digitalmars.D - Announce DGrammar

reply Sjoerd van Leent <svanleent wanadoo.nl> writes:
Hi all,

Experimenting with D learned that there was no such thing as a grammar
compiler (or compiler-compiler). Therefor I made my own grammar compiler
which looks a little bit like YACC.

You can find the project at dsource.org, thus:

http://dsource.org/projects/dgrammar/

There is a compiled version for Linux (I compiled it on Fedora Core 3),
but it should be possible to compile it on other platforms as well. For
compilation you need a lexer (probably flex) and a YACC implementation
(probably bison).
There is a simple SConstruct script available, but if you like Make
more, it shouldn't be that difficult to build up a makefile out of the
SConstruct file.
It comes with a GPL license (version 2), so go ahead changing it the way
you like. (Although I appreciate to know what you changed, for a better
DGrammar).

Key differences:
- YACC needs a lexer, DGrammar has inline regular expression support
- YACC's C(++) code is inline, code of DGrammar is extern
- DGrammar uses the DMD/DMC regular expression library
- DGrammar is OOP, it makes classes out of grammars
- Syntactically different from YACC in many cases

Currently I am working on a documentation set, so that it is more easy
to work with DGrammar.

Regards,
Sjoerd
Nov 28 2004
parent reply Holger Sebert <holger.sebert ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:
Great,

now *that* was the remaining piece towards full-scale D usage!!

I'll try it at once!!!

Holger

Sjoerd van Leent wrote:
[...]

parent reply Sjoerd van Leent <svanleent wanadoo.nl> writes:
I appreciate your message, this inspires me to continue development, and
not leaving it to version 0.2 :-)

Regards,
Sjoerd

 Sjoerd van Leent wrote:

[...]

Hi,

oh yes! I think a good parser generator belongs to *every* modern
programming language.

In my C++ projects I use ANTLR, but this tool has a *huge* run-time lib
coming with it, which makes it look like an A-Bomb when using it for
medium scale script parsers (where lex and yacc would be the tools of
choice---but at the same time totally useless due to their non-existent
OO support).

Another thing that's annoying when using ANTLR is the embedded code that
pollutes the grammar.

So I am really looking forward using DGrammar.

Unfortunately, the executable provided by your link does not run on my
distro (slackware 10.0, libstdc++.so.5) and I didn't found the source
anywhere (or am I blind?)

If there's something I could do to support you with your project
(although I am not experienced in building compiler-compilers ...), I
would be glad doing it!!

Greets,
Holger

 Sjoerd van Leent wrote:

[...]

next sibling parent reply "HN" <hn nospam.net> writes:
"Holger Sebert" <holger.sebert ruhr-uni-bochum.de> wrote in message
news:codv2p$16a9$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Hi,

 oh yes! I think a good parser generator belongs to *every* modern
 programming language.

 In my C++ projects I use ANTLR, but this tool has a *huge* run-time lib
 coming with it, which makes it look like an A-Bomb when using it for
 medium scale script parsers (where lex and yacc would be the tools of
 choice---but at the same time totally useless due to their non-existent
 OO support).

 Another thing that's annoying when using ANTLR is the embedded code that
 pollutes the grammar.
Personally, I prefer LL(k) parser generators like ANTLR over LALR(1) parser generators like YACC. I used ANTLR for more projects and my opionion about it is very good.
Nov 29 2004
parent Sjoerd van Leent <svanleent wanadoo.nl> writes:
HN wrote:
 "Holger Sebert" <holger.sebert ruhr-uni-bochum.de> wrote in message
 news:codv2p$16a9$1 digitaldaemon.com...

Hi,

oh yes! I think a good parser generator belongs to *every* modern
programming language.

In my C++ projects I use ANTLR, but this tool has a *huge* run-time lib
coming with it, which makes it look like an A-Bomb when using it for
medium scale script parsers (where lex and yacc would be the tools of
choice---but at the same time totally useless due to their non-existent
OO support).

Another thing that's annoying when using ANTLR is the embedded code that
pollutes the grammar.
Personally, I prefer LL(k) parser generators like ANTLR over LALR(1) parser generators like YACC. I used ANTLR for more projects and my opionion about it is very good.
If you have any suggestion of making it better, please post it on the dsource forum, I'd really appreciate it. As to ANTLR, I don't have much experience, but I've got experience with parser-combinators and YACC. If their is anything which seems to be incomplete, or could be better, post it! Regards, Sjoerd
Nov 29 2004
prev sibling parent Sjoerd van Leent <svanleent wanadoo.nl> writes:
Holger Sebert wrote:
 Hi,

 oh yes! I think a good parser generator belongs to *every* modern
 programming language.

 In my C++ projects I use ANTLR, but this tool has a *huge* run-time lib
 coming with it, which makes it look like an A-Bomb when using it for
 medium scale script parsers (where lex and yacc would be the tools of
 choice---but at the same time totally useless due to their non-existent
 OO support).
Well the lack of OO-support was one of the reasons to do it differently.

 Another thing that's annoying when using ANTLR is the embedded code that
 pollutes the grammar.
That is also true for YACC, to some point

Probably, the source is in the /trunk directory on SVN. http://svn.dsource.org/svn/projects/dgrammar/trunk/
 If there's something I could do to support you with your project
 (although I am not experienced in building compiler-compilers ...), I
 would be glad doing it!!

You're welcome, please post a message on the forum
 Greets,
 Holger

Nov 29 2004