digitalmars.D - Damn you !

reply h3r3tic <foo bar.baz> writes:
I have to write some C++ code and I keep typing writefln instead of
std::cout and foreach instead of wicked for's... There shoud be a
disclaimer on the main digitalmars' page: "WARNING: Once you try D you
will never want to come back to C++". And now what ? I'm having a
programming contest   the university on Saturday and it's gonna be in
C++. I used to be pretty fluent in it and now ? I'm screwed cuz I'm
gonna write D style arrays, string slices, I'm gonna forget about
delete's and use writefln for text output. Not to mention forgetting
about the -> operator...
If D doesn't rule the world, I'm switching to Brainfuck or Cobol as a
sign of protest.
Oct 07 2004
next sibling parent "Carlos Santander B." <carlos8294 msn.com> writes:
"h3r3tic" <foo bar.baz> escribió en el mensaje
news:ck4f42$2sc0$1 digitaldaemon.com...
|I have to write some C++ code and I keep typing writefln instead of
| std::cout and foreach instead of wicked for's... There shoud be a
| disclaimer on the main digitalmars' page: "WARNING: Once you try D you
| will never want to come back to C++". And now what ? I'm having a
| programming contest   the university on Saturday and it's gonna be in
| C++. I used to be pretty fluent in it and now ? I'm screwed cuz I'm
| gonna write D style arrays, string slices, I'm gonna forget about
| delete's and use writefln for text output. Not to mention forgetting
| about the -> operator...
| If D doesn't rule the world, I'm switching to Brainfuck or Cobol as a
| sign of protest.

lol! I think Walter warned about that once.

-----------------------
Carlos Santander Bernal
Oct 07 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent Ben Hinkle <bhinkle4 juno.com> writes:
h3r3tic wrote:

 I have to write some C++ code and I keep typing writefln instead of
 std::cout and foreach instead of wicked for's... There shoud be a
 disclaimer on the main digitalmars' page: "WARNING: Once you try D you
 will never want to come back to C++". And now what ? I'm having a
 programming contest   the university on Saturday and it's gonna be in
 C++. I used to be pretty fluent in it and now ? I'm screwed cuz I'm
 gonna write D style arrays, string slices, I'm gonna forget about
 delete's and use writefln for text output. Not to mention forgetting
 about the -> operator...
 If D doesn't rule the world, I'm switching to Brainfuck or Cobol as a
 sign of protest.
Funny, I just had a similar experience at work today. I had to append to an array (it was from old C code that hasn't been updated to use vector) and found myself typing D instead of C++. As I typed the equivalent C every keystroke hurt.
Oct 07 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent "Matthew" <admin.hat stlsoft.dot.org> writes:
"h3r3tic" <foo bar.baz> wrote in message news:ck4f42$2sc0$1 digitaldaemon.com...
I have to write some C++ code and I keep typing writefln instead of std::cout
and foreach instead of wicked for's...
There shoud be a disclaimer on the main digitalmars' page: "WARNING: Once you
try D you will never want to come back to
C++". And now what ? I'm having a programming contest   the university on
Saturday and it's gonna be in C++. I used to
be pretty fluent in it and now ? I'm screwed cuz I'm gonna write D style
arrays, string slices, I'm gonna forget about
delete's and use writefln for text output. Not to mention forgetting about the
-> operator...
 If D doesn't rule the world, I'm switching to Brainfuck or Cobol as a sign of
protest.
I've found it more of a +ve, in that I seek to enhance/extend C++ in a D-like manner. (I'm just writing an article on subscripting for CUJ that's heavily influenceD <g>) Matthew P.S. Of course, the array-slicing just can't be beaten. :-)
Oct 07 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "Walter" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
"h3r3tic" <foo bar.baz> wrote in message
news:ck4f42$2sc0$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 I have to write some C++ code and I keep typing writefln instead of
 std::cout and foreach instead of wicked for's... There shoud be a
 disclaimer on the main digitalmars' page: "WARNING: Once you try D you
 will never want to come back to C++". And now what ? I'm having a
 programming contest   the university on Saturday and it's gonna be in
 C++. I used to be pretty fluent in it and now ? I'm screwed cuz I'm
 gonna write D style arrays, string slices, I'm gonna forget about
 delete's and use writefln for text output. Not to mention forgetting
 about the -> operator...
 If D doesn't rule the world, I'm switching to Brainfuck or Cobol as a
 sign of protest.
<g> I've always thought that the true test of D comes when a C++ expert writes enough D code to get used to it, and then tried to go back to C++.
Oct 08 2004
parent reply Sjoerd van Leent <svanleent wanadoo.nl> writes:
Walter wrote:
[...]

Now I know, that's why the word "derevolution" does not exist, it is simply impossible to do. Regards, Sjoerd
Oct 08 2004
parent Alex Vincent <ajvincent gmail.com> writes:
 Now I know, that's why the word "derevolution" does not exist, it is
 simply impossible to do.
Indeed not. That is why derevolution will not betelevised.
Oct 13 2004
prev sibling parent reply kinghajj <kinghajj_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <ck4f42$2sc0$1 digitaldaemon.com>, h3r3tic says...
I have to write some C++ code and I keep typing writefln instead of
std::cout and foreach instead of wicked for's... There shoud be a
disclaimer on the main digitalmars' page: "WARNING: Once you try D you
will never want to come back to C++". And now what ? I'm having a
programming contest   the university on Saturday and it's gonna be in
C++. I used to be pretty fluent in it and now ? I'm screwed cuz I'm
gonna write D style arrays, string slices, I'm gonna forget about
delete's and use writefln for text output. Not to mention forgetting
about the -> operator...
Maybe start a D programming contest then?
If D doesn't rule the world, I'm switching to Brainfuck or Cobol as a
sign of protest.
I'd never use Brainfuck for serious programing. Nor Cobol (it looks difficult to write).
Oct 08 2004
parent Sjoerd van Leent <svanleent wanadoo.nl> writes:
kinghajj wrote:
[...]

Surely the inventor of Cobol must have been stoned. It isn't a language, it is a complete religion. Regards, Sjoerd
Oct 09 2004