digitalmars.D - abi specs, multiple linkages, binary symbol information

reply Jakob Praher <jpraher yahoo.de> writes:
hi all,

I like the D language. Since I also play with gcj (the static gcc java
compiler), which has a new ABI (additional to the c++ linkage), I was
wondering about the default D ABI:

* how classes/modules/functions/methods are mangled
* which type codes exist
* is there a way to describe any type using a type code (which is
probably needed for method overloading )

* is there a way to specifiy versioning in the ABI
* since D has its own linkage (opposed to C++ linkage) I would
appreciate a less is more approach and a more stable ABI like that of C++

Yes I looked at DMD but I thought, it would be pleased to know there is
a written spec (the language reference is quite quiet about that).

What would be interesting is to support many different types of
ABIs/Linkages.
This could be done by "helping" the compiler to understand the ABI that
one is using.

And: As the language is specified today, is there a way to do a load
time linking?

I would be interested to link GCJ shared objects against D in a very
native form, so that one could use for instance the many java libs
already developed.

for instance

 gcj import org.apache.xalan...TransformerImpl;
 gcj import java.lang.String;

int main( char[][] args ) {
	TransformerImpl impl = new TransformerImpl( );

Plus: In order for instance to export a D class to be linked with GCJ,
one clearly needs more meta information exposed in the object file, or
distilled from the D sources.

For me I'd favor the first approach, which would be interesting, since
one could link against a D object file without the need of the
corresponding D source code.

The metadata approach used by GCJ is very straigt forward:

* There is an UTF8 table
* There is a Method table for each method of a class
* There are some other tables for Class Descriptors ...
* The method table contains also all the referenced methods (not only
the ones defined)
* There is a Class table for each class (which contains links to the
other tables)

	- vtable  (the class's methods)
these tables are used for the java binary compatiblity stuff:
	- otable  (offset table for referenced objects by an offset)
	- atable  (address table for referenced objects via address)
	- itable  (interface table)

Surely the simplicity of the java type system allows for a simple
implementation of that. D would need some more meta information
(modules, functions, custom types. .... )

But it would be an interesting task, since then binary compatiblity in D
would be more stable. And the interoperabilty between the gcj project
and D could also be interesting.

looking forward to some discussions

-- Jakob
Oct 10 2004
next sibling parent "Thomas Kuehne" <eisvogel users.sourceforge.net> writes:
Jakob Praher schrieb:
[...]

The cross linking between D and Java libs via gcd/gcc/gcj would be realy interesting. I'm not sure how GCJ handles Java's VM. The potential huge probelms I see is be that D is a garbage colleted but Java normaly uses a full blown VM to enable runtime reflections and runtime loading of additional libs. Currently the D language documentation requires a maior overhaul to transform it in to a specification/standard. Until then - I guess - there won't be any progress on the cross linking front. Thomas
Oct 17 2004
prev sibling parent "Ben Hinkle" <bhinkle mathworks.com> writes:
"Jakob Praher" <jpraher yahoo.de> wrote in message
news:ckc8t2$312l$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]

I was looking forward to something like that, too. The D ABI might be too different from g++/gcj to make this work, though. Try posting to the d.gnu newsgroup or try pinging David Friedman. Interoperability (more than through C) with Java/C++ would be very cool. Maybe the D.NET effort could also shed some light on the task. Walter has said that once D settles down the ABI could be documented and frozen but I think he's reluctant to document all the mangling and such now.
[...]

You seem to know quite a bit about the gcj and I'm guessing the probably you and David (and Walter on the D side)are the most expert (the only experts?) about this kind of thing. I'll be very interesting in testing or debugging whatever you come up with. -Ben
Oct 18 2004