digitalmars.D - Indeterminate thread behavior?

reply Georg Wrede <Georg_member pathlink.com> writes:
I can run the following, usually once, and on the following
runs it (usually!) segfaults before finish. If I do something
else and then run it, it again runs fine the first time only.

I ran this on RedHat-9.

Obviously, foo and bar don't yield, main only checks for t1,
no threads are stopped, no errors are caught.
Still, indeterminate behavior is not what I'd expect.

Makes no difference whether I run it like

$ ./ttest
$ ./ttest > /tmp/ttest.lst
$ ./ttest | tee /tmp/ttest.lst

But running it with the same command again makes it segfault.
(If you have a new computer you might have to increase the
loop count, to maybe 50000, so that the first thread doesn't
always finish before the second starts.)

---------------------

Another thing: the Thread class is not well documented in the
docs. Even trivial things like Arrays are meticulously
explained with lots of examples, but Threads don't have a
single example code there!!

---------------------

Oh, and in case you haven't already tried the above, there's
a typo in both printf statements. So change

in both places.

Now, the really interesting part (this is slightly off-topic,
but I couldn't help myself): with the above faulty printf
statements, the code ran exactly the same!!!! So we have ESP
inbuilt in D -- it understands what you meant to write!  :-)

Maybe I should file a bug report about checking the arguments
to printf at compile time? At least for literal format strings.
Dec 10 2004
next sibling parent Phill Thorpe <phill pacific.net.au> writes:
[...]

I thought that there was nothing wrong with either printf statments, except that the %d is a waste of time. Phill.
Dec 12 2004
prev sibling parent reply "Ben Hinkle" <ben.hinkle gmail.com> writes:
"Georg Wrede" <Georg_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:cpc3jj$12m8$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]

Try making sure all the threads are done before the end of your main function. If some threads are still running it can cause seg-v's I believe. There are some pieces of D's threading behavior that I think should be tightened up - like how to treat threads that are still running after main exits. -Ben
Dec 12 2004
parent Georg Wrede <Georg_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <cphhuc$206e$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Ben Hinkle says...
"Georg Wrede" <Georg_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:cpc3jj$12m8$1 digitaldaemon.com...
I can run the following, usually once, and on the following
 runs it (usually!) segfaults before finish. If I do something
Try making sure all the threads are done before the end of your main function. If some threads are still running it can cause seg-v's I believe. There are some pieces of D's threading behavior that I think should be tightened up - like how to treat threads that are still running after main exits.
Thanks! That seems to correct the problem. I inserted at the very end of main.
Dec 12 2004