digitalmars.D - the gdb debuger on windows

reply Ant <Ant_member pathlink.com> writes:
I tried the gdb debuger with the hello.d from the D samples,
it gives "unrecognized format" or something like that.

is it possible to use gdb with dmd and the dm linker on windows?

Ant
Oct 06 2004
next sibling parent reply "Ben Hinkle" <bhinkle mathworks.com> writes:
I assume you're using cygwin or maybe mingw? I think someone else has tried
using dmd with cygwin though I can't remember exactly. Check out the d.gnu
newsgroup

"Ant" <Ant_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:ck0rbi$2cn1$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 I tried the gdb debuger with the hello.d from the D samples,
 it gives "unrecognized format" or something like that.

 is it possible to use gdb with dmd and the dm linker on windows?

 Ant
Oct 06 2004
parent Ant <Ant_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <ck0u4o$2fao$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Ben Hinkle says...
I assume you're using cygwin or maybe mingw?
mingw, I was surprise I had to download ONLY the gdb.exe. I was afraid I had to install lots and lots of dlls and support progs.
I think someone else has tried
using dmd with cygwin though I can't remember exactly. Check out the d.gnu
newsgroup
does it means it doesn't work with dmd? I'm trying to avoid installing gcc on windows. I'm trying to have my D windows environment on my 128M USB flash memory thing - so far it's more than enough; including the GTK+ libs. Ant
Oct 06 2004
prev sibling parent reply Ilya Minkov <minkov cs.tum.edu> writes:
Ant schrieb:

 I tried the gdb debuger with the hello.d from the D samples,
 it gives "unrecognized format" or something like that.
Right.
 is it possible to use gdb with dmd and the dm linker on windows?
No, it shouldn't. DMD only has one debug information format (CodeView), which is not among what gdb knows. CodeView format has changed a number of times, thus a fairly large MS library is requiered to process it uniformly. You can rip dbgeng.dll, dbghelp.dll and cdb.exe from Microsoft Debugging Tools for Windows NT/2000/XP to get a command-line debugger, about 3 megabytes total. -eye
Oct 06 2004
next sibling parent Ant <Ant_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <ck1bab$2tdk$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Ilya Minkov says...
Ant schrieb:

 I tried the gdb debuger with the hello.d from the D samples,
 it gives "unrecognized format" or something like that.
Right.
 is it possible to use gdb with dmd and the dm linker on windows?
No, it shouldn't. DMD only has one debug information format (CodeView), which is not among what gdb knows. CodeView format has changed a number of times, thus a fairly large MS library is requiered to process it uniformly. You can rip dbgeng.dll, dbghelp.dll and cdb.exe from Microsoft Debugging Tools for Windows NT/2000/XP to get a command-line debugger, about 3 megabytes total. -eye
thanks, I'll try that. Ant
Oct 06 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent "Walter" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
"Ilya Minkov" <minkov cs.tum.edu> wrote in message
news:ck1bab$2tdk$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Ant schrieb:

 I tried the gdb debuger with the hello.d from the D samples,
 it gives "unrecognized format" or something like that.
Right.
 is it possible to use gdb with dmd and the dm linker on windows?
No, it shouldn't. DMD only has one debug information format (CodeView), which is not among what gdb knows. CodeView format has changed a number of times, thus a fairly large MS library is requiered to process it uniformly.
The version of DMD I'm currently working on does a lot better job of putting out Codeview 4 symbolic debug info. Windbg.exe works fine with it. I'm also trying to figure out the dwarf2 format so that we can at least get line numbers for elf debugging.
Oct 06 2004
prev sibling parent reply Mark T <Mark_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <ck1bab$2tdk$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Ilya Minkov says...
CodeView format has changed a number of times, thus a fairly large MS
library is requiered to process it uniformly.

You can rip dbgeng.dll, dbghelp.dll and cdb.exe from Microsoft Debugging
Tools for Windows NT/2000/XP to get a command-line debugger, about 3
megabytes total.
Does come with Visual C++ 6? Visual .NET 7.1 ? or where else do you find these thanks
Oct 07 2004
parent Ant <Ant_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <ck4396$2094$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Mark T says...
In article <ck1bab$2tdk$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Ilya Minkov says...
CodeView format has changed a number of times, thus a fairly large MS
library is requiered to process it uniformly.

You can rip dbgeng.dll, dbghelp.dll and cdb.exe from Microsoft Debugging
Tools for Windows NT/2000/XP to get a command-line debugger, about 3
megabytes total.
Does come with Visual C++ 6? Visual .NET 7.1 ? or where else do you find these thanks
google give this back: http://www.wxwindows.org/lnk_msw.htm check the "here" link. Ant
Oct 07 2004