digitalmars.D - help with windows .lib and .dll

reply Ant <duitoolkit yahoo.ca> writes:
I still don't know about .lib and .dll on windows.

I know how to use implib to create a .lib from a .dll.

for the windows version of leds I asked on the scintilla
group for a compiled scintilla lib "Gtk+ mode" for windows,
and Mr. Iago Rubio was able to give me one.
http://mailman.lyra.org/pipermail/scintilla-interest/2004-December/005268.html

now what I have is a scintilla.lib and the DM linker
complains: "Error 43: Not a Valid Library File" (message typed in)

can I convert that scintilla.lib?
can I use it in a different way?

or do I need to ask again? if so what should I be asking for?

thanks,

Ant
Dec 17 2004
parent reply John Reimer <brk_6502 yahoo.com> writes:
Ant wrote:
 I still don't know about .lib and .dll on windows.

 I know how to use implib to create a .lib from a .dll.

 for the windows version of leds I asked on the scintilla
 group for a compiled scintilla lib "Gtk+ mode" for windows,
 and Mr. Iago Rubio was able to give me one.
 http://mailman.lyra.org/pipermail/scintilla-interest/2004-December/005268.html

 now what I have is a scintilla.lib and the DM linker
 complains: "Error 43: Not a Valid Library File" (message typed in)

 can I convert that scintilla.lib?
 can I use it in a different way?

 or do I need to ask again? if so what should I be asking for?

 thanks,

 Ant

Ant, This is a huge, nasty affair; it's a topic that comes up over and over again with the dmc and dmd compilers because they don't work well with anything Microsoft compiled (read: COFF object format). Successful use of scinitilla.lib is only guaranteed if you have compiled that library with the Digitalmars C/C++ compiler. Otherwise it's a complicated game - rarely successful - of trying to dig up tools that can convert the *.lib format to the necessary OMF format that dmd understands. I've discussed the possibilities so often now that I tire of expressing them again -- not so much because the conversion methods are useless; it's just that in the long run they appear to be a waste of time and energy, the chance of success being too unpredictable or unreliable. So now I just prefer dynamic (or runtime) function loading to solve the world's problems on Windows... That is the only other method that seems to work, and the library must be compiled as a dll first. Then, which compiler brand was used to make the library doesn't seem to be an issue. You just use the Win32 LoadLibrary() and GetProcAddress() calls to get the functions you need. I think I've mentioned this to you in a related topic in a personal email. :-) So the question first is... Have you been able to get scintilla.lib compiled with the dmc compiler (If you want to directly link with scintilla)? If no, the next question is... Is it possible to compile scintilla into a dll (with any compiler)? Later, John
Dec 17 2004
next sibling parent Ant <duitoolkit yahoo.ca> writes:
 So the question first is... Have you been able to get scintilla.lib
 compiled with the dmc compiler (If you want to directly link with
 scintilla)?

 If no, the next question is...  Is it possible to compile scintilla into
 a dll (with any compiler)?

I just have to ask th guy again... :( thanks, Ant
Dec 18 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Ant <duitoolkit yahoo.ca> writes:
 I still don't know about .lib and .dll on windows.

This is a huge, nasty affair;
what about linking with the Visual C++ toolkit? will it recognise the .obj from DMD? Ant
Dec 18 2004
next sibling parent John Reimer <brk_6502 yahoo.com> writes: