciao dennis
Mar 06 2005
next sibling parent =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anders_F_Bj=F6rklund?= <afb algonet.se> writes:
dennis luehring wrote:

 --"D" means: successor to a,b,c ..., "ee" means: expert emerge :-}
the name dee is used by an german sportwear company ... ;-{ but i hope you understand my problem with this one-letter name if D becomes (and it will) an well known successor to C it will be hard for newbies and even searchmachine pros to find internet article because of the D letter
Internet domains and naive search queries are really a non-issue... ? http://www.google.com/search?q=%22D%20programming%20language%22 http://dmoz.org/Computers/Programming/Languages/D/ BTW; "D" wasn't Walter's choice. --anders
Mar 06 2005
prev sibling parent Vathix <vathix dprogramming.com> writes:
On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 11:10:28 +0100, dennis luehring <dl.soluz gmx.net>
 "Dee" could be a good name, "A", "B", "C", "Dee"
 --"D" means: successor to a,b,c ..., "ee" means: expert emerge :-}
the name dee is used by an german sportwear company ... ;-{ but i hope you understand my problem with this one-letter name if D becomes (and it will) an well known successor to C it will be hard for newbies and even searchmachine pros to find internet article because of the D letter or couldn't we just create an official 3-4letters alias name for D so that you can write "D aka Dee" on your homepage or something... ciao dennis
Mars D?
Mar 06 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent reply clayasaurus <clayasaurus gmail.com> writes:
dennis luehring wrote:
 what are the problems with the name "D"

 - we can't have www.d.org or something
 - internet searchmachines do not like one/two-letter searchwords

 - there is "another" D language in suns DTrace

 "Dee" could be a good name, "A", "B", "C", "Dee"
 --"D" means: successor to a,b,c ..., "ee" means: expert emerge :-}

 because:
 -Dee is spoken like D
 -www.dee.org is avaiable
 -Dee isn't much in use in the internet in context of programming

 just my 0.00023 cents ...
I always thought the name was Digital Mars D. Search engines like that and we already have DigitalMars.com/d.
Mar 06 2005
parent "Jarrett Billingsley" <kb3ctd2 yahoo.com> writes:
 I always thought the name was Digital Mars D. Search engines like that and
 we already have DigitalMars.com/d.
DigitalMars D just happens to be the original compiler, not the name of the language. We don't say that Microsoft C++ is a separate language from GNU C++ (though sometimes I wonder..). I like the name D. It's concise and makes it obvious that it's a successor to C. And it sounds like a programming language, as opposed to something like "Eiffel" or "Ruby." Those sound like they'd make good prototype names for something, but not for a finished language..
Mar 06 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "Walter" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
"dennis luehring" <dl.soluz gmx.net> wrote in message
news:d0eh19$2ipr$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 what are the problems with the name "D"

 - we can't have www.d.org or something
 - internet searchmachines do not like one/two-letter searchwords

I understand the issue. What works best is to grep for "D programming" or "D language".
 - there is "another" D language in suns DTrace
Sun's DTrace came later. Sun should change it's name.
 "Dee" could be a good name, "A", "B", "C", "Dee"
 --"D" means: successor to a,b,c ..., "ee" means: expert emerge :-}

 because:
 -Dee is spoken like D
 -www.dee.org is avaiable
 -Dee isn't much in use in the internet in context of programming

 just my 0.00023 cents ...
I suggest in writing about the D programming language, occaisionally spell it out as "D programming language" so it will be indexed by Google under the right phrase.
Mar 06 2005
parent reply "Charlie Patterson" <charliep1 excite.com> writes:
"Walter" <newshound digitalmars.com> wrote in message
news:d0gb1g$16en$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 - there is "another" D language in suns DTrace
Sun's DTrace came later. Sun should change it's name.
I have seen several languages named D. It is, unfortunately a pretty obvious choice for research language after language. And, of course, plenty of slashdotters will say it should really be P.
Mar 08 2005
parent Jack Waugh <Jack_member pathlink.com> writes:
And, of course, plenty
of slashdotters will say it should really be P.
Yes, because of BCPL. B was an interpreted language based on BCPL, and its successor was C, from the next letter in BCPL. So the next successor should be P, and the next one after that, L.
May 01 2006
prev sibling parent =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anders_F_Bj=F6rklund?= <afb algonet.se> writes:
dennis luehring wrote:

 "Dee" could be a good name, "A", "B", "C", "Dee"
 --"D" means: successor to a,b,c ..., "ee" means: expert emerge :-}

 because:
 -Dee is spoken like D
In English, that is... "D" has the advantage of being an abstract concept and thus simpler to use for speakers of other languages ? (D would be spelled out as "De" over here, in the country I live) Not that I see myself writing about "programspråket D" shortly, but I could. There's plenty of stuff on "programspråket C"... http://www.google.se/search?as_epq=%22programspr%C3%A5ket+C%22&lr=lang_sv I like D. (and with that, I really mean "The D programming language") --anders
Mar 06 2005