digitalmars.D - Incorrect struct and union size. Possible bug?

reply MicroWizard <MicroWizard_member pathlink.com> writes:
I wrote a program to access Win32 character based console form D, but got
strange screen addressing problems. When I dig into the deep, I have found this.

In the following program when I mix structs and unions, the compiler does not
calculate with the last struct element(s).

alias char CHAR;
alias wchar WCHAR;
alias ushort WORD;

struct TST {
union Char{
WCHAR UnicodeChar;
CHAR   AsciiChar;
};
WORD Attributes;
};

struct TST2 {
WCHAR UnicodeChar;
WORD Attributes;
};

struct TST3 {
union Char{
WCHAR UnicodeChar;
CHAR   AsciiChar;
};
union Char2{
WCHAR UnicodeChar;
CHAR   AsciiChar;
};
};

void main(char[][] arg)
{
printf("TST.sizeof=%d,TST2.sizeof=%d,TST3.sizeof=%d\n",
TST.sizeof,   TST2.sizeof,   TST3.sizeof);
}

The result is:
TST.sizeof=2,TST2.sizeof=4,TST3.sizeof=1

And what I expect:
TST.sizeof=4,TST2.sizeof=4,TST3.sizeof=4

Or missed I something completely?

Best regards,
Tamas Nagy
Nov 20 2004
parent reply =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anders_F_Bj=F6rklund?= <afb algonet.se> writes:
MicroWizard wrote:

 struct TST {
 union Char{
 WCHAR UnicodeChar;
 CHAR   AsciiChar;
 };
 WORD Attributes;
 };

 struct TST2 {
 WCHAR UnicodeChar;
 WORD Attributes;
 };

 struct TST3 {
 union Char{
 WCHAR UnicodeChar;
 CHAR   AsciiChar;
 };
 union Char2{
 WCHAR UnicodeChar;
 CHAR   AsciiChar;
 };
 };

 void main(char[][] arg)
 {
 printf("TST.sizeof=%d,TST2.sizeof=%d,TST3.sizeof=%d\n",
 TST.sizeof,   TST2.sizeof,   TST3.sizeof);
 }

 The result is:
 TST.sizeof=2,TST2.sizeof=4,TST3.sizeof=1

 And what I expect:
 TST.sizeof=4,TST2.sizeof=4,TST3.sizeof=4

 Or missed I something completely?
In D, declaring a union does *not* mean allocating a variable... (even an empty structure: { } has a .sizeof of 1, a little quirk) This works:
 union CharU{
 WCHAR UnicodeChar;
 CHAR   AsciiChar;
 }
 union Char2U{
 WCHAR UnicodeChar;
 CHAR   AsciiChar;
 }

 struct TST {
 CharU Char;
 WORD Attributes;
 }
 struct TST2 {
 WCHAR UnicodeChar;
 WORD Attributes;
 }
 struct TST3 {
 CharU Char;
 Char2U Char2;
 }
(note: there is no semicolon after union or struct definitions) Outputs: TST.sizeof=4,TST2.sizeof=4,TST3.sizeof=4 --anders
Nov 20 2004