digitalmars.D - How is D doing?

reply IkeaTheSofa <ikea_the_sofa hotmail.com> writes:
I am new to programming in general and just started learning C++. I was
looking for a free to use compiler and found digital mars and D. I was
really excited to hear about D and wanted to learn it instead because I
already know some Java and D seems similar in a lot of ways but is more
feature like C++. I have been looking through website after website on D
and most of them have the last update in 2002 or the website is down. There
seems to have been a bunch of IDE's started for D but none have really came
into useability. Is D a viable langauge? What is happening with the D
community? Anyone who has experience with D and developing in it, I would
appreciate some advice.. Thank you in advance.

IkeaTheSofa
Feb 21 2005
next sibling parent reply Sebastian Beschke <s.beschke gmx.de> writes:
Hi,

IkeaTheSofa schrieb:
 I am new to programming in general and just started learning C++. I was
 looking for a free to use compiler and found digital mars and D. I was
 really excited to hear about D and wanted to learn it instead because I
 already know some Java and D seems similar in a lot of ways but is more
 feature like C++. I have been looking through website after website on D
 and most of them have the last update in 2002 or the website is down. There
 seems to have been a bunch of IDE's started for D but none have really came
 into useability. Is D a viable langauge? What is happening with the D
 community? Anyone who has experience with D and developing in it, I would
 appreciate some advice.. Thank you in advance.
D, in its current form, is not for the beginner. As you correctly noticed, there is no complete IDE that is anywhere past its beta-phase. Basically, when you're doing anything in D, you're a beta tester - for the compiler, the libraries, the development tools. You may want to gather some more experience until you feel confident in will also help you appreciate D's benefits ;) That said, most of the people here *are* using D productively. And if you ask a question here, you're likely to get an answer. (Side note: perhaps one could start a D.beginners newsgroup or something?) So if you feel like spending a lot of time with D the hard way, sorting out compiler bugs along with the bugs in your own code, you might still be in for a lot of education and adventure. :) But this will require quite some dedication. That's my opinion, anyways. :) -Sebastian
Feb 21 2005
parent reply jicman <jicman_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <cvctjq$30id$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Sebastian Beschke says...

[clip]

D, in its current form, is not for the beginner.
Not true, my friend. D is easier to learn than java and c, and c++. It just does not have the popularity. I started to do a project on java and I found it completely annoying. While looking around for c/c++ compilers, found digital mars and saw d. Downloaded it and now, I am writing this project on d. It's wonderful. :-)
You may want to gather some more experience until you feel confident in

will also help you appreciate D's benefits ;)
Nah. Jump right into it.
That's my opinion, anyways. :)
true. :-) And mine... ;-)
jicman schrieb:
 In article <cvctjq$30id$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Sebastian Beschke says...
D, in its current form, is not for the beginner.
Not true, my friend. D is easier to learn than java and c, and c++.
Those, with the possible exception of Java, aren't beginner languages either. I didn't say D wasn't easier than those languages. But D is generally more buggy, and there are languages (like Python, Ruby, Basic...) which are a lot easier to learn. The OP said he was new to programming. I also said, that with a bit of dedication, D could be used to learn programming. But it definitely isn't the easiest way. -Sebastian
Feb 21 2005
parent reply MicroWizard <MicroWizard_member pathlink.com> writes:
I also said, that with a bit of dedication, D could be used to learn
programming. But it definitely isn't the easiest way.

-Sebastian
Is there any easy way to learn programming??? Just do it. If one want to learn it, one will find using command line compiler easy. If one really need a GUI to write code one do not want to learn programming but playing. ;-) I have been using C/C++ for years. Then I stated to learn D (DMD version 0.16) It was only able to print "Hello world". That was fine. Later I tried to make some array handling utility. DMD just introduced arrays. Later I tried to use sockets. Phobos which come with DMD supports them since version 80-90. Now it has templates, mixins, etc. D evolves like a programmers teach yourself book goes step-by-step. Tamas Nagy
Feb 21 2005
parent reply IkeaTheSofa <ikea_the_sofa hotmail.com> writes:
MicroWizard <MicroWizard_member pathlink.com> wrote in
news:cvdppa$11ti$1 digitaldaemon.com:

I also said, that with a bit of dedication, D could be used to learn
programming. But it definitely isn't the easiest way.

-Sebastian
Is there any easy way to learn programming??? Just do it. If one want to learn it, one will find using command line compiler easy. If one really need a GUI to write code one do not want to learn programming but playing. ;-) I have been using C/C++ for years. Then I stated to learn D (DMD version 0.16) It was only able to print "Hello world". That was fine. Later I tried to make some array handling utility. DMD just introduced arrays. Later I tried to use sockets. Phobos which come with DMD supports them since version 80-90. Now it has templates, mixins, etc. D evolves like a programmers teach yourself book goes step-by-step. Tamas Nagy
I have to say that I appreciate the posts. I don't quite understand how command line compiling works.(i'm on win XP) I have downloded dmc dmd, cygwin and MinGW. I have been trying to figure out how to work. Since I only have exerince developing PHP and Java both of which use IDE's I feel totally lost here. I tried to compile an example programm from D spec webpage and this is what I get: Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600] (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp. C:\D\dmd\dmd\bin>dmd Digital Mars D Compiler v0.113 Copyright (c) 1999-2005 by Digital Mars written by Walter Bright Documentation: www.digitalmars.com/d/index.html Usage: dmd files.d ... { -switch } files.d D source files -c do not link -d allow deprecated features -g add symbolic debug info -gt add trace profiling hooks -v verbose -O optimize -odobjdir write object files to directory objdir -offilename name output file to filename -op do not strip paths from source file -Ipath where to look for imports -Llinkerflag pass linkerflag to link -debug compile in debug code -debug=level compile in debug code <= level -debug=ident compile in debug code identified by ident -inline do function inlining -release compile release version -unittest compile in unit tests -version=level compile in version code >= level -version=ident compile in version code identified by ident C:\D\dmd\dmd\bin>dmd c:\dev\d\dtest.d C:\D\dmd\dmd\bin\..\..\dm\bin\link.exe dtest,,,user32+kernel32/noi; Can't run 'C:\D\dmd\dmd\bin\..\..\dm\bin\link.exe', check PATH C:\D\dmd\dmd\bin> ... Can anyone decipher this? Any suggestions for a begginer(in general)? I also can not get the ecliseD plugin to work, but thats a different issue. Thank you again.
Feb 21 2005
next sibling parent reply pragma <pragma_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <Xns9604D616744DAikeathesofaAThotmail 63.105.9.61>, IkeaTheSofa
says...
C:\D\dmd\dmd\bin>dmd c:\dev\d\dtest.d
C:\D\dmd\dmd\bin\..\..\dm\bin\link.exe dtest,,,user32+kernel32/noi;
Can't run 'C:\D\dmd\dmd\bin\..\..\dm\bin\link.exe', check PATH

C:\D\dmd\dmd\bin>

... Can anyone decipher this? Any suggestions for a begginer(in general)?
I also can not get the ecliseD plugin to work, but thats a different
issue.
Don't feel embarassed by this, but the D compiler isn't the entire distribution. Technically, it relies on the DMC backend to get the linking and .exe building accomplished. http://www.digitalmars.com/d/dcompiler.html Just download the "linker and utilities" from the page and install them on your system. The trick is to unzip them into a folder that sits *next to* your dmd folder. (using your file layout garnered from above) c:\D\dmd\dmd\ <--- your current dmd installation c:\D\dmd\dm\ <--- where the linker and utilities should go This way the path "C:\D\dmd\dmd\bin\..\..\dm\bin\link.exe" will actually run "link.exe" to compose an exe. You mentioned that line-command compilation was a new thing to you. Granted, it's easy to think of working outside of an IDE a bit "old fashioned" but its really a power-user's interface (well from a unix/linux perspective anyway) and anything but out-moded. As has been mentioned, D is anything but a beginners tool at this point, so anything you master now with D will place you on the inside track for later (IMO). Enjoy! - EricAnderton at yahoo
Feb 21 2005
parent IkeaTheSofa <ikea_the_sofa hotmail.com> writes:
pragma <pragma_member pathlink.com> wrote in
news:cveftv$1r2n$1 digitaldaemon.com:

[...]

Eric thanks so much for your help! Yeehaw! I finally got the compiler to compile the hello.d program after getting the files you talked about in the right place. I think this is the start of a beautiful thing (me and D). Thank you again.
Feb 21 2005
prev sibling parent reply Chris Sauls <ibisbasenji gmail.com> writes:
Its not bad at all once you get used to it.  You might want to check:
http://www.wikiservice.at/d/wiki.cgi?D__Tutorial

And... you have an IDE for PHP??  Interesting... I always just used
EditPlus.  (Though I might be switching to ConTEXT now.)  I'm wondering
what an IDE for PHP would provide?

-- Chris S

IkeaTheSofa wrote:
[...]

Chris Sauls <ibisbasenji gmail.com> wrote in
news:cvefuh$1qqn$1 digitaldaemon.com:

 Its not bad at all once you get used to it.  You might want to check:
 http://www.wikiservice.at/d/wiki.cgi?D__Tutorial

 And... you have an IDE for PHP??  Interesting... I always just used
 EditPlus.  (Though I might be switching to ConTEXT now.)  I'm
 wondering what an IDE for PHP would provide?

 -- Chris S
Thanks for your response Chris. I use PHP Designer 2005. I have apache and php installed as well as mysql. Php designer has the standard syntex highlighting. Also in php designer you can specify your php.exe and use it run and debugg your code (when i say debug it just tells you what line in your code is wrong and possibly why) and it outputs what you file would look like on a webserver in a window in the app.
Feb 21 2005
parent Chris Sauls <ibisbasenji gmail.com> writes:
Quite welcome.  And that PHP Designer app does sound interesting.  That
ability to call php.exe could actually be useful for some of those days
where I'm coding in my bedroom with the real server sitting halfway
across town.  :)

-- Chris S

prev sibling parent reply "Jarrett Billingsley" <kb3ctd2 yahoo.com> writes:
D, in its current form, is not for the beginner.
Not true, my friend.
Mm I'd have to agree with Sebastian here, really only because of the lack of an IDE and the fact that the language keeps changing. I'd love to teach my friend D as he wants to learn how to program, but that would also mean I'd have to teach him how to compile everything from the commandline and link it and figure out linker errors and etc.. There is no way to make a project, type some code, and have it run. Though if I finish my IDE once I get some time, that might change.. ;)
Feb 21 2005
parent reply Derek Parnell <derek psych.ward> writes:
D, in its current form, is not for the beginner.
Not true, my friend.
Mm I'd have to agree with Sebastian here, really only because of the lack of an IDE and the fact that the language keeps changing. I'd love to teach my friend D as he wants to learn how to program, but that would also mean I'd have to teach him how to compile everything from the commandline and link it and figure out linker errors and etc.. There is no way to make a project, type some code, and have it run. Though if I finish my IDE once I get some time, that might change.. ;)
My goodness! What wimps... there was no fancy IDE gizmo when I first learned programming. Just COBOL using punched cards and coding sheets! And we were lucky if we were allowed two compiles per day. ;-) -- Derek Melbourne, Australia 22/02/2005 3:25:33 PM
Feb 21 2005
next sibling parent reply Kris <Kris_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <cv9g7bk4uaw2.w0ltmbeb826k.dlg 40tude.net>, Derek Parnell says...
D, in its current form, is not for the beginner.
Not true, my friend.
Mm I'd have to agree with Sebastian here, really only because of the lack of an IDE and the fact that the language keeps changing. I'd love to teach my friend D as he wants to learn how to program, but that would also mean I'd have to teach him how to compile everything from the commandline and link it and figure out linker errors and etc.. There is no way to make a project, type some code, and have it run. Though if I finish my IDE once I get some time, that might change.. ;)
My goodness! What wimps... there was no fancy IDE gizmo when I first learned programming. Just COBOL using punched cards and coding sheets! And we were lucky if we were allowed two compiles per day. ;-)
You were lucky! We used t'dream o 'aving a compiler! Had two bits of broken ol' sticks that wer 'ad to knock together t'make our own shift-registers! Compiler? Huh ~ luxury ...
Feb 21 2005
next sibling parent reply Derek Parnell <derek psych.ward> writes:
[...]
LOL, I was waiting for somebody to say that...you guys are so predicable, but funny too. Monty Python never grows old. ;-) -- Derek Melbourne, Australia 22/02/2005 4:13:23 PM
Feb 21 2005
parent pragma <pragma_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <1rhc9p9g5pw2x$.x1drpsydetk4.dlg 40tude.net>, Derek Parnell says...
[...]
Stop that. You're being entirely too silly. .. and now for something completely different. - EricAnderton at yahoo
Feb 21 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent reply IkeaTheSofa <ikea_the_sofa hotmail.com> writes:
Kris <Kris_member pathlink.com> wrote in
news:cveefb$1ots$1 digitaldaemon.com:

[...]
I'm 22, so I'm not sure if I was even a glimmer in my fathers eyes when you two (Darek and Kris) started programming.. I've been taught using an IDE and I guess must seem needy to not know how to use the command line and such. Just really want to learn D and am willing to go to whatever lengths it takes. I've been researching D for a few days now and it amuses me the amount of people promising to make an IDE and these post turn out to be 2 or three years ago and I still can't find anything remotely like a full functioning IDE. I have had a hard time even getting a text editor to do the syntax coloring right.. the closest i've come is Crimson Editor and it seems anemic at best. Thanks for everyones thoughts
Feb 21 2005
next sibling parent clayasaurus <clayasaurus gmail.com> writes:
IkeaTheSofa wrote:
[...]

The command line is not that hard. It was explained to me in another thread how to get it working up in windows. I think you go to start->control panel->advanced setting->enironmental variable->PATH and add C:\dmd and C:\dm to your windows PATH, so that when you type dmd in the command prompt you get the version etc. If you don't want to learn makefiles than there are alternatives around such as D make and D build, in which you can type 'dmake main.d' and it finds all your files for you and builds them into an exe. There is a small learning curve with the command line, just put a link to the command prompt on the desktop and use commands cd - change directory dir - list directory contents to move around example: cd C:\myProject\ dmd main.d main hello world. Once you have the command line figured out you should be set. If you have any questions on how to set up just ask here, because i realize i'm not super specific. and google/news group search is your friend :-)
Feb 21 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Derek Parnell <derek psych.ward> writes:
[...]

Okay, I'll have a go. BTW, I use Crimson too. Sometimes Code-Genie, and sometimes EmEditor, depending on the task at hand. No one editor ever seems good enough to do everything I want. Do you understand the Windows (DOS) PATH concept? If not, it is one of a few 'environment variables' that you can define for your system. The PATH variable contains a list of folders where Windows will look in to find a program that you need to run. On Windows XP... 1) Right-click on the "My Computer" icon and select "Properties" from the popup menu. 2) Select the "Advanced" tab 3) Click on the "Environment Variables" button near the bottom of the window. This will show you two lists of variables - user ones and system ones. 4a) If you can see a "PATH" variable in the user list, click on that then press the "Edit" button. 4b) If you cannot see a "PATH" variable in the user list, click on the "New" button. 5) You will see an editbox for Variable name. Make sure this is "PATH". 6) You will see an editbox for the Variable's value. If this already has stuff in it, look thru it to see if it mention's where you installed DMD to. I believe in your case it is "C:\D\dmd\dmd\bin". 7) If it has both "C:\D\dmd\dmd\bin" and "C:\D\dmd\dmd\bin" there you are okay and can close these windows now. Otherwise move the cursor to the end of the current list of folders (in the value box), and add this ... ";C:\D\dmd\dmd\bin;C:\D\dmd\dmd\bin" **NOTICE** the semicolon at the beginning of this new entry and the one in between the two paths. 8) Now press the various "Ok" buttons to save your results. To test this, start up a new command window. (Press the green "start" button and select "Run...", enter in "cmd" and press "Ok".) When the prompt comes up, change folders to "C:\" (type in "cd c:\") Now type in "dmd". List show display the dmd usage info. Now type in "link". This should display the OptLink copyright info. To compile your program, go to the folder your source code is in. For example, if you saved it in "C:\My Projects\D\" you would type in "cd c:\my projects\d" If you called your program "dtest.d" (you must end it in ".d" btw), type in "dmd dtest" This will compile and link your test program. To run your program, type in "dtest" There, that'll do for now. -- Derek Melbourne, Australia 22/02/2005 4:26:09 PM
Feb 21 2005
next sibling parent IkeaTheSofa <ikea_the_sofa hotmail.com> writes:
Derek Parnell <derek psych.ward> wrote in
news:t9y12220a7kb.1g2gp8m600idb$.dlg 40tude.net:

[...]

Thanks for all your help derek. I do know about the path variables and tried to specify them when I first tried dmd. It turns out that I had not extracted the files correctly and didn't have the dmc files in the dm/bin/ folder. Although I still can't call dmd withouth being in the directory where dmd is. I'm going to restart and see if that helps. I have got it to compile and am really happy to be starting with D. Thanks Again!
Feb 21 2005
prev sibling parent reply "Walter" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
Not bad. Can I edit this into a "Tech Tip" and put it on the web site?
Feb 24 2005