digitalmars.D - Need hel pgetting started wtih D =)

reply Sion <Sion_member pathlink.com> writes:
I just found out about D recently and I have a few questions.

1- Where can I get the latest version of a decent IDE for D?
2- How fast is D compared to the other languages around (although I'm no speed
freak, I'm just curious)?
3- How fast is developing for D?

For someone who has programmed with C and C++ before, the learning curve should
be fairly small right?

Thanks =)
Nov 30 2004
In article <coin59$2let$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Sion says...

There really isn't one, though there is syntax hilighting for quite a few editors. See http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?FrontPage
2- How fast is D compared to the other languages around (although I'm no speed
freak, I'm just curious)?
D is (or can be) as fast as C/C++. There are a few spots that could use tuning, but this is lower priority than compiler bugfixes and the like.
3- How fast is developing for D?
As an experienced C++ programmer, I find that I can code a bit faster in D than in C++. The syntax is cleaner and less prone to programmer error (IMO).
For someone who has programmed with C and C++ before, the learning curve should
be fairly small right?
Yes. Sean
Nov 30 2004
"Sean Kelly" <sean f4.ca> wrote in message
news:coio6l$2mse$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 In article <coin59$2let$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Sion says...
2- How fast is D compared to the other languages around (although I'm no
speed
freak, I'm just curious)?
D is (or can be) as fast as C/C++. There are a few spots that could use
tuning,
 but this is lower priority than compiler bugfixes and the like.
D can actually be considerably faster. See www.digitalmars.com/d/cppstrings.html
Nov 30 2004
prev sibling parent Dave <Dave_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <coin59$2let$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Sion says...
I just found out about D recently and I have a few questions.

1- Where can I get the latest version of a decent IDE for D?
Don't yet use one for D, sorry.
2- How fast is D compared to the other languages around (although I'm no speed
freak, I'm just curious)?
Pretty much anything you can do with C/C++ with regards to memory management and such you can do with D. There are some parts of the language that present better opportunites to the compiler (like foreach, import, first-class arrays, built-in strings and associative arrays, etc.). D might well end up faster for many things after several months (as opposed to several years for C++) of compiler development ;)
3- How fast is developing for D?

For someone who has programmed with C and C++ before, the learning curve should
be fairly small right?
My background sounds similiar, and I started with D in August. I use C++ as neccessary for work but think I'm more comfortable with D right now than C++ - often when I need to prototype something I'll do that in D and then it's "..ok, done with that - back to the grind". The DMD compiler is generally very fast and easy to use.
Thanks =)
Nov 30 2004