digitalmars.D - DMD 0.107 release

reply "Walter" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
http://www.digitalmars.com/d/changelog.html
Nov 29 2004
next sibling parent reply Ant <duitoolkit yahoo.ca> writes:
On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 18:06:18 -0800, Walter wrote:

 http://www.digitalmars.com/d/changelog.html
The thrill is gonne! No, not the thrill for D, the thrill for the next release of DMD. We (I) no longer wait for the next release of DMD. I don't expect amasing new features, or even the fixes I've been waiting for months (for which I couldn't produce code examples). This is to be expected as DMD is reaching 1.0. Can it be the reason the trafic is slower here? I bet it is. There is nothing new to see here. I see this as a good sign. It means DMD is getting there! Now if I was responsable for D and DMD I would release it without: (each one insert your own - I'm working on leds) I'm going to download DMD 0.107 now just to help finding problems, not because I expect any improvement, I'm actually afraid things might break... Thanks for D, Walter. Ant
Nov 29 2004
"Ant" <duitoolkit yahoo.ca> wrote in message
news:pan.2004.11.30.04.04.24.396981 yahoo.ca...
 Now if I was responsable for D and DMD I would release it without:
 (each one insert your own - I'm working on leds)
Maybe I should just call it 1.0 and ship it!
Nov 29 2004
parent reply "Kris" <fu bar.com> writes:
Please don't do that yet; I just sent you a problem with dmd-107. It breaks
all the ICU bindings ...

news:coh201$2vv3$1 digitaldaemon.com...

next sibling parent Ant <duitoolkit yahoo.ca> writes:
 Please don't do that yet; I just sent you a problem with dmd-107. It breaks
 all the ICU bindings ...
yeah... but the strategy must be lined up! Ant

prev sibling parent reply Stewart Gordon <smjg_1998 yahoo.com> writes:
Kris wrote:
 Please don't do that yet; I just sent you a problem with dmd-107. It breaks
 all the ICU bindings ...
<snip top of upside-down reply> I think Walter was joking. For those who haven't seen it already, we have a list of reasons we're far from ready for 1.0: http://www.wikiservice.at/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?PendingPeeves Stewart. -- My e-mail is valid but not my primary mailbox. Please keep replies on the 'group where everyone may benefit.
Nov 30 2004
parent reply Ant <Ant_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <cohhg4$o36$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Stewart Gordon says...
Kris wrote:
 Please don't do that yet; I just sent you a problem with dmd-107. It breaks
 all the ICU bindings ...
<snip top of upside-down reply> I think Walter was joking. For those who haven't seen it already, we have a list of reasons we're far from ready for 1.0: http://www.wikiservice.at/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?PendingPeeves
Can't you do better then that? The quality of it is very low. 1 - Walter expressly said he didn't want bug lists 2 - points to all sorts of less then relevant discussions Ant
Nov 30 2004
parent reply Stewart Gordon <smjg_1998 yahoo.com> writes:
Ant wrote:
<snip>
 http://www.wikiservice.at/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?PendingPeeves
Can't you do better then that? The quality of it is very low. 1 - Walter expressly said he didn't want bug lists 2 - points to all sorts of less then relevant discussions
I don't see what you mean. Please be specific. Stewart. -- My e-mail is valid but not my primary mailbox. Please keep replies on the 'group where everyone may benefit.
Nov 30 2004
parent reply J C Calvarese <jcc7 cox.net> writes:
Stewart Gordon wrote:
 Ant wrote:
 <snip>

 http://www.wikiservice.at/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?PendingPeeves
Can't you do better then that? The quality of it is very low. 1 - Walter expressly said he didn't want bug lists 2 - points to all sorts of less then relevant discussions
I don't see what you mean. Please be specific.
I think Ant is remembering it wrong. Walter has said that's he's not going to have an official list of bugs: "I published a carefully documented bug list once in the past. It was a disaster." (http://www.digitalmars.com/drn-bin/wwwnews?D/23404) I don't think he minds it if we keep unofficial bug lists.

 Stewart.
-- Justin (a/k/a jcc7) http://jcc_7.tripod.com/d/
Dec 01 2004
parent reply =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anders_F_Bj=F6rklund?= <afb algonet.se> writes:
J C Calvarese wrote:

 I think Ant is remembering it wrong.

 Walter has said that's he's not going to have an official list of bugs:
 "I published a carefully documented bug list once in the past. It was a
 disaster." (http://www.digitalmars.com/drn-bin/wwwnews?D/23404)

 I don't think he minds it if we keep unofficial bug lists.
Also, Thomas Kühne is doing an excellent job by keeping an *automated* bug list in the form of the Dstress test suite: http://svn.kuehne.cn/dstress/www/dstress.html That makes it easy to test that old bugs hasn't "resurfaced", as they have a tendancy to do if not properly pesticided... --anders
Dec 02 2004
parent reply Helmut Leitner <leitner wikiservice.at> writes:
Anders F Björklund wrote:
 J C Calvarese wrote:

 I think Ant is remembering it wrong.

 Walter has said that's he's not going to have an official list of bugs:
 "I published a carefully documented bug list once in the past. It was a
 disaster." (http://www.digitalmars.com/drn-bin/wwwnews?D/23404)

 I don't think he minds it if we keep unofficial bug lists.
Also, Thomas Kühne is doing an excellent job by keeping an *automated* bug list in the form of the Dstress test suite: http://svn.kuehne.cn/dstress/www/dstress.html That makes it easy to test that old bugs hasn't "resurfaced", as they have a tendancy to do if not properly pesticided...
If unittests were applied as advertized, then any error would result in one ore more unittests written, that would effectively hinder the errors to return.
Dec 02 2004
parent =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anders_F_Bj=F6rklund?= <afb algonet.se> writes:
Helmut Leitner wrote:

 That makes it easy to test that old bugs hasn't "resurfaced",
 as they have a tendancy to do if not properly pesticided...
If unittests were applied as advertized, then any error would result in one ore more unittests written, that would effectively hinder the errors to return.
Dstress is such a unittest, for the compiler itself... (Thomas has added all kinds of conformance tests, as well as various bugs reported on the D forums) All the tests are available at: http://svn.kuehne.cn/dstress/ The built-in unittest{} is also useful for testing code, as of DMD 0.108 the following seems to have such tests:
 phobos/internal/adi.d
 phobos/internal/arraycast.d
 phobos/internal/gc/gcbits.d
 phobos/internal/qsort.d
 phobos/internal/switch.d
 phobos/std/base64.d
 phobos/std/c/linux/linux.d
 phobos/std/conv.d
 phobos/std/ctype.d
 phobos/std/dateparse.d
 phobos/std/format.d
 phobos/std/math.d
 phobos/std/math2.d
 phobos/std/md5.d
 phobos/std/outbuffer.d
 phobos/std/path.d
 phobos/std/perf.d
 phobos/std/random.d
 phobos/std/recls.d
 phobos/std/regexp.d
 phobos/std/socket.d
 phobos/std/stream.d
 phobos/std/string.d
 phobos/std/thread.d
 phobos/std/uri.d
 phobos/std/utf.d
 phobos/std/windows/registry.d
 phobos/std/zlib.d
At least, that is what running a quick "grep" told me :-) I am not sure if either of the testsuites is run before releases, think that Walter has some kind of internal test program for DMD ? GDC has a "make unittest", but I've not been able to make that run, and it doesn't seem to like the GCC "make check-d" either ? --anders
Dec 02 2004