digitalmars.D - What kind of app could D be especially suitable for?

reply "Lynn Allan" <l_d_allan adelphia.net> writes:
<alert comment="newbie zealot">

 What I am excited about is D is becoming the premier language to do
 unicode in, by a wide margin. And that's thanks to you guys!
This post from The WB back in 04-Aug has stayed with me. I'm not the most imaginative person or "brightest bulb in the box", but sometimes I'm less than clear on what D will eventually be really good for as it matures and hopefully achieves mind-share and market-share critical mass. I think it might be interesting/valuable to solicit ideas on the kinds of software that D might be especially suitable for. Another way to think of this question: what kind of projects could we suggest 'D' as the language of choice for the next major release of existing software that has outgrown its original 'sandbox'? For instance, perhaps reverse-engineering of originally niche apps that were written in interpretative languages (python, php, perl, ruby), but the app has become very popular and would benefit from a "real" compiled language for performance and reliability. phpBB? wiki? SCons? Another instance; I think D has good-to-great potential to replace certain Java apps that are slower than molasses. Specifically, the commerical products JTest and C++Test from Parasoft come to mind. They are nice for advanced Lint capabilities, but are practically unusable because they are so sloooooow. It can take overnight to process a medium size set of source files. I think the XML tools from Altova (Spy, Authenticate, etc.) are written in Java, since they ship with .jar files. My limited experience with them was that they were also slooooooooow. The Qarbon viewlet application for animated slideshows is written in Java and is sloooooooow. It can 'grind' for almost an hour on elaborate scripts. Seems like quite a few of the Apache XML tools are written in Java? For now, a problem with reverse engineering apps like the above is the immaturity of the native D gui's. This might be less of an issue with the apache xml apps that work in a console mode. Another type of "candidate for being in D's crosshairs" might be small to moderate size C libraries. (reverse-engineering of libsndfile and portaudio come to mind.) D wouldn't necessarily have performance advantages, but could very well have significant reliability advantages. These "inner libraries" used by other tools should be ultra reliable. Embedded o/s for micro-processors? pda's? </alert>
Jan 24 2005
next sibling parent "Walter" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
"Lynn Allan" <l_d_allan adelphia.net> wrote in message
news:ct3c4s$1nsk$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 I think it might be interesting/valuable to solicit ideas on the kinds
 of software that D might be especially suitable for.
One useful datapoint is that DMDScript in D is smaller and faster than the same code in C++. I view D as serving the same space as C and C++ do.
Jan 24 2005
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "Jarrett Billingsley" <kb3ctd2 yahoo.com> writes:
 Embedded o/s for micro-processors? pda's?
Now that someone released a GC-free version of phobos, that may be possible. Of course, D assumes a flat, 32-bit memory space, which is probably incompatible with many PDAs (i.e. 68K based Palm-powered handhelds. the 68K is a 16-bit processor). Maybe Pocket PCs, and to a limited extend, newer Palms would be more viable candidates. Or, maybe a smaller version of D (D--? ;) ) could be made for smaller devices, with support for things like 16- and 8-bit code. The far and near pointer mess would probably play havoc with some of the features, however (arrays, classes (thouch classes on an 8-bit microprocessor are.. overkill?), out/inout params).
Jan 24 2005
next sibling parent reply "Regan Heath" <regan netwin.co.nz> writes:
On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 13:33:34 -0500, Jarrett Billingsley
 Embedded o/s for micro-processors? pda's?
Now that someone released a GC-free version of phobos, that may be possible. Of course, D assumes a flat, 32-bit memory space, which is probably incompatible with many PDAs (i.e. 68K based Palm-powered handhelds. the 68K is a 16-bit processor). Maybe Pocket PCs, and to a limited extend, newer Palms would be more viable candidates. Or, maybe a smaller version of D (D--? ;) )
Lets call it "Dmin".
 could be made for smaller
 devices, with support for things like 16- and 8-bit code.  The far and
 near
 pointer mess would probably play havoc with some of the features, however
 (arrays, classes (thouch classes on an 8-bit microprocessor are..
 overkill?), out/inout params).
Regan
Jan 24 2005
parent reply Andy Friesen <andy ikagames.com> writes:
Regan Heath wrote:
 On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 13:33:34 -0500, Jarrett Billingsley
 Embedded o/s for micro-processors? pda's?
Now that someone released a GC-free version of phobos, that may be possible. Of course, D assumes a flat, 32-bit memory space, which is probably incompatible with many PDAs (i.e. 68K based Palm-powered handhelds. the 68K is a 16-bit processor). Maybe Pocket PCs, and to a limited extend, newer Palms would be more viable candidates. Or, maybe a smaller version of D (D--? ;) )
Lets call it "Dmin".
If we really want to be clever, we could call it "d". -- andy
Jan 24 2005
next sibling parent reply Georg Wrede <georg.wrede nospam.org> writes:
 Or, maybe a smaller version of D (D--? ;) )
Lets call it "Dmin".
If we really want to be clever, we could call it "d".
This got me thinking about language names in general. And how the requisites around a new language have changed in the past two decades. ((Please everybody, I'm not critisicing D here. This is just thoughts about languages to be.)) :-) In the old days, a language name like C was cool. It was easy to remember, short, and at the time to-the-point, considering its origins. It was easy to spot on book covers and backs, mainly because you could print it with a huge font. Today such a name would be awkward and a hindrance to a rapid spread of know-how about it. Why? Well, today information about a language is sought on the net, and a name that is inconvenient to search for should be avoided. Ideally, a name should give you "all" the pertinent hits, and "no" false hits. Bad examples would be all one-character names (a A B 1 0 Z = :, etc.). Good examples (I hope) are zoobyboo, GungkFoo, JavaScript, KoffeeWrite, and so on. (We all know the name JavaScript is a bit dishonest, but it still is an excellent example here.) To help search engines differentiate between posted code and discussion about the language, there should be a source code convention. Pascal used to have (a redundant) compulsory line at the very beginning program <program name here> Carrying this idea forward, we could have the compiler enforce that the language name appear at the very start. Add to this the major and minor version of the language, and we're pretty well off. KoffeeWrite 2.5: myprog.kw blabla blabla blabla blabla blabla blabla What exactly is done with the version number depends. If the language is a compiled language, then the compiler might enforce and check that the number is acceptable. Say, the difference between v2.5 and v2.4 is only bug fixes, then 2.4 code would be accepted as-is. Otherwise, any time there is a compile time error, the compiler would remind you about a possible version problem. If we are ambitious, any newer compiler would accept old code and compile it in "compatibility mode". "Everybody" uses an IDE in the future, and it would write the first line for you. Well, version numbers or not, starting a new language today needs a more professional attitude, way beyond just having a good syntax and a bug free reference implementation. It's like with cars: in 1910 it was enough that you took a barn door and slapped 4 wheels on it, and an engine. Today, a new car goes through research and development and marketing study -- even before anyone even considers making a clay model, let alone a prototype. If you want success for the language, you have to be diligent, right from the start. Philip Morris spent millions to find out the exact shade of red to use on packs of Marlboro cigarrettes. With the number of programming languages growing exponentially (at least in the immediately foreseeable future), the scene is like a car market where everyone has a self-made "best car in the world", but nobody ever hired a salesman or a marketing company. The choice of name is arguably more important than any one of the thousands of single language and design decisions.
"Georg Wrede" <georg.wrede nospam.org> wrote in message
news:41F61D6E.5090507 nospam.org...
 The choice of name is arguably more important than any one of the
 thousands of single language and design decisions.
I agree. I understand the issue with googling "D", but calling D "D" has been effective in interesting the kinds of programmers who would be interested in a reengineering of C++. It started out as a nickname, but it soon became obvious that "D" was the right name for the language.
Jan 25 2005
Walter wrote:
 "Georg Wrede" <georg.wrede nospam.org> wrote in message
 news:41F61D6E.5090507 nospam.org...

The choice of name is arguably more important than any one of the
thousands of single language and design decisions.
I agree. I understand the issue with googling "D", but calling D "D" has been effective in interesting the kinds of programmers who would be interested in a reengineering of C++. It started out as a nickname, but it soon became obvious that "D" was the right name for the language.
Right. Every rule has its exceptions, and D definitely is one. Considering the target audience of D and the origins of D, one could hardly come up with a more suitable name! Also, the kind of guys we want here have to be literate enough to search successfully for single-letter stuff on the net. Besides, we want to make D so good that an E never will appear. :-)
Jan 26 2005
parent reply zwang <nehzgnaw gmail.com> writes:
Georg Wrede wrote:
 Walter wrote:

 "Georg Wrede" <georg.wrede nospam.org> wrote in message
 news:41F61D6E.5090507 nospam.org...

 The choice of name is arguably more important than any one of the
 thousands of single language and design decisions.
I agree. I understand the issue with googling "D", but calling D "D" has been effective in interesting the kinds of programmers who would be interested in a reengineering of C++. It started out as a nickname, but it soon became obvious that "D" was the right name for the language.
Right. Every rule has its exceptions, and D definitely is one. Considering the target audience of D and the origins of D, one could hardly come up with a more suitable name! Also, the kind of guys we want here have to be literate enough to search successfully for single-letter stuff on the net. Besides, we want to make D so good that an E never will appear. :-)
FYI: http://dmoz.org/Computers/Programming/Languages/E/ :-)
Jan 26 2005
next sibling parent =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anders_F_Bj=F6rklund?= <afb algonet.se> writes:
zwang wrote:

 Besides, we want to make D so good that an E never will appear. :-)
FYI: http://dmoz.org/Computers/Programming/Languages/E/ :-)
http://mumble.net/e/faq.html :
 1.2. Why is it called 'E'?

 Douglas Crockford writes: 'I chose E because of the progression B, C. I
 observed that there was no language D. I figured it was a bad luck
 letter, so we moved on to E. That 'E' was also the initial of Electric
 Communities was noticed at the time. It also tied in to our development
 of the Unum distributed object model.'
:-) --anders
Jan 26 2005
prev sibling parent reply "Walter" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
"zwang" <nehzgnaw gmail.com> wrote in message
news:ct8f7q$2217$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Besides, we want to make D so good that an E never will appear. :-)
FYI: http://dmoz.org/Computers/Programming/Languages/E/ :-)
PROC / ENDPROC gak!!! http://www.stud.uni-hamburg.de/users/goldi/aee/beginner/beginner_4.html
Jan 26 2005
next sibling parent Daan Oosterveld <daan.oosterveld home.nl> writes:
Walter schreef:
 "zwang" <nehzgnaw gmail.com> wrote in message
 news:ct8f7q$2217$1 digitaldaemon.com...

Besides, we want to make D so good that an E never will appear. :-)
FYI: http://dmoz.org/Computers/Programming/Languages/E/ :-)
PROC / ENDPROC gak!!! http://www.stud.uni-hamburg.de/users/goldi/aee/beginner/beginner_4.html
I did program E for some years. It already had non-null terminated strings like D has, buildin gui toolkit and precompiled headers/modules. But yes, it has a hidious syntax. It was free and compiled fast on my Amiga. ;) Daan
Jan 26 2005